The 2024 Motorsports Thread

Well, I did get up early and I'm not really sure why I bothered. In race trim, the RBR car is untouchable and by that I mean either the drivers, or the engineers responsible for setting the cars up need to really make a mess of it for anyone else to have a chance. I thought Irritating to hear him making a litany of excuses for Checo being so close in quali. Why not just give your fellow driver some credit, you bolshy, Belgian bar steward.

Leclerc drove beautifully, but was undone by being left out a couple of laps too long on tyres that were shot to pieces. Sainz, given a more balanced race strategy, again drove really well. Lando once again drove the wheels of his Maclaren and Hammy is clearly on the beach already, actually suggesting to his engineers that he let Russell past. Can you imagine the Hamilton of old doing such a thing? Nah, me neither. Toto's face throughout the race was a study of Teutonic irritation and it's a shame given their long and extremely successful collaboration, that it will end in a such a shabby manner. Hamilton has earned the thick end of a 1/4 of a billion from his Mercedes contracts and I can't help but feel that his timing lacked class and has undermined both his own season and that of his employers. Mercedes now have a car that is beautifully balanced, but somewhat lacking in straight-line pace, but if they can rinse some more oomph from the powertrain (something they've been historically very good at), he might find he's made the wrong call anyway. One senses that they moved heaven and earth to kill the porpoising issue, possibly focussing less on the engine in doing so, but they are moving in the right direction at last, if only slowly!

Little else to the race I thought, though it was lovely to see Yuki make the top 10 in front of his home crowd. A visit Japan, would be the only other thought. The contrasting, crazy Tokyo skylines to the incredible beauty of the more rural areas has plenty of appeal, though I suspect it'd cost a fair whack. 

19 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Well, I did get up early and I'm not really sure why I bothered. In race trim, the RBR car is untouchable and by that I mean either the drivers, or the engineers responsible for setting the cars up need to really make a mess of it for anyone else to have a chance. I thought it irritating to hear Max making a litany of excuses for Checo being so close in quali. Why not just give your fellow driver some credit, you bolshy, Belgian bar steward.

Leclerc drove beautifully, but was undone by being left out a couple of laps too long on tyres that were shot to pieces. Sainz, given a more balanced race strategy, again drove really well. Lando once again drove the wheels of his Maclaren and Hammy is clearly on the beach already, actually suggesting to his engineers that he let Russell past. Can you imagine the Hamilton of old doing such a thing? Nah, me neither. Toto's face throughout the race was a study of Teutonic irritation and it's a shame given their long and extremely successful collaboration, that it will end in a such a shabby manner. Hamilton has earned the thick end of a 1/4 of a billion from his Mercedes contracts and I can't help but feel that his timing lacked class and has undermined both his own season and that of his employers. Mercedes now have a car that is beautifully balanced, but somewhat lacking in straight-line pace, but if they can rinse some more oomph from the powertrain (something they've been historically very good at), he might find he's made the wrong call anyway. One senses that they moved heaven and earth to kill the porpoising issue, possibly focussing less on the engine in doing so, but they are moving in the right direction at last, if only slowly!

Little else to the race I thought, though it was lovely to see Yuki make the top 10 in front of his home crowd. A visit Japan, would be the only other thought. The contrasting, crazy Tokyo skylines to the incredible beauty of the more rural areas has plenty of appeal, though I suspect it'd cost a fair whack. 

Nonsensical content corrected in bold 

7 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

I'm not even entirely sure what verstappen does can even be considered racing. He just drives fast.

The essence of motorsport is establishing who or what drives fast. The "racing" element is either practical inconvenience or entertainment.

On 08/04/2024 at 21:16, RadioactiveWaste said:

Some nice charts in this.

I've not looked particularly deeply, but I like the last one as a visual comparison of how consistent the drivers were relatively.

On 09/04/2024 at 06:05, Comrade 86 said:

john travolta nba GIF

On 09/04/2024 at 14:34, Alph said:

The gypsies must have had it

giphy.gif

So, Alonso is staying at AM for 2 more years, i guess the grapevine has told him he's not getting the red bull or merc drive.

One less potential landing spot for Carlos, but still think red bull ultimatly want to move on from Perez so he might have a chance at that and we have to see if merc have the courage of their convictions about young Kimi Antonelli.

NGL, I wanted the Max v Fernando firework display and one last title charge from the master. I don't think that'll happen at AM.

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Excellent stuff. Do they provide this type of analysis for every race? It's actually way better than the F1.com equivalent.

I think so, but can't remember off the top of my head. Planet F1 are a decent website, although a bit prone to the "10 articles on the same story phrased slightly different" and "exciting rumour that someone made up but here's a story about it" content volumiser stuff.

Thanks to the wisdom of the F1 powers, this weekend is a sprint race weekend.

So, 4am saturday morning for the pretendy race, the quaifying atr 8am and race at 8am on sunday.

I'd love to be bigging up this one as I always thought the track was OK, but the usual "30 seconds behind Max" will probably apply.

Friday, 19 April

First practice

04:30-05:30

Sprint qualifying

08:30-09:14

Saturday, 20 April

Sprint race

04:00-05:00

Qualifying

08:00-09:00

Sunday, 21 April

Race

08:00

Hugely entertaing sprint qualy in the rain, but I'm getting really sick of the jobsworth stewards interferring with every race:

1. if the drivers are struggling to keep their cars on the track, what's the point of enforcing track limits? - they're clearly not gaining an advantage by going wide on a corner...

2. If you ARE going to enforce track limits, don't then decide when to and when not to on the fly.....

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Hugely entertaing sprint qualy in the rain, but I'm getting really sick of the jobsworth stewards interferring with every race:

1. if the drivers are struggling to keep their cars on the track, what's the point of enforcing track limits? - they're clearly not gaining an advantage by going wide on a corner...

2. If you ARE going to enforce track limits, don't then decide when to and when not to on the fly.....

It's point 2 that irks me particularly.