The 2024 Motorsports Thread

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Hamilton to Ferrari!?!?! Does this mean he's not impressed with the new, improved Mercedes?

Lewis Hamilton could make a shock move to Ferrari for the 2025 season, BBC Sport understands.

Several sources say claims of links between the seven-time champion and Ferrari should be taken seriously, but a deal is not yet confirmed.

Ferrari want Hamilton to join Charles Leclerc for the 2025 season.

The 39-year-old signed a new two-year deal with Mercedes for 2024 and 2025 last summer but it seems he can leave after one season, should he choose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68163799

Sky sports reporting it’s a done deal 

Oh My God Wow GIF

Edited by Gaspode

Got to admit, i thought it was a BS story when I saw it this morning. Went about my day and, well, he's given up on getting 8 titles after all was initial reaction.

Payday and gets to have some sentimental photos of him driving a ferrari but rationally, Charles Leclerc is their guy and they'll Ferrari it up anyway. I am not for a moment suggesting Leclrec is better the Lewis, but Leclerc is in the same elite group (I really really rate him, yes the odd unforced error still when he's trying to overcome Ferrari's Ferrari-ness, but he is seriously good) and it's his team, and of all F1 teams, Ferrari are historically one of the least fair in terms of playing favorites and they've no qualms about screwing over multipul world champions.

Although someone did point out there might be an aspect of: If I win at Ferrari, that's something Seb and Alsono didn't manage and I'll retire having won  the title at 3 teams, so go on, better that you wee dutch gobshite. And it'd probably really really annoy FIllipe Massa.

25 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Got to admit, i thought it was a BS story when I saw it this morning. Went about my day and, well, he's given up on getting 8 titles after all was initial reaction.

Payday and gets to have some sentimental photos of him driving a ferrari but rationally, Charles Leclerc is their guy and they'll Ferrari it up anyway. I am not for a moment suggesting Leclrec is better the Lewis, but Leclerc is in the same elite group (I really really rate him, yes the odd unforced error still when he's trying to overcome Ferrari's Ferrari-ness, but he is seriously good) and it's his team, and of all F1 teams, Ferrari are historically one of the least fair in terms of playing favorites and they've no qualms about screwing over multipul world champions.

Although someone did point out there might be an aspect of: If I win at Ferrari, that's something Seb and Alsono didn't manage and I'll retire having won  the title at 3 teams, so go on, better that you wee dutch gobshite. And it'd probably really really annoy FIllipe Massa.

Yeah Ferrari is a bit of a graveyard for former world champions at this point... I doubt they would prioritise Charles over Lewis, but I do worry about their ability to provide a car or sensible strategy enough to actually compete at the top.

19 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah Ferrari is a bit of a graveyard for former world champions at this point... I doubt they would prioritise Charles over Lewis, but I do worry about their ability to provide a car or sensible strategy enough to actually compete at the top.

"Ferrari is Ferrari" as they say, "Ferrari gonna Ferrari" as F1 fans say.

36 minutes ago, Alph said:

They better have a good offer for dreamy Carlos. 

Perez replacement? 

I wonder how Toto sees this and if the relationships may sour as the season goes on. 

If plan Dan2 doesn't work out Sainz is surely an option for that seat. Yes Max was better at Torro Rosso but Carlos was not bad and upped sticks on his own terms and forged a credible career across renault, Mclaren and Ferrari and would be a capable no2.

The other option might be Sauber as the Audi project comes in. An option less likely but I like is Aston Martin if daddy stroll will finally cut his losses on his crotch fruit.

43 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

So Hammy has Hammer Time, Christian Horner has Horny Time.

Won't be getting any anytime soon, mind! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68205305

Concerning and I just hope it's investigated properly.

I'm going to be honest, it feels sadly unsurprising when these things come out across all kinds of sports and other industries where powerful men seem to act with little accountability.

I'd not be surprised if it turns out Horner is a creep. I'd also not be surprised if it turned out this is also part some internal red bull politics going on as they get used to life after Mateschitz (and unlimited money for two f1 teams isn't a thing anymore).

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Concerning and I just hope it's investigated properly.

I'm going to be honest, it feels sadly unsurprising when these things come out across all kinds of sports and other industries where powerful men seem to act with little accountability.

I'd not be surprised if it turns out Horner is a creep. I'd also not be surprised if it turned out this is also part some internal red bull politics going on as they get used to life after Mateschitz (and unlimited money for two f1 teams isn't a thing anymore).

This what's being said by the Horner camp, that it's a flat out power-play and a pretty snide one at that. We'll see, but at this point, I'm not entirely convinced. I'm am though quite amused at the prospect of Horner sleeping downstairs with only the pooches for company. And to be honest, if it derails RBR, I'll not be losing any sleep, as I'm quite immature like that 😋

1 minute ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That does not say much. What do you know?

Two stories; the Horner camp claim he's being smeared to wrest control of the Red Bull Group back to Salzburg, though I'd always thought that's where it sat anyway. Red Bull, however, are suggesting there may have been some serious impropriety with a female member of staff and are investigating thoroughly. 

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Two stories; the Horner camp claim he's being smeared to wrest control of the Red Bull Group back to Salzburg, though I'd always thought that's where it sat anyway. Red Bull, however, are suggesting there may have been some serious impropriety with a female member of staff and are investigating thoroughly. 

Of course, not neccessarily mutually exclusive things.

Red Bull Racing is it's own company within the group isn't it? I'm no expert on the set up but I gather the old days, Deiter just gave then lots of money and sent them racing and I can see that not flying in the new business structure.

So, sadly, it seems Christian Horner is not a serial shagger (boring!) and the complaint actually relates to him acting in a 'controlling manner' towards a female co-worker and not any sexual impropriety. Meanwhile, we are also told Red Bull themselves are advising him to resign, rather than risk removal, so this does seem like it could potentially be the end of the road for Horner at RBR. In an interesting twist, it appears both Horner and Adrian Newey have clauses in their contracts that if one leaves, the other can. 

So, wild conspiracy theory time: Horner & Newey > Ferrari > Hamilton joins them in 2025

Couldn't happen, or could it? 🤔