Joey Barton being Joey Barton

Gaspode

Joey Barton has been charged by police over alleged malicious communications online.

It follows an investigation by Cheshire Police who said the charges related to messages the former footballer sent between 1 January and 18 January.

Barton, 41, posted on X that he had been charged over his tweets about Eni Aluko, a former England footballer and pundit.

He will appear at Warrington Magistrates Court on Tuesday 30 July.

https://news.sky.com/story/joey-barton-charged-by-police-over-alleged-malicious-communications-13183255

3 hours ago, Day said:

Joey Barton has been charged by police over alleged malicious communications online.

It follows an investigation by Cheshire Police who said the charges related to messages the former footballer sent between 1 January and 18 January.

Barton, 41, posted on X that he had been charged over his tweets about Eni Aluko, a former England footballer and pundit.

He will appear at Warrington Magistrates Court on Tuesday 30 July.

https://news.sky.com/story/joey-barton-charged-by-police-over-alleged-malicious-communications-13183255

Just how pathetic are we getting in this country , blokes a bit of a knob and posted a non too flattering opinion on social media , WGAF ,,,,,,, police arrest him , courts waste time , it’s almost as if we have cured all the real crimes and problems in the country and our cops and judges are twiddling they’re thumbs with nothing to do ,,,, as for people who make complaints about hurty words , they need to GTFU 

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

Just how pathetic are we getting in this country , blokes a bit of a knob and posted a non too flattering opinion on social media , WGAF ,,,,,,, police arrest him , courts waste time , it’s almost as if we have cured all the real crimes and problems in the country and our cops and judges are twiddling they’re thumbs with nothing to do ,,,, as for people who make complaints about hurty words , they need to GTFU 

Going down a very slippery slope.

Unfortunately, some people will lap this up because of the person being charged.

They'd do very well to remember...

'Then they came for me...'

He's a lot of a knob to be fair @Archied

I'm guessing his history has come back to bite him here. Some of the stuff written in twitter that doesn't get pulled up from people much more influential than Barton make his Fred West and Stalin comments look like tame Frankie Boyle jokes. 

He's a massive dildo and he's been pushing back against diversity in sport. That's not ok unless you're playing for a big club in the Premier League and helping shirt sales in South America.

3 minutes ago, Alph said:

I'm guessing his history has come back to bite him here. Some of the stuff written in twitter that doesn't get pulled up from people much more influential than Barton make his Fred West and Stalin comments look like tame Frankie Boyle jokes. 

He's a massive dildo and he's been pushing back against diversity in sport. That's not ok unless you're playing for a big club in the Premier League and helping shirt sales in South America.

Being a knob is not a crime though is it?

Are we going to leave the police in charge of deciding who is and who isn't a knob, and let them charge people on the back of their decision?

Seems to be another power grab that we should all be very worried about. We are supposed to be a democracy but are becoming more and more like North Korea by the day, whilst people idly sit by and let it happen.

Very dangerous territory. 

You'd think they have more important things to be dealing with...

38 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are we going to leave the police in charge of deciding who is and who isn't a knob, and let them charge people on the back of their decision?

Seems to be another power grab that we should all be very worried about. We are supposed to be a democracy but are becoming more and more like North Korea by the day, whilst people idly sit by and let it happen.

Now I could be talking s**** here because I don’t know the law, but the term Malicious Communications makes it sound like it’s something on the harassment side of things doesn’t it? Which is obviously already in the law. He wasn’t charged for just being a bit of a d*******. 

56 minutes ago, Alph said:

Personally from what I’ve read of his comments on this he appears to believe that pundits doing tv work / giving insight into top level men’s football should be people who have played at the top level in men’s football 🤷🏻‍♂️, ive not seen him say anything regards mica Richard’s or John Barnes ( not race but more a problem with the comparison on men’s and women’s football?) or have I missed that ,

as I say that’s his opinion and so what 🤷🏻‍♂️, it’s not a crime to express an opinion ,,,,,,,, or is it ?

Edited by Archied

The issue is that the comments which he made, according to the victim, were sufficient for her to leave the country due to the backlash they received afterwards on social media. This is what the victim alledges.

When the victim posted matter to this effect on social media then Barton followed on by mocking their claim again on Twitter.

The CPS wouldn't have authorised Barton to be charged if they didn't have a realistic prospect of convicting him which to the uninitiated does fall under harassment. 

Barton has obviously some personal issues with female football commentators, I personally don't find them the most enlightened and am quite cynical about the tokenism in using them but Barton was a prat for pushing things too far. 

42 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The issue is that the comments which he made, according to the victim, were sufficient for her to leave the country due to the backlash they received afterwards on social media. This is what the victim alledges.

When the victim posted matter to this effect on social media then Barton followed on by mocking their claim again on Twitter.

The CPS wouldn't have authorised Barton to be charged if they didn't have a realistic prospect of convicting him which to the uninitiated does fall under harassment. 

Barton has obviously some personal issues with female football commentators, I personally don't find them the most enlightened and am quite cynical about the tokenism in using them but Barton was a prat for pushing things too far. 

Does leaving the country switch off your social media 🤷🏻‍♂️, jeez most of radio derby commentators/ pundits past and present and a few from rams tv would have to move to Outer Mongolia ,,,

again the thing of people wanting to force others to see them as they see themselves , to the point now of having them arrested ,

go on tv , do your thing , trouser the money , some will like what you do some won’t be able to stand what you do ,,,,,, so what 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

No I wasn't suggesting him being dragged to court for being a knob was a good thing. I won't cry for him though. 

46 minutes ago, Archied said:

Personally from what I’ve read of his comments on this he appears to believe that pundits doing tv work / giving insight into top level men’s football should be people who have played at the top level in men’s football 🤷🏻‍♂️, ive not seen him say anything regards mica Richard’s or John Barnes ( not race but more a problem with the comparison on men’s and women’s football?) or have I missed that ,

as I say that’s his opinion and so what 🤷🏻‍♂️, it’s not a crime to express an opinion ,,,,,,,, or is it ?

Yeah I wasn't saying I agreed with it

3 minutes ago, Alph said:

No I wasn't suggesting him being dragged to court for being a knob was a good thing. I won't cry for him though. 

There’s a quote from someone that goes something like the most important people to stand up to protect the rights of are the ones we most disagree with ,,, it’s very true 

Edited by Archied

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Does leaving the country switch off your social media 🤷🏻‍♂️, jeez most of radio derby commentators/ pundits past and present and a few from rams tv would have to move to Outer Mongolia ,,,

again the thing of people wanting to force others to see them as they see themselves , to the point now of having them arrested ,

go on tv , do your thing , trouser the money , some will like what you do some won’t be able to stand what you do ,,,,,, so what 🤷🏻‍♂️

The issue is that the victim has made all the claims to say she was harassed, her mental wellbeing suffered and she was in fear of her life as she felt she couldn't leave her house. 

Who am I to say that they didn't feel this way? It almost sounds like a victim statement written out in advance of any court case. 

The victim has said that Bartons comments all had that effect on her so that's the absolute barometer here. 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

But when his opinion includes comparing someone to mass murderers, when they are just trying to do their job, and this subsequently makes them feel unsafe, do you not think he has gone too far?

33 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The issue is that the victim has made all the claims to say she was harassed, her mental wellbeing suffered and she was in fear of her life as she felt she couldn't leave her house. 

Who am I to say that they didn't feel this way? It almost sounds like a victim statement written out in advance of any court case. 

The victim has said that Bartons comments all had that effect on her so that's the absolute barometer here. 

She was in fear of her life? Did Barton threaten to kill her or incite anyone else to do the same?

Now I'm no doctor but I've never heard of anyone being killed by social media comments.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

She was in fear of her life? Did Barton threaten to kill her or incite anyone else to do the same?

Now I'm no doctor but I've never heard of anyone being killed by social media comments.

I hear what you're saying but the victim will say that all those caused the mental stress on her which in turn is the definition of being harassed by someone. 

The courts aren't interested in rational logic they will hear from the victim what effect the Tweets had on her mental wellbeing. 

49 minutes ago, McArthur Park said:

But when his opinion includes comparing someone to mass murderers, when they are just trying to do their job, and this subsequently makes them feel unsafe, do you not think he has gone too far?

Give over , anyone with an ounce of sense knows he s not in any practical way / real life comparing her to Fred and rose west , it was a clumsy joke saying she was killing the punditry in the sense of a bad singer murders a song , have we really reached the stage where this kind of pathetic type of stuff is taken to the point of arresting people ? Just because somebody says they feel something doesn’t make it justified to feel that way , really it’s just bullying people into not giving a negative opinion , if the metric of how somebody says someone else makes them feel unsafe ect then there’s going to be nobody left outside of prison😂

Edited by Archied

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I hear what you're saying but the victim will say that all those caused the mental stress on her which in turn is the definition of being harassed by someone. 

The courts aren't interested in rational logic they will hear from the victim what effect the Tweets had on her mental wellbeing. 

It’s time the police and courts got interested in rational logic again 🤷🏻‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Archied said:

It’s time the police and courts got interested in rational logic again 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's the CPS though. They would have made the final decision if bringing the case was in the public interest etc