Derby memories help please.

Bigunder

Many years ago, like early 1980s I used to spend school holidays in Littleover with my cousins. 

Years later my daughter has moved to Derby and I’m finding myself back there often, I will be there for a few days from this Thursday.

I’ve been in the city centre trying to remember it. There was no Derbion back then of course but I remember a big indoor market. A bit dark inside there was a stall where everyone used to get their Pod shoes, kids were all wearing Farah trousers, Fred Perry shirts and waffle knit jumpers.

Is that indoor market still there anywhere? Where can I find it? If it is gone then where was it? Almost grateful for any help from any folk. 

btw, used to catch the first game of the season if it was at Baseball Ground. Derby County in second division. Great memories of standing in the Pop side. 

thanks in advance.

There was a market at the side of what was the Eagle Centre and now redeveloped into the Derbion.  It’s recently closed ready for further redevelopment.  If you go into the Derbion and find the Derby Theatre it was opposite that.

The other market was the Old Market Hall, which is opposite the Council House near the river. It’s been shut for what seems like over  5 years to be refurbished. That’s the second time in my lifetime.

Thanks Boycie, 

I have a feeling that it was Eagle, though my memory might be playing tricks on me. I will have a look round there on Thursday/Friday and see if there is anything to jog my memory. 

15 hours ago, Bigunder said:

There was no Derbion back then of course but I remember a big indoor market. A bit dark inside there was a stall where everyone used to get their Pod shoes, kids were all wearing Farah trousers, Fred Perry shirts and waffle knit jumpers.

thanks in advance.

There was a stall in the old Eagle Centre that sold the above, An old friend worked there...Lloyd Wint, Pretty sure it was on the edge or near the edge when you went in there from the Castle and Falcon entrance on East Street.

I can't remember any stalls in the Market Hall that sold fashionable clothes, The only decent stall there was Felix records owned by Richard Felix who's now/was a very good historian.

Sorry to say altho i'm Derby born and bred that our town is suffering from neglect in places 👎

Yes Ram-Alf, thank you - that’s one thing I do remember about it is that it was over against the side. Everybody was wearing these Pod shoes and they were all bought from here. Pretty sure it was Eagle now. I’m going to have a good look at that area tomorrow. 

Don’t be too down on Derby, you are describing a nationwide problem as we are transitioning from traditional commercial city centres. I get around the country quite a lot and Derby is definitely one of the better places.

24 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Ram-Alf I fixed to for you, the Council destroyed the city center in the 1960s as I am sure you remember

I remember it well, Just think what we could have done if left as was, A York perhaps?, Maybe a Chester?, If you go out of the back door of Jorrocks pub it takes you alongside Sadler gate, Where the Tiger Bar is at the old fish market look to your right above and you'll see the outline of an old police station from the 1800s, Stand where the Assembly rooms are and to the left of the Guildhall you'll see a pub sign the Royal Oak I think that never opened...if still there🤷‍♂️ A shedload of history gone in a stroke of a planners pencil 👎 

Edited by Ram-Alf

4 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I remember it well, Just think what we could have done if left as was, A York perhaps?, Maybe a Chester?, If you go out of the back door of Jorrocks pub it takes you alongside Sadler gate, Where the Tiger Bar is at the old fish market look to your right above and you'll see the outline of an old police station from the 1800s, A shedload of history gone in a stroke of a planners pencil 👎 

I did read that at one time Derby had more medieval buildings than York, The Council soon sorted that out. I remember going through the Town centre and there were huge areas that had been demolished especially behind the Cheddar Cheese 

12 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I did read that at one time Derby had more medieval buildings than York, The Council soon sorted that out. I remember going through the Town centre and there were huge areas that had been demolished especially behind the Cheddar Cheese 

Down the alley and took you toimage.png.a9146f1564ba69bbe477c271786fed16.png Pit Hills cobbled street ☺️

Edited by Ram-Alf

32 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I remember it well, Just think what we could have done if left as was, A York perhaps?, Maybe a Chester?, If you go out of the back door of Jorrocks pub it takes you alongside Sadler gate, Where the Tiger Bar is at the old fish market look to your right above and you'll see the outline of an old police station from the 1800s, Stand where the Assembly rooms are and to the left of the Guildhall you'll see a pub sign the Royal Oak I think that never opened...if still there🤷‍♂️ A shedload of history gone in a stroke of a planners pencil 👎 

There are lots of tunnels under the streets as well that go from building to building. Again if pumped out and well maintained would be a tourist attraction 

19 hours ago, Bigunder said:

I’ve been in the city centre trying to remember it. There was no Derbion back then of course but I remember a big indoor market. A bit dark inside there was a stall where everyone used to get their Pod shoes, kids were all wearing Farah trousers, Fred Perry shirts and waffle knit jumpers.

We had a shop in Derby called Harry Fenton down Sadler Gate, That shop either closed down or opened a smaller outlet in the Eagle Centre...pretty sure this is the stall you're on about 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

There are lots of tunnels under the streets as well that go from building to building. Again if pumped out and well maintained would be a tourist attraction 

It's the Ghost Walk used to be run by Richard Felix, The City Council would only let Richard use part of it as I think Markeaton Brook was to close by.

A few years ago, One of the tunnels was used by a...shall we say...thief to come up into the Royal Telegraph pub on Traffic Street and pinch a shedload of bottled spirits 

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

They certainly had one of three Georgian squares remaining in the UK. Then built the car park off Chapel Street and a road.

43 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

It's the Ghost Walk used to be run by Richard Felix, The City Council would only let Richard use part of it as I think Markeaton Brook was to close by.

A few years ago, One of the tunnels was used by a...shall we say...thief to come up into the Royal Telegraph pub on Traffic Street and pinch a shedload of bottled spirits 

Spirits?  On a Ghost walk?  

For the reason, I'm out!  

source.gif

55 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

We had a shop in Derby called Harry Fenton down Sadler Gate, That shop either closed down or opened a smaller outlet in the Eagle Centre...pretty sure this is the stall you're on about 🤷‍♂️

Harry Fenton and his Ben Sherman lookalike shirts 

8 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Harry Fenton and his Ben Sherman lookalike shirts 

I bought my 1st one there, It was a James McFarlane check shirt, Button down collar and short sleeved, When you only earned £6.50 a week and gave your mum £2 and the Tories took 57p national ins...saving a few new pence was a must 😁

55 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

My Dad drove those buses, His tea room was on Tenant Street and they changed the poles at the market place...wait till Kathcairns sees this thread 😁   

They had those long bamboo sticks with a hook on the end to change the poles, in wet weather the cables would spark especially when they went over a cable junction. 

And the penalty for spitting on a bus was 10\-

Sitting upstairs on a Trolly bus watching Boker Wright and Winnie Austin fighting outside the Spotted Horse, such memories. 🙄

Edited by Elwood P Dowd