Transfer rumours

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Makes sense. Mubama is a London lad and it's a 40 minute train ride, or a 1 hour drive back home. Perhaps that plays into it, given he remains in West Ham's emploi and is likely still hopeful of making a breakthrough there.

He’s been released hasn’t he?

2 hours ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

Might be a stretch, but listening to the Warne interview on Rams Daily @ 2:50 in, it sounds like Thommo could be loaned out?

Warne - "I've signed 3 midfielders in front of him (Fornah), and also obviously Thommo, and he knows I'm going to sign somebody else too. There's not many managers that sign players currently below what they've currently got (quality wise)."

I took that as Thompson is a bench option primarily and isn’t viewed as a starter. 

7 minutes ago, Gary Teale said:

Was told someone was there today being shown around, had some grey in their hair, (please dont laugh), looked like Liam Cooper from Leeds?

Was on pompeys radar, wouldn’t mind him coming on a years deal 

2 hours ago, Round the Houses said:

From what I’m led to believe, it’s Alfie Devine that will be speaking with Paul Warne. He’s admired him for a while and even watched him at England Under 20s level. 

Looks like a goudmijn type player with a good long pass on him. Makes sense to share goudmijn workload 

22 minutes ago, Srg said:

He’s been released hasn’t he?

I took that as Thompson is a bench option primarily and isn’t viewed as a starter. 

Ah, thought he was going on on loan. Might be confusing him with Ozoh to be fair.

EDIT: There was a small clue for anyone who is not an idiot, doh!

image.thumb.png.f6486952c5f3c6bd8e68bad81ed9c44d.png

Edited by Comrade 86

When people say they don’t like the window, is that because they think it should close before the season starts or that it should remain open throughout the season?  I must admit I like the period we can sign players - it is quite interesting to see the rumours, the excitement of a new signing coming in, anticipation of seeing them play etc etc.  When the window shuts it takes a little something away from bathe overall enjoyment for me. Obviously, it’s minor relative to the matches themselves but it just adds that little bit for me.

Therefore I much preferred the olden days of being able to sign somebody through most of the season (was the deadline March or something- my memory isn’t what it was).  Kept that interest going and gave an opportunity to address issues when they cropped up. Recognise that now with the massive disparities in finances that model couldn’t work anymore. Would just mean clubs like City buying any and all players who were in a bit of form both to strengthen and disrupt other teams.

So we’re stuck with what we have - but the longer the window the better.  Keeps me coming back to this entertaining thread if nothing else!! 

28 minutes ago, Gary Teale said:

Was told someone was there today being shown around, had some grey in their hair, (please dont laugh), looked like Liam Cooper from Leeds?

I’m not against this, we are lacking some leadership and organisation, but we’d still need to bring in a pacey CB too. If we got to 3 at the back 5 out and out CBs would be good. 

14 minutes ago, Topram said:

Warne was at Leeds boro last night, obviously to watch Boro but I’m sure he’d have one eye on Corburn too

I think there is more chance of me finding a million quid than the permed one sanctioning that.  I imagine the same would apply in reverse.

Relistened to Warne’s comments and I’ve changed my mind by what he meant on Thompson. I think he was just saying that we’ve signed three midfielders and we’ve still got Thompson. Don't think it was anymore than that… just a conversation around signing players so was phrased in that way. 

1 hour ago, Gary Teale said:

Asked someone I know with links to Cooper and seems you’re correct.
No guarantee he signs but would be an interesting option. He’s a leader, experienced at this level and PL, but 32 and not played much the last couple of years. Would bring further depth and relative quality to the options at cb.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Asked someone I know with links to Cooper and seems you’re correct.
No guarantee he signs but would be an interesting option. He’s a leader, experienced at this level and PL, but 32 and not played much the last couple of years. Would bring further depth and relative quality to the options at cb.

Has he got pace?

2 hours ago, Round the Houses said:

From what I’m led to believe, it’s Alfie Devine that will be speaking with Paul Warne. He’s admired him for a while and even watched him at England Under 20s level. 

He lacks the defensive contribution I'd expect from what Warne is moving towards, but is very good at everything else. It's hard to get the perfect player in our situation, so perhaps it's an area Warne's willing to sacrifice or whwre he can improve.

If we're talking PL loans who were in the Champiosnhip last season, Yasin Ayari (Brighton) is one of the better options, but doesn't dribble as much as I'd like. Was at Coventry and Blackburn last season.

Charlie Patino (Arsenal) showed a lot of promise last season (at Swansea) and would be a fantastic loan. However, he has only 1 year left on his contract and he won't be renewing, so it'd be interesting to see what he'll go for this summer.

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dunno, but I suspect not 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

After Warne wanting pace at the back be strange to go sign a player slower than what we’ve got