The 2024 Motorsports Thread

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm more hopeful that merc have some better pace than the test showed as they always sandbagged in their best years, so a lot of full tank running. Ferrari will probably still be fast on one lap the question is can they manage stints this season and not ferrari the strategy.

Of course with testing, there's also no end of factors in terms what they wanted to test which not have been the set ups to get the best time around that track as well as fuel loads, engine modes etc.

We'll see over next weekend when we get to Q3, i wouldn't bet against Max pole/win but the gaps will be interesting, especially ferrari, mclaren and merc.

I'm kind of hoping that with DRS being enabled earlier, if the second place runner can maintain within a second of Max early on, they might be able to stick to him a little more easily with the tow that it'll give. Merc, Ferrari and Mclaren are certainly where my interest is this season. They were all close last year, Ferrari and Merc look to have made good steps forward, can't tell for sure mind.

After a fairly poor season last year, we need something to look forward to. I don't mind which of the three teams, if one can fight Redbull I'll be delighted. 

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Reminder:

The Bahrain grand Prix in on Saturday 2nd march (and not Sunday).

I'm not sure the reason and I think it's the same in Saudi.

It's because Ramadan starts the Sunday after (during Saudi weekend) so they need to bring that one forward and the rules of F1 dictate that there is a minimum window needed between the race finishing the weekend before and the next practice session starting. So they brought Bahrain forward by a day too.

9 minutes ago, roboto said:

It's because Ramadan starts the Sunday after (during Saudi weekend) so they need to bring that one forward and the rules of F1 dictate that there is a minimum window needed between the race finishing the weekend before and the next practice session starting. So they brought Bahrain forward by a day too.

Thanks.

That makes sense of it. I knew there must've been a reason but wasn't sure what.

So, today should be the first media day of the F1 season and the only remotely interesting bit is still "what Christian did" - I've gotta say I expect a fairly unconvincing whitewashing and everyone told to move along, nothing to see here and we'll never actually get told what happened.

My suspicion is that there probably was a genuine complaint but that got used to fight red bull GmbH politics and not, resolve the actual issue. I have no evidence, just my feelings on that.

But tomorrow brings actual grand Prix weekend practice ahead of qualifying on Friday which will be the first proper look at who has really got a good car and who is really on trouble (Alpine, Haas, Williams and Kick Steak team can we please be Audi now)

Felt inevitable TBH.

Unfortunately, I feel like the whole way it played out in the public sphere has made it impossible to actually resolve whatever issue prompted the complaint.

Still, my guess is we'll never know the whole story.

Moving on, there's still plenty to dislike about red bull racing, so, let the season commence.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

If there’s one thing the horrible Red Bull management weren’t going to do, it was to cause problems for the horrible Red Bull team by getting shot of horrible Horner….

Keep an eye on folks leaving that team, sooner or later actual word will go round.

My take is Red Bull new owers wanted Horner put in his place that he reports to them/the Racing team becomes more under corporate control vs Horner (and team) wanting keep the "No you just write the cheques and leave us alone to do the racing" arrangments, someone in the "put horner in his place" camp found this HR complaint and decided that would be a good tool and leaked it to the papers. I am still not convinced any of this process had anything to do with the merits of the actual complaint.

All just felt like Marko being a t*** to me. It'd have been hilarious if Horner had turned out to be some serial shagger, but he's the little miss goody two-shoes of the pitlane, the kid at school who constantly grassed everyone up to the teachers, isn't he? 

Anyway, someone's getting fired and then it's business as usual, it would seem.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Everything is ******** ****. Verstappen completes first lap in FP1 and Lambiase gets his first dose of Verstappen 'charm' of the new season 😂

EDIT: Car is literally jumping, says the grumpy Belgian. Porpoising? That'd be ironic.

He does love a good tantrum that one doesn't he.

Never read too much in free practice, especially FP1.

Really looking forward to qualifying tomorrow but it'll be on whilst I'm driving (home from site).

16 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He does love a good tantrum that one doesn't he.

Never read too much in free practice, especially FP1.

Really looking forward to qualifying tomorrow but it'll be on whilst I'm driving (home from site).

Merc looks rapid on the soft compound. So many variables as you say, that it's hard to be dogmatic, but to my eye, it looks a very good car. Very stable and watching Hammy, there's none of the chopping we saw as both drivers struggled to tame last year's car. Hammy more than George, looks positively serene by comparison. I'm almost hopeful! 😋

*Very cold night though apparently, which may explain some of the swing

Edited by Comrade 86

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Whilst I suspect red bull haven't shown their hand yet ahead of the race, the FP sessions were mildly encouraging.

What's also interesting is the evidence about "what Chrstian did" has apparently been leaked to a few inividuals in F1....suggesting that this story is very much not done with.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Very very optimistic about that new Merc. It looks competitive. 

It looks super-drivable. I guess it's weird to saying that but even when Merc had a hybrid nobody could get near, they still produced a couple of WDC winning cars that were basically trying to kill their drivers. The last two cars have been essentially undriveable on the edge, but this thing looks pretty sweet at the lower ground clearance. They have some clever new-fangle stuff that even allows them to alter the geometry of the front axle too which is a very Mercedes approach, so it appears to be very competitive. The only caveats as yet are that it was an unusually cold evening and it was only running 3rd or 4th best on the medium compound tyres. Have to be at least mildly optimistic of some proper racing this year though, right! 🙏

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Whilst I suspect red bull haven't shown their hand yet ahead of the race, the FP sessions were mildly encouraging.

What's also interesting is the evidence about "what Chrstian did" has apparently been leaked to a few inividuals in F1....suggesting that this story is very much not done with.

Yeah, it seemed to fall off a cliff, but worth noting that on the medium compound it was fastest I believe. One thing I did notice though was how much Verstappen's head was moving. Not the crazy levels we saw initially with the new regs, but significant all the same. Where that appeared from, who knows, as it wasn't evident in testing. That gives me pause for thought as to their 'demise' as they've definitely changed something on the car. I'd expect them to be a different kettle of fish in qualy and the fact that Max only bitched once makes me think they've a bit up their sleeve and he was told to STFU after his first lap outburst, but they might not have anything like the advantage I first feared.

Setting aside Hammertime, hilarious to see more Hornytime stuff emerging and yes, that's a story that has gathered legs 😂