The 2024 Motorsports Thread

Just read The times who have received the “email” with link to Google drive and pictures to illustrate the story for those who can’t read properly. sounds pretty messy. The article goes on saying the DTS can stop filming for this year as they’ve got enough to fill all episodes for next year series 😂

Is it in the public domain/social media yet? Asking for a friend who does not do social media.

Edited by EtoileSportiveDeDerby

11 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Just read The times who have received the “email” with link to Google drive and pictures to illustrate the story for those who can’t read properly. sounds pretty messy. The article goes on saying the DTS can stop filming for this year as they’ve got enough to fill all episodes for next year series 😂

Is it in the public domain/social media yet? Asking for a friend who does not do social media.

Google drive to survive for the first episode title would be my bet

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Yeah, the image files are already out there on Reddit and the like. Long story short, he appears to trying it on with what I assume to be the female member of staff in question. The stuff I've seen is pretty tame, if a little weird. Certainly enough to get you sacked these days and obviously Geri will be planning to have him neutered now, but then he was playing away with her before dumping his first wife, so perhaps there's some karma there. I think he's in trouble to be honest. It seems the long knives are out and won't be forced back into the block easily.

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The messages are searchable mainly through Reddit channels. I had a quick read yesterday and it all seems pretty tame and more embarrassing for Honry Horner than anything else.

I can see some words being dropped into interviews with him to see if he "explodes" live on air 😂

I've seen the Google drive and it doesn't look good for Horner.

It may seem 'tame' but there are certain instances where he's telling her to delete the messages and 'offering her a way out' in leaving her job. She also asks him to stop on several occasions. Also, it just makes him look like a massive creep and a horny sex pest teenager. He's just weird. 

For me, he has to go. If I was him I would walk before I was pushed. 

One would assume it's none at all. Maybe it's different at RB and a light harassment is all in the job description. 

I used to work in the industry (and still have some contacts at an Oxfordshire team) and knew him from Arden and the early days of RB. He always was a massive tool. Said contacts have suggested this could be the tip of the iceberg and that there is more on the drive than what is doing the rounds. I do hope it's not him bashing one out or 'exploding' as he puts it. 🤢

Well Lando, Leclerc, Sainz, Norris and Hamilton felt they had more to give so that's not too depressing. 

Not hard to imagine a tighter constructors championship with RBR only having one driver. I bet they'll be tantrums if there's consistent podiums for the likes of Ferrari. 

So it's not all doom and gloom. 

I saw a comment that praised Alpine for showing solidarity with French farmers by sending tractors to compete. 

I can't help but think we're going to see something familier today, with the Ferraris pushing to hard to star with Max and chewing the tyres up and ruining their strategy.

I think after max it's the animials coming in two by two, ferraris, mercs, mclarens, who knows how disapointing perez will be, but i presume he'll trundle round 1-2 places behind where he should be.

Questions I'm looking forward to are how does Hulkenberg hang on in the top ten, what can Albon do in the williams, are we going to get some Fernando moments, can the Arbeies fight the Astons and how much are Alpine going to suck vs Sauber.

I also, hope I'm vastly wrong in my somewhat glum expectations about the new F1 season.

But to cheer everyone, the WEC opening round from Lusail in Qatar is underway right now and I've been dipping into.

Sadly I'm expecting exactly what we saw last season, save for the Ferrari and Merc being far more comfortable to drive. Really disappointed in Hamilton's latest qualifying effort and now wondering whether we'll ever see him top the podium again. This whole level the playing field with new tech regs has really not worked out too well, so I'm praying for some drama and to at least see some dicing at the front, not just within the pack behind. Please!!! 😂

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Sadly I'm expecting exactly what we saw last season, save for the Ferrari and Merc being far more comfortable to drive. Really disappointed in Hamilton's latest qualifying effort and now wondering whether we'll ever see him top the podium again. This whole level the playing field with new tech regs has really not worked out too well, so I'm praying for some drama and to at least see some dicing at the front, not just within the pack behind. Please!!! 😂

You will be disappointed.

Spoilers ahead:

Max piddled off into the distance and didn't look back. Perez made the best case to be red bull no2 this weekend as the arbie drivers were kind of meh, and both will be unhappy with the possition swap.

Sainz had the better of Leclerc and had to pass him twice without a team order to help.

RBR-Ferrari-Merc-Mclaren-AM seems to be the team pecking order, perhaps a bit closer over all, but the dreaded "behind max verstappen of course" is still a thing.

Lewis had a very disappointing race, did very little where as Gerogey boy did well fighting the ferraris until the later stages.

Baby stroll got a shunt at the first corner and did ok to climb back up.

Of the rest, Zhou adn Kmag deserve shout outs.

Alpine suck harder than we ever predicted.

The new RBR car looked rapid and stable from the off, but a weird practice session gremlin briefly fooled me into thinking my initial visual impression was wrong. Having watched the car race, to be honest, I don't think anyone has closed the gap at all. Depressingly, the data seems to confirm as much.

I think Merc and particularly the Ferrari, look much easier and more pleasant for their drivers than the last two years and both can probably be driven nearer their limits more safely and more often, but neither are in the same league as Newey's latest iteration and this with Verstappen in cruise control. No sweary man stuff this week as he lead by 9 seconds after only 10 laps. This was the proverbial exercise canter for the Belgian Bullet who never saw another car all race.

Lewis did what I'm becoming accustomed to and went through the motions after another half-hearted qualification. Too much of that (with his new allegiance to Ferrari) and he will be very much driver #2 and this another fallow season. I hope I'm wrong but he seemed to just accept his lot and only benefitted 2 positions via others' misfortunes and a rare well judged undercut form his engineers and strategists. I fear that his days as a hard racer are over and I'd rather see him stop if he's not willing to ride the ragged edge anymore. 

Thank god the Mighty Rams put on a show yesterday, to give me something to cheer, as this was depressing stuff for all bar Verstappen fans. Even some of them are finding Liberty's 'new vision' of F1 rather predictable now. I get that being American, they were always likely to want to make this as much entertainment as sport, but frankly, I'm seeing neither. No new regs until 2026 either... 🥱

I think the main excitment of the season is going to be "Can Yuki ruin the Danny Red Bull return?" - the warm down lap stuff was hilarious but it's clear Yuki has been told he's got to finish ahead of Ricciardo to stay in F1. That and just endless laughing at Alpine.

By contrast, the WEC race was pretty good, with Porsche takeing over the Toyota role in the top class.