The 2024 Motorsports Thread

GP less exciting that the sprint was, Max won esily but some stuff happened behind him.

Lando got P2 with a good drive and some help from the safeth car, Perez was P3 after a pit stop under the safety car put him behind Norris and Leclerc. P4 Leclerc, P5 Sainz, P6 George, P7 Alonso, P8 Piastri, P9 Lewis "working his notice" Hamilton, P10 Hulkenberg

Most excitment was fighty Fernando at the start and at the end for P7.

1st safety car was Bottas' engine giving up, 2nd was after the restart where K-mag punted Tsunoda and Stroll rammed into the back of Ricciardo. Bad day from the cashgrab arbies tem. Typically for 2024 Danny ric, he was looking OK and got took out, but it was good to see him back to some sort of form, although to head off the DR3 stans, he would've had to pit again having run medium medium and not pitted under the safety cars, Yuki was pretty off it all weekend though.

Also typical of 2024, Hamilton spent the whole time whinging on the radio.

Zhou was enjoyed by the crowd but wasn't particually quick.

A point for Haas.

Alpine's Gasly tried to set off without one of his wheels on properly and fired the tyre into his mechanic (who is OK) - but it's a bungle from them in a pretty hilariously bad season.

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

GP less exciting that the sprint was, Max won esily but some stuff happened behind him.

Lando got P2 with a good drive and some help from the safeth car, Perez was P3 after a pit stop under the safety car put him behind Norris and Leclerc. P4 Leclerc, P5 Sainz, P6 George, P7 Alonso, P8 Piastri, P9 Lewis "working his notice" Hamilton, P10 Hulkenberg

Most excitment was fighty Fernando at the start and at the end for P7.

1st safety car was Bottas' engine giving up, 2nd was after the restart where K-mag punted Tsunoda and Stroll rammed into the back of Ricciardo. Bad day from the cashgrab arbies tem. Typically for 2024 Danny ric, he was looking OK and got took out, but it was good to see him back to some sort of form, although to head off the DR3 stans, he would've had to pit again having run medium medium and not pitted under the safety cars, Yuki was pretty off it all weekend though.

Also typical of 2024, Hamilton spent the whole time whinging on the radio.

Zhou was enjoyed by the crowd but wasn't particually quick.

A point for Haas.

Alpine's Gasly tried to set off without one of his wheels on properly and fired the tyre into his mechanic (who is OK) - but it's a bungle from them in a pretty hilariously bad season.

Is it unfair to expect Perez to actually do something that might just slightly be considered trying to come 1st? 

It seemed to me right from the off it was operation defend and I very much enjoyed watching Alonso get by. Perez launch seemed an entirely defensive one? 

Did feel sorry for the baby red bulls. Stroll was on his phone while everyone else was focused so ended up airlifting Ric and Tsunoda's admittedly poor weekend was topped off by Haassassination.

The penalty on Sergeant was too harsh. 

Yeah, Sergeant was unfortunate and could've been handled by an instruction from race control/reprimand. I don't think he was trying to violate the safety car rules per se.

Perez has clearly had the message "if you want to carry on you must never ever upset Max, or Jos, or Marko ever again and never, ever, try to race Max, or we will destroy you." He actually tried to fight his corner for about 5 races last season and has ended up utterly crushed, the sad part being red bull will most likely bin him regardless after this season, so he might as well try to add a couple more grand prix wins to his career. I think he'll be racing sports cars soon (as in next season), too many up and coming drivers needing seats.

NGL, I didn't even bother watching the main race. Watching Verstappen finish a quarter of a minute ahead of the field in a sprint race, despite having battery issues for several laps, was the final straw for me. Perez has dropped the lot, Ferrari are bipolar, Mercedes completely schizophrenic and laughing at Danny Ric is just mean, so I've even lost interest in that now. having been my hero, Lewis is becoming a whiny git, though I can understand his frustration at Mercedes' complete inability to furnish him with a remotely competitive car. I might pay a bit more interest when Newey moves to Ferrari and there's some competition for the RBR machine.

On the flipside though, MotoGP! Circuito de Jerez up next at the eminently sensible start time of Sunday @13.00 followed by a spot of lunch at The Fishes. Lovely jubbly! Good shouts from both @Gaspode and @RadioactiveWaste on that score for anyone whose not already watching. Round two of the 2024 MotoGP World Championship will take place in Portugal this weekend, and it will be broadcast on free-to-air TV in the UK. ITV will broadcast the MotoGP Sprint on ITV3 on Saturday, before all three Sunday races - Moto3, Moto2, and MotoGP - go out live on ITV4.

The Americas full race replay from last weekend available here:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8wtaes

Edited by Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Lots of rumours that Adrian Newey is going to leave Red Bull - and that he may be heading for Ferrari!

That would be delightful.

Guess the whole toxicity and power struggle nonsense he can live without at this stage of his career. That and I've no doubt Ferrari are going to pony up many many many lira for his services.

Red bull going through a difficult cycle wouldn't be the worst thing.

MotoGP at Jerez this weekend as well.

How good it is it to have Marc Marquez back to his old self?

Sprint was crazy, but the main race was good.

the formula e monaco race merits a look at the highlights.

BTCC was it's usual self, the reverse grid race at the end being particually fun.

There was british GT at silverstone as well, soaking wet and not really followed it as there's only so many hours in the day.

49 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Another brilliant MotoGP weekend - sprint was mad due to wet patches on the track but the main race produced yet another stonking battle for the win…

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

How good it is it to have Marc Marquez back to his old self?

Sprint was crazy, but the main race was good.

Feels like a vintage crop to me. Like the Rossi - Marquez era back in the day, only with more players. Great shouts anyways chaps. Properly rekindled my love of the sport, so thanks for that🙏

17 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Feels like a vintage crop to me. Like the Rossi - Marquez era back in the day, only with more players. Great shouts anyways chaps. Properly rekindled my love of the sport, so thanks for that🙏

Long may it continue - I just have a dread of what Liberty might do to it given how F1 is going….

Add to that 12 months gardening leave before taking up a role with a rival F1 team and he's not seemed to be a fan of the proposed 26 regulations, he could be thinking of semi retiring and just doing projects that take his fancy (like the racing boats again).

Or I could be wrong and we see him rocking up to the red bull factory in a spanking new Ferrari 296 with a prancing horse bobble hat every day until he leaves.

Miami Car Park GP Weekend is here.

Whilst things are not especially exciting in F1 at the front, and Miami is a sucky track, there's always stories and things going on.

Session times:

Miami Grand Prix coverage (all times BST)

Friday, 3 May

First practice - 17:30-18:30 (BBC Sport website)

Sprint qualifying - 21:30-22:14 (BBC 5 Sports Extra and BBC Sounds)

Saturday, 4 May

Sprint - 17:00-18:00 (BBC Sport website)

Qualifying - 21:00-22:00 (BBC 5 Sports Extra and BBC Sounds)

Sunday, 5 May

Race - 21:00 (BBC Radio 5 Live and BBC Sounds)