Kane wilson wasted at right back?

BatRam

Hes played really well  at rb and cant really knock him but id rather see him further up the pitch as he doesnt have to be as careful with the ball and likes to beat players. Do you guys think so? unfortunately ( or fortunately judging by some of the comments) i didnt get to watch last nights game so i cant comment on that. 

1 minute ago, valakari said:

Agree, but with Nyambe away, we only had 2 choices..( and we saw what happened when Ward played at right back - twice!!)

Unfortunately i think ward has been unlucky ,Elder is starting to come good now hes getting minutes , i imagine it would be the same with ward? Bradley was awful but now hes getting more minutes hes a very good back up ? Id even play smith there again as he was decent at right back  

We have no other choice at the moment. The squad is becoming stretched.

Nyambe is away. Smith is injured. Ward can’t comfortably defend. Nelson is needed at centre back.

Wilson is, like you say, much better further forward where he has the freedom to express himself and his positive intent can lift the team.

When Nyambe returns, we’ll look more balanced.

4 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Unfortunately i think ward has been unlucky ,Elder is starting to come good now hes getting minutes , i imagine it would be the same with ward? Bradley was awful but now hes getting more minutes hes a very good back up ? Id even play smith there again as he was decent at right back  

Ward just can't defend

5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Why isn't he playing Joe Ward, he did sign him afterall 

Because he signed Ward to play wing back in a 352, but we proved it didn't work...so he went back to a back 4...and he tried Ward at full back..and he gave away 2 penalties in successive games and proved he can't defend!

14 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yes but will Wilson get a game on the wing as first choice now we have signed CBT?

It seems like he won’t as we have more wide players who have been employed to cross the ball to the opposition centre half’s 

Any two from NML CBT Barkhauzen Ward Wilson - where the likes of JJ Waghorn Washington were/ are supposed to fit in I don’t know whilst Collins has the one place left over and what a glut we would have if Smith was signed.

22 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yes but will Wilson get a game on the wing as first choice now we have signed CBT?

Id like to see him play behind a striker tbh , id be intrigued to see what he could do there

Defensively, Wilson's making just as many tackles as Nyambe at RB (dribbled past a fraction more. He's also making more interceptions and commiting fewer fouls. The big difference is the number of crosses Nyambe blocks compared with Wilson (he blocks crosse 3 times more often). Given Smith's contribution in his 1 game at RB was lower than what we've seen from Ward there this season (although less liekly to give away penalties), I would be reuctatnt to use him there either.

It's less about Wilson's attacking output being wasted and more about trying to stay as defensively solid as possible. It hasn't helped that we've relied on just Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing on the wings for the past few games with no-one on the bench to freshen it up - a factor mitigated with the Blackett-Taylor signing. It'll hopefully be just 1 more game of Wilson at RB before Nyambe.

Even a badly defending Ward which allows Wilson to play on the wing is better than playing Wilson at RB. We've only got 2 creative players anyway, now one of them is lost to defence, leaving us NML, and as we saw last night, if he's not on it, we struggle to create.

I'd put Ward back in and play Wilson higher up against Cheltenham. Other than NML, he'd walk into my team ahead of anyone in that position.

The potential reward outweighs the risk.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Defensively, Wilson's making just as many tackles as Nyambe at RB (dribbled past a fraction more. He's also making more interceptions and commiting fewer fouls. The big difference is the number of crosses Nyambe blocks compared with Wilson (he blocks crosse 3 times more often). Given Smith's contribution in his 1 game at RB was lower than what we've seen from Ward there this season (although less liekly to give away penalties), I would be reuctatnt to use him there either.

It's less about Wilson's attacking output being wasted and more about trying to stay as defensively solid as possible. It hasn't helped that we've relied on just Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing on the wings for the past few games with no-one on the bench to freshen it up - a factor mitigated with the Blackett-Taylor signing. It'll hopefully be just 1 more game of Wilson at RB before Nyambe.

See below

18 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

IMO, When Nyambe is back, neither Ward nor Wilson will start. We now have NML, Barks and CTB for the 2 wide berths and 2 of the 3 will get the nod over either of the W's for a starting place.

Once Nyambe's back we'll hopefully see Wilson pushed forward and NML moved in behind Collins.  We know he's not a natural No 10 but a lot of our unbeaten run was with him more central.

9 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Even a badly defending Ward which allows Wilson to play on the wing is better than playing Wilson at RB. We've only got 2 creative players anyway, now one of them is lost to defence, leaving us NML, and as we saw last night, if he's not on it, we struggle to create.

I'd put Ward back in and play Wilson higher up against Cheltenham. Other than NML, he'd walk into my team ahead of anyone in that position.

The potential reward outweighs the risk.

One thing I didn't get was when Ward came on, why was NML still on corners??  TBF to the lad, his dead balls are very good, and there keeper was iffy all game.  Why were we leaving them to Nat when he barely cleared their man at the front post?

Just now, ramsbottom said:

See below

Once Nyambe's back we'll hopefully see Wilson pushed forward and NML moved in behind Collins.  We know he's not a natural No 10 but a lot of our unbeaten run was with him more central.

To be honest, I'm expecting a shift to 343/523 sooner or later:

Wildmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin
Wilson   Bird   Hourihane   Elder
Mendez-Laing   Baclkett-Taylor
Collins

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin
Collins

Looks good on paper.  I wonder if 3 at the back will work better with Nyambe being more mobile than Bradley? Something needs to change, cus we can't have too many more repeats of last night.  And when I say a few, I mean none...

Edited by ramsbottom

Just now, ramsbottom said:

Looks good on paper.  I wonder if 3 at the back will work better with Nyambe being more mobile than Bradley?

I think Nyambe is a better RCB than RB as his attacking output is minimal

We'd also have a second 11 (with everyone fit) of:

Vickers
Rooney   Bradley   Forsyth
Ward   Thompson   Fornah   Sibley
Barkhuizen   Washington
Mystery-new-forward

Which leaves John-Jules, Waghorn and Smith in reserve.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

See below

Yes I can see that happening but how much help will any of that front 4 give a midfield 2 - then people will say Hourihane and Bird aren't good enough because they get played through too easily.  

Seems the tactics are just too basic - stick loads of attack minded players on.   If we have wilson or CBT on one side maybe Ward  or even Thompson on the other provides better balance even at the expense of leaving out a "better" player . 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wildmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin
Collins

that looks quite tasty. Surely there would be goals there