Punching above our weight. What do you think would elevate us above mid table next season?

3 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Wayne Rooney England , I know whilst not playing for us but very high profile and world wide known 

Of course, but he hasn't even used that qualification in the post I quoted, instead he's flat out stated no internationals since 1999, despite there having been literally dozens of them! Mind boggling.

56 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fornah - Sierra Leone
Hourihane - Rep. of Ireland
Elder - Australia
Forsyth - Scotland
Collins - Rep. of Ireland
Adams - Gambia
Mendez-Laing - Guatemala
Nyambe - Namibia

There's probably more that I've missed, but how could a self-professed football expert not know that on occasions as recently as a few months back, more than half of our starting 11 were current, or ex-internationals?

I know Mexico has it's issues, but surely a 25 year internet outage isn't one of them!

How could you forget to memtion Claude Davis, Mile Sterjovski and Andrejs Perepļotkins...?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fornah - Sierra Leone
Elder - Australia
Forsyth - Scotland
Adams - Gambia
Mendez-Laing - Guatemala
Nyambe - Namibia

There's probably more that I've missed, but how could a self-professed football expert not know that on occasions as recently as a few months back, more than half of our starting 11 were current, or ex-internationals?

I know Mexico has its issues, but surely a 25 year internet outage isn't one of them!

Off the top of my head over the last few years we’ve also had;

Jason Knight - Republic of Ireland

Richard Keogh - Republic of Ireland

Alex Pearce - Republic of Ireland

Kamil Jozwiak - Poland

Kristian Bielik - Poland

Tom Lawrence - Wales

Joe Ledley - Wales

Harry Wilson - Wales (when on loan)

Mason Mount - England (when on loan)

Conor Washington - Northern Ireland

but yeah….no international players since Stimac and Wanchope in the mid to late 90s 🙄 

EDIT - just thought, Rasiak was a Poland international too wasn’t he? 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Kamil Jozwiak - Poland

Kristian Bielik - Poland

Tom Lawrence - Wales

Joe Ledley - Wales

but yeah….no international players since Stimac and Wanchope in the mid to late 90s 🙄 

Seth Johnson didn't leave until after Stimac and Wanchope too IIRC, but he probably doesn't count as an international as he only played for England 😂

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Fornah - Sierra Leone
Elder - Australia
Forsyth - Scotland
Adams - Gambia
Mendez-Laing - Guatemala
Nyambe - Namibia

I know Mexico has it's issues, but surely a 25 year internet outage isn't one of them!

Yes I’m sure those countries are going to set up exclusive broadcasting deals to show games of Derby County because of James Collins and Nathaniel Medez Lang.

Like I said, elite players playing for big clubs gets wider recognition. Mexico had ESPN broadcasting deals to follow the likes Gimenez. These clubs grow their reputation by having star players of those nations playing for them. Man Utd signed players like Chicharito, Kagawa and J Sung Park largely because of the audience they bring.

Derby aren’t a big club outside of Derby. 

40 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Kamil Jozwiak - Poland

Kristian Bielik - Poland

Tom Lawrence - Wales

Joe Ledley - Wales

How many of these are international stars who would attract a following?

How many of these are regulars for a club playing European football?

Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Yes I’m sure those countries are going to set up exclusive broadcasting deals to show games of Derby County because of James Collins and Nathaniel Medez Lang.

Like I said, elite players playing for big clubs gets wider recognition. Mexico had ESPN broadcasting deals to follow the likes Gimenez. These clubs grow their reputation by having star players of those nations playing for them. Man Utd signed players like Chicharito, Kagawa and J Sung Park largely because of the audience they bring.

You said we'd had no internationals and that's the quote I used and responded to. It's not my fault you don't know your arse from your elbow so don't take it out on me 😉

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Mason  Mount , Manchester United.

Tom Lawrence , Rangers.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

You said we'd had no internationals and that's the quote I used and responded to. It's not my fault you don't know your arse from your elbow so don't take it out on me 😉

It was obvious what I meant, and an insignificant part of the debate.

How does having James Collins make us a big club? It doesn’t. 

Having elite internationals do though. 

How could you forget CONOR SAMMON!

Villarreal don't even have regional support. The only time they get close to filling their 23,000 capacity stadium is when they play Real Madrid or Barcelona. We filled ours numerous times, against the likes of Oxford and Carlisle IN THE 3RD TIER.

Why do you reckon a "world famous" club only averages 16,000 at home? Are the tickets too expensive? Or are they simply neither would famous nor a "big" club?

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yet

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Mason Mount was on loan, Tom Lawrence is an average footballer.

Whether Tom is average is irrelevant. He played for Wales when with Derby so is an international footballer.

Here's another international who played for us post 1999... Branko Strupar. The list is long.

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I love how much you’ll move the goalposts to die on any particular hill you created for yourself.
You said we’ve had no international players since Stimac and Wanchope, that’s the statement you made, you didn’t qualify it further with any additional conditions around those stars having a “following”.

I still agree with you that Villarreal and West Ham are currently bigger clubs than Derby, I just think the way you’re qualifying your opinion on it is questionable and smacks once more of you parading your opinion as superior to anyone else