The 2024 Motorsports Thread

18 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think it's time for the "draw straws on who is punting max off this week" initiative.

OK, in any meaningful sense, that'd be a ridiculus suggestion but the FIA president would probably be up for it....

Alpine. Nothing to play for, first car Max will encounter this season most frequently and nobody would be surprised at an overly aggressive Ocon. 

The perfect crime

I'm usually a bit skeptical of "next big things" but Acosta is genuinly exciting based on the first two weekends in MotoGP.

It's so good to Marc Marquez back on a bike that's competetive and not just trying to kill him every week, the one today was just a racining incident - I'm not going to put him as a dark horse for the title just yet, but I think he'll be a factor in taking wins away in the fight.

Apparentaly it was a gearbox problem that did in Vinales at the end.

Even if you're not a MotoGP fan, it's worth the 5 minutes if you're this far into the motorsports thread 🙂

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm usually a bit skeptical of "next big things" but Acosta is genuinly exciting based on the first two weekends in MotoGP.

It's so good to Marc Marquez back on a bike that's competetive and not just trying to kill him every week, the one today was just a racining incident - I'm not going to put him as a dark horse for the title just yet, but I think he'll be a factor in taking wins away in the fight.

Apparentaly it was a gearbox problem that did in Vinales at the end.

Even if you're not a MotoGP fan, it's worth the 5 minutes if you're this far into the motorsports thread 🙂

Whenever I watch the start of of these MotoGP races, as they all pile into the first corner, in my head I'm shouting 'banzai'.

No idea why, but clearly my brain thinks it's appropriate!

Really good F1 race too. I actually stayed up as we were late home anyway and I thought Sainz drove beautifully for the win. Of course he was aided by Verstappen's mechanical woes, but he actually looked to be able to match the MV's pace even before the failed brake became evident. It'll doubtless be normal service resumed after this but with no RBR vanishing off up the road, we saw some decent dicing right through the field today.

Mercedes' woes continue it seems. I think the insane power output and straight-line speed the hybrid engine tech they developed during the era of their dominance, probably masked their cars' mediocre aero performance and handling. I did sometimes watch Hamilton putting in insane laps during quali while thinking, 'faaarkk, that car is rapid but it's also trying to kill you', but Lewis was a hard racer and the best of his generation too. Is he still that guy though? That W15 does not look safe at times though and they clearly do not know why the performance is so up and down, but do we really see him prospering at Ferrari? I'm not sure anymore.

A lots of Alonso fan boys blaming Russell for the crash - oblivious to the fact that the stewards have access to all of Alonso’s telemetry data and can see he had braked earlier and was way slower through the corner than he had been during the rest of the race - even Brundle queried why he was so slow after one viewing of the replay - guess Fernando doesn’t want the Merc seat next season after all….

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

A lots of Alonso fan boys blaming Russell for the crash - oblivious to the fact that the stewards have access to all of Alonso’s telemetry data and can see he had braked earlier and was way slower through the corner than he had been during the rest of the race - even Brundle queried why he was so slow after one viewing of the replay - guess Fernando doesn’t want the Merc seat next season after all….

Much as we all love Fernando, he's never been above the occasional ruthless move or the odd dirty trick. The result might steer it towards the penalty was harsher because of the crash rather than the level of dastardly the act was, but stewarding has ever been thus, if Russell hadn't crashed it'd have been 5 seconds. But Russell did crash and I don't see much argument TBH.

Rumour that red bull want Fernando Alonso next season.

Now, that I can get behind as a move. There might be drama and there might be friction, but dealing with Fred on the other side is going to be a whole different kettle of fish to Checo (or Gasly or Albon or Danny flounce out or Carlos Sainz) - I can imagine the combustion of Jos Verstappen already.

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Rumour that red bull want Fernando Alonso next season.

Now, that I can get behind as a move. There might be drama and there might be friction, but dealing with Fred on the other side is going to be a whole different kettle of fish to Checo (or Gasly or Albon or Danny flounce out or Carlos Sainz) - I can imagine the combustion of Jos Verstappen already.

Pigeons, meet cat 😂

32 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Pigeons, meet cat 😂

Was just a rumour on planet F1 so the usual helping of salt with that, but Fernando last shot at a third title Vs max plus dad plus Marko has the makings of a fun story.

But on the other hand, if red bull are serious about having the best possible drivers and Alonso is open, it's a realistic option. I still think they'll hire Carlos though (unless his Sauberaudi deal is already in place)

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Was just a rumour on planet F1 so the usual helping of salt with that, but Fernando last shot at a third title Vs max plus dad plus Marko has the makings of a fun story.

But on the other hand, if red bull are serious about having the best possible drivers and Alonso is open, it's a realistic option. I still think they'll hire Carlos though (unless his Sauberaudi deal is already in place)

But as far as rumours go, it's an absolute doozy!