The 2024 Motorsports Thread

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

New suggestion to improve F1:

Drivers named max at pitstops must get out of the car and be spun round 12 times before getting back in the car.

That should make up for some of the gap.

Mercedes 1.7 seconds off the RBR...

Mad Kicking And Screaming GIF by MOODMAN

54 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Not convinced at all. Russell was sat in the pits for an hour and a half while everyone else was banging in the laps. What was that about? Hard to believe they planned to make so little use of the day IMO.

To my mind its worrying that they've effectively conceded the first practice. Other cars will be will now be looking looking to optimise, whereas Merc will surely need to be putting in the type of runs completed by RBR today.

Worse still, RBR seem to have nailed the near zero sidepod concept that merc have just given up on. I guess we'll know soon enough, but to my eye, it's not a great start to testing for the Silver Arrows, though I'd be delighted to be wrong.

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Not convinced at all. Russell was sat in the pits for an hour and a half while everyone else was banging in the laps. What was that about? Hard to believe they planned to make so little use of the day IMO.

To my mind its worrying that they've effectively conceded the first practice. Other cars will be will now be looking looking to optimise, whereas Merc will surely need to be putting in the type of runs completed by RBR today.

Worse still, RBR seem to have nailed the near zero sidepod concept that merc have just given up on. I guess we'll know soon enough, but to my eye, it's not a great start to testing for the Silver Arrows, though I'd be delighted to be wrong.

Reportedly they had a hybrid system issue this morning that they were resolving, would agree that they did less laps than they planned.

Russell's long run stint on the C1 tire is actually quite impressive, he was consistently putting out 1.35s/1.36s. Max was averaging 1.37s in last year's Bahrain GP so seems a very competitive time (factoring in the impact of traffic etc slowing down Max in race conditions). 

Could be wrong, but seems to be encouraging at least. I reckon Merc will put out the glory laps on Friday and have Hamilton testing distance tomorrow as well

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Russell's long run stint on the C1 tire is actually quite impressive, he was consistently putting out 1.35s/1.36s. Max was averaging 1.37s in last year's Bahrain GP so seems a very competitive time (factoring in the impact of traffic etc slowing down Max in race conditions). 

But is Max's best time not already quicker than lasts year's FP1 quickest lap or have I missed something? I hope you're right about Mercedes obviously, but it's the third year running Merc have arrived at testing with too many excuses for my liking. RBR just rock up and lay it down. The difference is quite stark.

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

But is Max's best time not already quicker than lasts year's FP1 quickest lap or have I missed something? I hope you're right about Mercedes obviously, but it's the third year running Merc have arrived at testing with too many excuses for my liking. RBR just rock up and lay it down. The difference is quite stark.

There were faster laps in testing last year (later days, faster than day 1 like you said), and in qualifying trim it's a couple seconds of last year, factoring in all cars will be quicker, I think it's too early to say. RBR will be quick undoubtedly, but their laps on the soft tire with potentially different fuel loads and engine modes than Mercs make it difficult to draw conclusions. I'm potentially deluding myself with pre-season optimism!

Just now, Andicis said:

There were faster laps in testing last year (later days, faster than day 1 like you said), and in qualifying trim it's a couple seconds of last year, factoring in all cars will be quicker, I think it's too early to say. RBR will be quick undoubtedly, but their laps on the soft tire with potentially different fuel loads and engine modes than Mercs make it difficult to draw conclusions. I'm potentially deluding myself with pre-season optimism!

Keep trying mate as I could really use something to cheer me up lol. Not sure I can stand another 20 race wins for RBR while every other team flounders in their dust 🤣

One thing I did read was that the racing seat is a full 10 CM closer to the rear wheels this season and this ought to suit Hammy's style a bit more. Ironic that the car has probably been designed a tad more in his favour than George's and he's now off up the road.

Anyway, no point in stressing too much just yet I guess and there's always a chance we can amuse ourselves with the aftermath of Horner's sacking. Not a peep from Red Bull on that as yet, which to my mind means they're likely getting their legal ducks in a row.

We won't really know until qualifying for the first race.

There are also going to be parts and set ups run that won't be good for this track but the teams want data on.

It's still as depressing as the early 2000s..............lthough at least back then testing was mostly ignored and I was younger and had a life.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I still dont have a wife. I do have a persistent knee injury and compulsive aversion to household spending.

I've tried but get told I've got to buck up my ideas first #stalemate

Apologies mate, I think I've imagined a convo we clearly didn't have! Top tip; unless you really require a radical overhaul, don't bother. The right one will be happy with you as you are, not that marriage is compulsory these days anyway. I've been to about half a dozen 'we're not getting married' do's in the last few years and they mostly seem to be happier than my married pals anyway 😂

To be honest it's not THAT bad if the fight for second best is competitive between 3 teams. Like last season we ignored Max after lap 2. 

If Perez flies around in second place and then it ends up a Mercedes only battle for third.... might be best to watch Last Of The Summer Wine on Sundays. It becomes the equivalent to the "Who will get that last Champions League spot!?!?!"

I'm not convinced red bull are quite that far ahead, I do think out the box (in Max's hands anyway) red bull will be clear of the field but i'm clutching my hopium vape that "it's only testing" and there's a bit more to come from some of the teams.

I'm kinda worried it'll be a season like last year again, but as a motor racing fan, I do enjoy the racing all down the field and as an F1 fan of course I love all the behind the scenes stuff that goes into the edefice.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm not convinced red bull are quite that far ahead, I do think out the box (in Max's hands anyway) red bull will be clear of the field but i'm clutching my hopium vape that "it's only testing" and there's a bit more to come from some of the teams.

I'm kinda worried it'll be a season like last year again, but as a motor racing fan, I do enjoy the racing all down the field and as an F1 fan of course I love all the behind the scenes stuff that goes into the edefice.

I'm certainly hoping that Merc and Ferrari are a little bit closer than the sims. Fingers crossed next weekend we'll get a pleasant surprise and it'll be a good battle. Impossible to tell what it real and what is made up at this stage though. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I'm certainly hoping that Merc and Ferrari are a little bit closer than the sims. Fingers crossed next weekend we'll get a pleasant surprise and it'll be a good battle. Impossible to tell what it real and what is made up at this stage though. 

I'm more hopeful that merc have some better pace than the test showed as they always sandbagged in their best years, so a lot of full tank running. Ferrari will probably still be fast on one lap the question is can they manage stints this season and not ferrari the strategy.

Of course with testing, there's also no end of factors in terms what they wanted to test which not have been the set ups to get the best time around that track as well as fuel loads, engine modes etc.

We'll see over next weekend when we get to Q3, i wouldn't bet against Max pole/win but the gaps will be interesting, especially ferrari, mclaren and merc.