The 2024 Motorsports Thread

43 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Why so sad @RadioactiveWaste?

Because I miss GOATifi!

That and I'm kinda sad that Logan just isn't going to make it, seems a good guy, driver that Williams brought through the junior series, an American driver to show the world...that Americans are only good at turning slightly left in a stone age version of a race car....

35 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Because I miss GOATifi!

That and I'm kinda sad that Logan just isn't going to make it, seems a good guy, driver that Williams brought through the junior series, an American driver to show the world...that Americans are only good at turning slightly left in a stone age version of a race car....

Suspect it was as much a commercial decision as one based on talent, what with Liberty and the growing fanbase in the US. He did briefly flatter to deceive, but it's so hard for young drivers whose daddies don't own teams to crack F1. You literally have to be a driving god to stand any chance. 

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Suspect it was as much a commercial decision as one based on talent, what with Liberty and the growing fanbase in the US. He did briefly flatter to deceive, but it's so hard for young drivers whose daddies don't own teams to crack F1. You literally have to be a driving god to stand any chance. 

Yeah, it's brutal.

I mean, take Yuki tsnuoda, if it weren't for the strong arming of Honda he'd have been binned after 1 season (2 tops) despite the fact he's quick but now he's had the time he's showing there's a decent driver there.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yeah, it's brutal.

I mean, take Yuki tsnuoda, if it weren't for the strong arming of Honda he'd have been binned after 1 season (2 tops) despite the fact he's quick but now he's had the time he's showing there's a decent driver there.

I always rated Yuki tbh. Even at the beginning, as when he wasn't going off-piste he was blindingly quick at times. I think also they've had to work hard to get him to take it seriously, as by all accounts, he's a bit of a lad! They even got him a personal fitness trainer with predictably hilarious results. He's got bags of talent if he can be 100% focussed, but that's a big if.

As for Logan, well he's still one of a select group of current drivers who secured an F1 seat and they can't take that away from him. I do feel for him a bit, despite the mickey-taking, as he does seem a sound lad and it must be incredibly stressful for young lads when things aren't going well. I'm sure he'll find success in time, though perhaps in a somewhat less rarefied atmosphere than F1.

Driving in F1 at all makes you a pretty elite racing driver. to get the superlicense you've got to have been consistently competitive in junior series over several years, and it's not like F2 is full of jokers.

WEC and Indicar have plenty of drivers who didn't get a fair shot at F1 but have shown they are top drivers in those series.

The thing with Logan is you can see there is perhaps a driver in there. The perception I think is also distorted by the Stroll ownership of Aston, lance isn't a bad driver, but he's also nothing special in F1 terms, but his dad bought a tram just for him. Lance in other circumstances might have got to F1, but after hanging round a few seasons been papped put for next prospect+sponsor deal.

48 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Driving in F1 at all makes you a pretty elite racing driver. to get the superlicense you've got to have been consistently competitive in junior series over several years, and it's not like F2 is full of jokers.

WEC and Indicar have plenty of drivers who didn't get a fair shot at F1 but have shown they are top drivers in those series.

The thing with Logan is you can see there is perhaps a driver in there. The perception I think is also distorted by the Stroll ownership of Aston, lance isn't a bad driver, but he's also nothing special in F1 terms, but his dad bought a tram just for him. Lance in other circumstances might have got to F1, but after hanging round a few seasons been papped put for next prospect+sponsor deal.

Lance has actually ended up being better than I thought he would be, but as you've alluded to yourself, it's rather a unique set of circumstances that have afforded him the opportunity. I suppose the elite nature of F1 is in part, at least, what makes it so fascinating. The best of the best, going head-to-head in some of the most advanced cars ever built. It's a heady mix. 

On a different note, had watch of the MotoGP races and kept an eye on Acosta and boy, that lad is rapid. His style reminds me of Rossi, as he has that knack of arriving at a corner with me thinking, no feckin way he's slowing down quick enough and just waiting for the off, but somehow he does. Great dice with Marquez. Thanks for the heads up anyway. Might pay it more attention moving forwards.

14 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You'll have to click to go to youtube, it's a recap of Kimi winning Japan in 2005.

It was a great race and a timely reminder of how blindingly quick Kimi was, but boy was the commentary annoying 😂

As it stands, I think that Suzuka 2005 was one of the very best  races I've seen, it simply had everything. I had a hunt around for some full race highlights and the best I could find was the two part video below, if anyone fancies it. Might have a look myself tonight as it was an absolute belter and if you've not seen it before, please do! 

Part 1: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4x5zbs

Part 2: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4x1e8e

As for Suzuke 2024, well yours truly was awake at stupid o'clock this morning so I watched Suzuka quali sessions and despite the RBR 1-2, it was actually pretty interesting. Yuki again made it to the final session in front of his adoring fans, which was nice to see and will of course ensure that local interest is piqued. He's absolutely obliterating Danny Ric who is gone for all money to my eyes. Zero chance of an RBR seat all on recent form IMO and I doubt that the nice but dim Aussie will be drinking Bolly and his foot sweat again in F1, which I don't mind as it's weird and more than a tad icky.

Lando threw in a monster lap that briefly looked like it would secure him a front row spot, but he was pipped by an inspired Checo who was milliseconds behind the grumpy Belgian. Piastri briefly threatened to emulate Lando before faltering, but irrespective, I think he's hugely talented and has the skills and mindset to be a contender in years to come. Lando perhaps even more so though, but he'll need Mclaren to take another steep forward given his extended contract.

Mercedes yet again flattered to deceive and with track temperatures forecast to rise steeply prior to race time, they once again look like joining the ranks ofr the also-rans. The car looked very driveable, especially compared to recent seasons, but sadly, not very fast. Interestingly, despite looking disinterested recently, Hammy was comfortably quicker than Russell throughout quali, for all that's worth, but he's not looked racey at all when it matters since his announcement and I'd imagine that relations are pretty strained right now in the Merc garage.

A rejuvenated Carlos Sainz comfortably outpointed Leclerc again, but happy as I am to see the likeable Spaniard prosper, one has to ask where has this pace been up to now? Doing it once you know your seat is gone asks more questions than it answers for me. Surely RBR must fancy him a bit, but would Max and more importantly, would his overbearing dad who seems to be running the team as much as Horny boy these days.

The Astons were next best  but comfortably off the pace, even with Alonso driving the wheels off his car. They'll be hoping their race pace is significantly better. 

The race is set to start an hour earlier than quali for some reason but aginst my better judgement, I'm probably going to be making coffee at 5.30am tomorrow!

Agree with just about all of that.

I think you're being a bit hard on Sainz, he was the better ferrari driver for big chunks of last season and through his time there has rarely been badly off Leclerc for a long period, and I do rate Charles very highly. I think the ferrari question is almost more what's up with Leclerc who's not had a great start to the season.

I think Danny has driven his way out of the red bull drive already, he was closer to Yuki today but given the red bull managment have already decided Yuki aint it, and with the driver market having some interesting options right now.