Derby memories help please.

Bigunder

31 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

They had those long bamboo sticks with a hook on the end to change the poles, in wet weather the cables would spark especially when they went over a cable junction. 

And the penalty for spitting on a bus was 10\-

Sitting upstairs on a Trolly bus watching Boker Wright and Winnie Austin fighting outside the Spotted Horse, such memories. 🙄

Not sure I should post this...but I will, My Dad in 1963 knocked down and killed a pensioner at the corner of Friar Gate and Uttoxeter Rd where the Garrick pub was while driving his bus, The "Clippie" fainted, It was a very foggy day and the poor sod walked straight into the bus.

How about this, The following year he received an award for his driving as he was absolved from all responsibility for the old mans death.  

3 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Not sure I should post this...but I will, My Dad in 1963 knocked down and killed a pensioner at the corner of Friar Gate and Uttoxeter Rd where the Garrick pub was while driving his bus, The "Clippie" fainted, It was a very foggy day and the poor sod walked straight into the bus.

How about this, The following year he received an award for his driving as he was absolved from all responsibility for the old mans death.  

Accidents happen mate and your dad was exonerated. 

I’ve found the entrance to former Eagle Market, had some strong memory vibes close to the Castle & Falcon. Also River Gardens were a clear memory, felt like they hadn’t changed much.  
I wonder if anyone remembers a record shop in the city centre, entrance off a main road, and up some stairs - the record shop was on the first floor? Early 1980s.

Having a great time exploring, even in the rain. 

24 minutes ago, Bigunder said:

I’ve found the entrance to former Eagle Market, had some strong memory vibes close to the Castle & Falcon. Also River Gardens were a clear memory, felt like they hadn’t changed much.  
I wonder if anyone remembers a record shop in the city centre, entrance off a main road, and up some stairs - the record shop was on the first floor? Early 1980s.

Having a great time exploring, even in the rain. 

Have a look here @Bigunder they may jog your memory

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/way-ahead-hmv-virgin-pictures-6903459

https://www.crichparish-ww1.co.uk/ww1webpages/zeppelinraidderby.html#:~:text=On this day (February 1,attack due to the shock.

Zeppelin bombs Derby WW1

However, just after midnight on February 1, L14 was over Derby, where it dropped its remaining 21 high explosive bombs and four incendiaries at nine locations on the south side of the city. No-one knows the exact order of the raid, but from the spread of the targets – Royce’s in the south to the Locomotive Works of the Midland Railway in the north and the Etches Park gas works in the east – it suggests that L14 approached from the south, working roughly north along the Osmaston Road at about 8,000ft before bombing the Loco Works and then ending up at the gas works.

For the rest follow the link above

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

1 hour ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

https://www.crichparish-ww1.co.uk/ww1webpages/zeppelinraidderby.html#:~:text=On this day (February 1,attack due to the shock.

Zeppelin bombs Derby WW1

However, just after midnight on February 1, L14 was over Derby, where it dropped its remaining 21 high explosive bombs and four incendiaries at nine locations on the south side of the city. No-one knows the exact order of the raid, but from the spread of the targets – Royce’s in the south to the Locomotive Works of the Midland Railway in the north and the Etches Park gas works in the east – it suggests that L14 approached from the south, working roughly north along the Osmaston Road at about 8,000ft before bombing the Loco Works and then ending up at the gas works.

For the rest follow the link above

There's a bomb crater on Osmaston Park, I wonder if this is where one of the bombs hit?

Edited by Ram-Alf

26 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

There's a bomb crater on Osmaston Park, I wonder if this is where one of the bombs hit?

I know one fell at the top of Bateman Street, the Osmaston Road end.

i always wondered about the depression in Osmaston park !!

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

11 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I know one fell at the top of Bateman Street, the Osmaston Road end.

i always wondered about the depression in Osmaston park !!

It's just that some say it was a bomb crater...old wives tale and all that, Sometimes if these stories are told long and hard enough they become true 🤷‍♂️

On 07/02/2024 at 19:49, Elwood P Dowd said:

And the penalty for spitting on a bus was 10\-

Wasn't "Heavy petting" on that banned list too?  Or was that just Queen St Baths?  🤷‍♂️

... I wonder of the young 'uns even know what "heavy petting" is!  🤣  

54 minutes ago, Bigunder said:

Hello me again, another question. 
How long has the St. Peters Mall with the entrance on St. Peters Street been there?

i am in city centre currently.

Since the early 1970s iirc