Joey Barton being Joey Barton

Gaspode

Not sure why the Police and courts are being criticised here.

We have laws in place, one of which is malicious communications.

A victim has made a complaint and the CPS feel they have sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Are we expecting the Police and CPS to wave the victim away, sorry, we have better things to do with our time?

They are there to protect and serve be it petty theft to serial murderer.

Joey Barton is also a public figure, his words can rally hundreds if not thousands amplifying the abuse his victim will have received.

I have zero sympathy for the guy, we’re not throwing him behind bars, however it’s costing him thousands for being a helmet online. Hopefully it’s a deterrent for others that think they can use social media to start hate campaigns against individuals.

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s time the police and courts got interested in rational logic again 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's the CPS though. They would have made the final decision if bringing the case was in the public interest etc 

In the public interest and rational logic don’t always align though as I found out on my recent jury duty.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Give over , anyone with an ounce of sense knows he s not in any practical way / real life comparing her to Fred and rose west , it was a clumsy joke saying she was killing the punditry in the sense of a bad singer murders a song , have we really reached the stage where this kind of pathetic type of stuff is taken to the point of arresting people ? Just because somebody says they feel something doesn’t make it justified to feel that way , really it’s just bullying people into not giving a negative opinion , if the metric of how somebody says someone else makes them feel unsafe ect then there’s going to be nobody left outside of prison😂

No I won't "give over" thanks, because it's my opinion that he could have given a negative opinion without making the crass comparison. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

4 hours ago, Guest said:

Being a knob is not a crime though is it?

Are we going to leave the police in charge of deciding who is and who isn't a knob, and let them charge people on the back of their decision?

Seems to be another power grab that we should all be very worried about. We are supposed to be a democracy but are becoming more and more like North Korea by the day, whilst people idly sit by and let it happen.

Very dangerous territory. 

You'd think they have more important things to be dealing with...

I'd give a 'like' if I could.

58 minutes ago, Day said:

A victim has made a complaint and the CPS feel they have sufficient evidence to prosecute.

Are we expecting the Police and CPS to wave the victim away, sorry, we have better things to do with our time?

Joey Barton is also a public figure, his words can rally hundreds if not thousands amplifying the abuse his victim will have received.

I have zero sympathy for the guy, we’re not throwing him behind bars, however it’s costing him thousands for being a helmet online. Hopefully it’s a deterrent for others that think they can use social media to start hate campaigns against individuals.

Why not? That's pretty much the respone they give if your house is burgled or your car vandalised.

If you want their undivided attention you need to be mis-gendered.

56 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Why not? That's pretty much the respone they give if your house is burgled or your car vandalised.

I'd say driving 10mph over the limit on a dual carriageway near a McDonalds is how you really sucker them in. 

I've needed them 4 times in 38 years and each time I'd have been better off calling Sting and his mates

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It's the CPS though. They would have made the final decision if bringing the case was in the public interest etc 

Ok , include the cps in the list of loons

2 hours ago, Day said:

Or say what they think 

6 minutes ago, Alph said:

I'd say driving 10mph over the limit on a dual carriageway near a McDonalds is how you really sucker them in. 

I've needed them 4 times in 38 years and each time I'd have been better off calling Sting and his mates

15mph in the drive through is a bit excessive though 😊

1 hour ago, McArthur Park said:

No I won't "give over" thanks, because it's my opinion that he could have given a negative opinion without making the crass comparison. So we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You’ve made me feel unsafe , expect a knock on the door from the rossers , It really is that simple for people to bully others now whilst pretending to be a victim 

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

Yep ,, they didn’t ring her up with a crime number whilst not bothering to investigate ,Leeds certainly wasn’t keeping them too busy it seems , nice easy safe nicking and lots of points in the bag to move up the virtue league table 😂

Worth listening to Lucy Ward talk about the abuse that women get in men's football. She is an excellent pundit on Football Weekly, offers a great insight into young male players and some of the issue they go through.

When this Barton rubbish first came out, she spoke amazingly on it. I'm sure many of the attitutes on here would change if you listened.

I guess you all know what it's like to to reveive a barrage of death and sexual violence threats online after a famous ex-footballer abuses you for daring to pass comment on a men's game.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Worth listening to Lucy Ward talk about the abuse that women get in men's football. She is an excellent pundit on Football Weekly, offers a great insight into young male players and some of the issue they go through.

When this Barton rubbish first came out, she spoke amazingly on it. I'm sure many of the attitutes on here would change if you listened.

I guess you all know what it's like to to reveive a barrage of death and sexual violence threats online after a famous ex-footballer abuses you for daring to pass comment on a men's game.

See there you go again ,,, abuses you ,,,, funny I don’t remember you coming on in support of jk Rowling , if you show me the death and sexual violence threats Barton sent then I’m with you , don’t see a lot of police action in going after the people that actually send those,

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Or say what they think 

You do realise that would be the death of all social media platforms, including forums such as this if we allow a free for all?

Digital laws have been slow to catch up with the evolution of the internet. These laws in place are a good thing and we should be happy they are being enforced, otherwise the internet would be a hugely toxic place overrun by abusive trolls.

It’s honestly baffling that anyone would be upset by the Police prosecuting.

24 minutes ago, Day said:

You do realise that would be the death of all social media platforms, including forums such as this if we allow a free for all?

Digital laws have been slow to catch up with the evolution of the internet. These laws in place are a good thing and we should be happy they are being enforced, otherwise the internet would be a hugely toxic place overrun by abusive trolls.

It’s honestly baffling that anyone would be upset by the Police prosecuting.

What I do realise is that making death threats , threats of physical and sexual violence is unacceptable in real life or on social media or in any arena come to that , ive yet to be shown the posts that Barton put up that did that , these laws you speak of are being selectively enforced , stretched and twisted to fit some and ignored to allow some to carry on with far worse ,

would you be baffled by Lineker comparing people to nazis getting prosecuted ? how about David lammi posts on trump ? Are they not every bit as abusive and geared to producing over the top reactions from loons ? 
its like everything else , things that have a value being twisted and abused to attack anyone that steps out of line and doesn’t agree with a certain direction of travel ,

im not seeing the police step in to arrest people calling Rowling a transphobe or bigot, im not seeing police step in to arrest anyone posting that braverman is a far right akin to nazi ,

if your calling for that kind of stuff to be enforced with arrest and prosecution across the board then you have my apologies but I know for sure many many arnt and just want a weapon to beat down and shut up anyone they don’t agree with🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

What I do realise is that making death threats , threats of physical and sexual violence is unacceptable in real life or on social media or in any arena come to that , ive yet to be shown the posts that Barton put up that did that , these laws you speak of are being selectively enforced , stretched and twisted to fit some and ignored to allow some to carry on with far worse ,

would you be baffled by Lineker comparing people to nazis getting prosecuted ? how about David lammi posts on trump ? Are they not every bit as abusive and geared to producing over the top reactions from loons ? 
its like everything else , things that have a value being twisted and abused to attack anyone that steps out of line and doesn’t agree with a certain direction of travel ,

im not seeing the police step in to arrest people calling Rowling a transphobe or bigot, im not seeing police step in to arrest anyone posting that braverman is a far right akin to nazi ,

if your calling for that kind of stuff to be enforced with arrest and prosecution across the board then you have my apologies but I know for sure many many arnt and just want a weapon to beat down and shut up anyone they don’t agree with🤷🏻‍♂️

Nobody has claimed Joey Barton has made death threats, threats of physical and sexual violence, hence why nobody has attempted to even show you these. 

Joey has been charged under the malicious communications act, which to quote.

The MCA 1988 and CA 2003 continue to encompass ‘grossly offensive’ and ‘indecent’ messages. The CA 2003 also encompasses messages which are obscene or menacing, and persistently making use of a public communications network.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/communications-offences

Also the Police have not just taken it upon themselves to charge Joey Barton, Eni Aluko has filed a complaint with the Police, which is why an investigation has taken place and seen Joey charged.

The Police do not just have an officer sat on social media all day arrested people for tweets made, yet they have a duty to investigate when complaints have been made.

Have Rowling, Braverman filed complaints with the Police against individuals?

Just now, Day said:

Nobody has claimed Joey Barton has made death threats, threats of physical and sexual violence, hence why nobody has attempted to even show you these. 

Joey has been charged under the malicious communications act, which to quote.

The MCA 1988 and CA 2003 continue to encompass ‘grossly offensive’ and ‘indecent’ messages. The CA 2003 also encompasses messages which are obscene or menacing, and persistently making use of a public communications network.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/communications-offences

Also the Police have not just taken it upon themselves to charge Joey Barton, Eni Aluko has filed a complaint with the Police, which is why an investigation has taken place and seen Joey charged.

The Police do not just have an officer sat on social media all day arrested people for tweets made, yet they have a duty to investigate when complaints have been made.

Have Rowling, Braverman filed complaints with the Police against individuals?

So pretty much someone using these laws to stamp on someone who has the Gaul to post that in they’re opinion the punditry they provide is rubbish and they are not in they’re view qualified to be in the job of giving it , police have always been in the position to look at complaints and decide whether they are fitting of arrest and putting forward to the cps as the cps also has the ability to prosecute or not , don’t know if Rowling ect has made complaints but it’s all out there ,

when I first joined this forum there were a wide range of views on stuff and posters who did not agree with a certain direction of travel on many things , decent people , educated , hard working in responsible jobs , able to form and put across a view point in a decent polite manner , I’ve seen those people called racists , bigots , sworn at ect ect , 

there are many decent posters who have just given up posting on anything of any substance and that’s quite sad , im sure I will reach that point eventually, there’s already a couple of posters I just ignore as sending abusive dm s tells you all you need to know but in the main I’m ok to disagree and debate with anyone on here or in life as long as it remains a difference of opinions that in the grand scheme of things doesn’t make anyone a bad person , they just see certain subjects differently 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Archied said:

So pretty much someone using these laws to stamp on someone who has the Gaul to post that in they’re opinion the punditry they provide is rubbish and they are not in they’re view qualified to be in the job of giving it , police have always been in the position to look at complaints and decide whether they are fitting of arrest and putting forward to the cps as the cps also has the ability to prosecute or not , don’t know if Rowling ect has made complaints but it’s all out there ,

when I first joined this forum there were a wide range of views on stuff and posters who did not agree with a certain direction of travel on many things , decent people , educated , hard working in responsible jobs , able to form and put across a view point in a decent polite manner , I’ve seen those people called racists , bigots , sworn at ect ect , 

there are many decent posters who have just given up posting on anything of any substance and that’s quite sad , im sure I will reach that point eventually, there’s already a couple of posters I just ignore as sending abusive dm s tells you all you need to know but in the main I’m ok to disagree and debate with anyone on here or in life as long as it remains a difference of opinions that in the grand scheme of things doesn’t make anyone a bad person , they just see certain subjects differently 🤷🏻‍♂️

No, he hasn't been charged for saying she's not very good at punditry. You're making light of his tweets, dare I say stretching and twisting, something which the Police/CPS are being accused of.

As for this forum, like the Police, if we receive reports on this forum we act on them. You're now the second person to claim abusive DM's yet we have yet to receive any report of these, without this we simply cannot take any kind of action.

It would be a permanent ban if we received evidence of this. Report it now, if you have abusive DM's I will ban that member immediately. 

This forum was created to discuss Derby County, we have a small number of users that see this more as a platform to discuss politics and attack the woke left or far right, despite us prohibiting that content.

If we are to lose those members that cannot let that go I am happy, the off topic area on this forum has been a no go area for many members for too long now with ongoing left v right tensions leaking into every topic. 

Even now, a discussion on Joey Barton and Eli Aluko is seeing politicians being thrown in, you may say these are perfect examples that can be used as comparisons, yet they are not remotely the same. 

This is an accusation of grossly offensive tweets from Joey Barton to Eli Aluko, which she has reported to the Police and the CPS have taken the decision to charge given the evidence, which I would assume is a little bit more than Eli Aluko is not a very good pundit, which I would agree on, and I can say this freely.

You may not like the malicious communications act, however it's there to protect us all online from being on the receiving end of abuse.

This is not political, this is not wokeness gone mad, it's a law that is being correctly used to protect you, myself and others online.

Just an add-on here. For those Derby fans that would like to discuss political issues with fellow Derby fans, Derby County Mad is a forum that would be better suited.

https://boards.footymad.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2428

It's one board with OT (off topic) mixed in with Derby County, inside the top 5 topics you have a General Election topic as well as a Brexit one.

Over 1000 pages combined to get your teeth into. I strongly recommend it for anyone looking for that mixture of discussions.