Kane wilson wasted at right back?

BatRam

58 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

Yes I can see that happening but how much help will any of that front 4 give a midfield 2 - then people will say Hourihane and Bird aren't good enough because they get played through too easily.  

Seems the tactics are just too basic - stick loads of attack minded players on.   If we have wilson or CBT on one side maybe Ward  or even Thompson on the other provides better balance even at the expense of leaving out a "better" player . 

This is the thing.  At the moment I don't think Warne is too fussed about playing through midfield, they're just there to pick up the scraps and cover for the full backs bombing on.  The back four are doing the distribution for them...

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Ward was only on the pitch a few minutes last night, and still managed to lose the ball to a Reading player in a very dangerous situation.

I think Wilson has defended okay during his short spell at right back, but it does limit his offensive play. 

I thought the time we saw him and Sibs play down the right it looked good, but it was a one off I suppose.

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

One thing I didn't get was when Ward came on, why was NML still on corners??  TBF to the lad, his dead balls are very good, and there keeper was iffy all game.  Why were we leaving them to Nat when he barely cleared their man at the front post?

"One thing I didn't get" is the start of a sentence that could go on for a very, very long time.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To be honest, I'm expecting a shift to 343/523 sooner or later:

Wildmith
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin
Wilson   Bird   Hourihane   Elder
Mendez-Laing   Baclkett-Taylor
Collins

Every good run we’ve had under warne has been with a settled back four. Not sure why he ever wants to deviate from that. 

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

We have no other choice at the moment. The squad is becoming stretched.

Nyambe is away. Smith is injured. Ward can’t comfortably defend. Nelson is needed at centre back.

Wilson is, like you say, much better further forward where he has the freedom to express himself and his positive intent can lift the team.

When Nyambe returns, we’ll look more balanced.

God help us if he gets injured!

21 hours ago, MadAmster said:

IMO, When Nyambe is back, neither Ward nor Wilson will start. We now have NML, Barks and CTB for the 2 wide berths and 2 of the 3 will get the nod over either of the W's for a starting place.

If Warne selects Barkhuizen over Wilson out wide, I'm heading straight over to the Out Out thread!

Obviously you guys are abit more switched on with this sort of stuff than i am , and have a lot more knowledge of players and their history. Is there any stats out there of Kane wilsons most prolific season and what position he was best utilised ? His crossing is decent and hes got brilliant skills. But iv noticed hes not really a goal scorer? 

51 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

Obviously you guys are abit more switched on with this sort of stuff than i am , and have a lot more knowledge of players and their history. Is there any stats out there of Kane wilsons most prolific season and what position he was best utilised ? His crossing is decent and hes got brilliant skills. But iv noticed hes not really a goal scorer? 

He had 3 goals and 14 assists in 45 appearances for Forest Green in league two during the 21/22 season. Not sure if that was as a right back in a 4 or more of a right wing back though. 

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

He had 3 goals and 14 assists in 45 appearances for Forest Green in league two during the 21/22 season. Not sure if that was as a right back in a 4 or more of a right wing back though. 

I think as a full back. At least he was when I saw him a few times.