Early Realistic Aspirations for 24/25

30 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Call it whatever you like, but I still say expectations of playoffs or higher at this point in time are unrealistic. 

I would agree but trying to link it something else is reaching

13 minutes ago, Crewton said:

@Patrick Rams mentioned Ipswich whilst talking about a playoff push. The post earned both 'likes' and applause. I didn't make it up.

You know what I mean. Linking optimistic expectations to the same  posters slagging Warne when we don't cone top 6.

Posted (edited)

I just dont think you can expect any more than being out of the relegation battle

staying up will be a success

staying out of the scrap will be a good season

anything else will be a bonus, lets temper our expectations and be realistic. there is a big jump between league one and the championship and we werent that convincing this season despite being able to grind out results. the worry at the moment is our managers track record at this level.

Edited by alram

20 minutes ago, sage said:

You know what I mean. Linking optimistic expectations to the same  posters slagging Warne when we don't cone top 6.

I didn't name any poster in my original post?

This is all very strange. 

You could well argue that, as of this very moment with the players contracted to the club, we are the weakest team in the league. The expectation is we are going to be in a relegation battle with 8-10 different clubs even with significant investment. The hope is that we can smash recruitment out the park and potentially give ourselves a chance to look up rather than down, but it’s no easy task and everyone is looking to get ahead. 

£100 that Derby get relegated or finish top half.. I would say the former is more likely to happen. 

Don't flirt with relegation, and don't buy 5+ 30somethings to achieve that
Have the U18s & U21s kick on, and be comfortable enough in the league to give a few youngsters a proper run in the team.

Lower mid-table, a bit of a cup run, and a good kernel of a team to challenge in 2025/26 would do me

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

You could well argue that, as of this very moment with the players contracted to the club, we are the weakest team in the league. The expectation is we are going to be in a relegation battle with 8-10 different clubs even with significant investment. The hope is that we can smash recruitment out the park and potentially give ourselves a chance to look up rather than down, but it’s no easy task and everyone is looking to get ahead. 

£100 that Derby get relegated or finish top half.. I would say the former is more likely to happen. 

Is zero point basing it on players at the club now, this season I think Millwall finished top half and were relegation threatened with about five games left. Is not much of a gap between the two areas.

not much you can do on recruitment other than wait and see!

On 18/05/2024 at 17:29, DE56Ram said:

We’ve got to be ambitious 

every Derby team that ever got promoted was in the past. 
it’s a good place to be a positive mind set.

With an owner that is ambitious and wants success because he’s a fan, and because he’s intimated that there is a Championship investor lined up, I think we will surprise a few.

it all depends on the quality of the signings and how they integrate and settle-in to the squad/area/expectations

im betting on Derby strengthening with top end Championship additions. 

I think we’ll do very well indeed, without knowing who these additions will be but since I’m expecting some high quality, I’m going for a top six finish. We’re on an upward curve, the crap is firmly pushed behind us. COYR 😃

I've missed the bit about an investor being lined up, when was this said?

Why can't we expect a good run at top 6? We'll have a good budget and will be an 'attractive' and ambitious club, with a 'successful' manager wanting to prove himself.

Why on earth would we settle for bottom half of the Championship? 

8 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Is zero point basing it on players at the club now, this season I think Millwall finished top half and were relegation threatened with about five games left. Is not much of a gap between the two areas.

not much you can do on recruitment other than wait and see!

Of course, I was effectively saying the same that we are really an unknown and potentially 12 to 14 players of our first 20 man squad opening day aren’t at the club. It’s unlikely that everyone we sign is a success too, more so that typically one in every three signings can be seen as a success - it’s a huge job for the club. 

We are lucky in one sense that we have a completely blank slate to work upon, but possibly left ourselves too much work. 

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Of course, I was effectively saying the same that we are really an unknown and potentially 12 to 14 players of our first 20 man squad opening day aren’t at the club. It’s unlikely that everyone we sign is a success too, more so that typically one in every three signings can be seen as a success - it’s a huge job for the club. 

We are lucky in one sense that we have a completely blank slate to work upon, but possibly left ourselves too much work. 

Agree, feels good to have no real dead weight as such at the club. Think everyone contracted can play a part.

think loans from the prem are a huge part of championship sides, although the fees for them loans seem to be rising all the time.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why can't we expect a good run at top 6? We'll have a good budget and will be an 'attractive' and ambitious club, with a 'successful' manager wanting to prove himself.

Maybe because in your opinion the manager wasn’t good enough for a league one team.

18 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Maybe because in your opinion the manager wasn’t good enough for a league one team.

So you're saying the manager isn't good enough, because I didn't say that in my post.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

You said it last season, you wanted him sacked, now your saying we should be expecting top six in a higher division with the same manager 😂

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I asked why can't we expect a good run at top 6. You give me the answer why not matey. 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, Foreveram said:

Everyone else has blocked you and I’m not coming out to play 😛

Do please join them then because you're not able to come up with a good reply as to 'why can't we expect a good run at top 6', are you. 😄

2 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Agree, feels good to have no real dead weight as such at the club. Think everyone contracted can play a part.

think loans from the prem are a huge part of championship sides, although the fees for them loans seem to be rising all the time.

You mentioned that Clowes intimated that he had a championship investor, when was that said?

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I asked why can't we expect a good run at top 6. You give me the answer why not matey. 😄

A number of reasons why we can't expect a good run at a top 6 place. 

There are more than 6 teams with much bigger budgets than we'll have. 

There are more than 6 teams who already have more players than Derby with recent premier and championship experience. 

There are more than 6 teams who don't need to rebuild like Derby have to.

There was a report highlighted on one of the topics regarding the average wage bill of teams promoted to the premier, it was over £60m, we will be no where near that. 

We're can hope and dream of a top six place, but to expect it, that's delusional. 

Or maybe your deliberately setting unrealistic targets, so you can say that the club have failed at the end of the season?