So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Recognising that he did a brilliant job under touch circumstances whilst admitting he had his faults in terms of his negativity is not an obsession. It’s just not allowing fans like you to rewrite history to ignore the job he did for us. 20th to 10th whilst slashing the budget. 

Would you have him back now?

Just now, RAM1966 said:

Would you have him back now?

No - I think we’ve moved on as a club and he’s moved on as a manager. I think we face a different challenge in that we have one of the biggest budgets in the division and are underperforming based on that. He was successful (in my opinion) at outperforming our budget when we were the underdogs. Two different challenges. 

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

No - I think we’ve moved on as a club and he’s moved on as a manager. I think we face a different challenge in that we have one of the biggest budgets in the division and are underperforming based on that. He was successful (in my opinion) at outperforming our budget when we were the underdogs. Two different challenges. 

At least we agree on that, if we are going to replace Warne, which Im not sure we can aford to do.  It has to be Warnock, I know his football isnt the best, but, he's suceeded nearly everwhere he's been!  If we its not going to be the most entertaining, at least make sure we win!

Edited by RAM1966

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No it ended 0-0

im sure we lost it having battered them for  the first 20-30 mins we absolutely murdered them and played some gorgeous football 

So i Googled it to be sure .. we lost 1-0 6th aug 2022

the lincoln away one was the nail in the coffin for me … should he have had more time… dont know

i think cocu ball had destroyed my enthusiasm for tempo less football. 

5 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

At least we agree on that, if we are going to replace Warne, which Im not sure we can aford to do.  It has to be Warnock, I know his football isnt the best, but, he's suceeded nearly everwhere he's been!  If we its not going to be the most entertaining, at least make sure we win!

I wouldn’t be adverse to him as I think he’d squeeze the most out of the squad but I’d ideally want somebody for the long term. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

I wouldn’t be adverse to him as I think he’d squeeze the most out of the squad but I’d ideally want somebody for the long term

The long term isn't the manager it's the way you want to play the game and recruit players accordingly. The manager should slot into that system.

15 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Did Clough play negative football at times? Absolutely. 

I remember us 1 up 30 mins into a game, we had the ball, thier keeper was well off his line and out of the box.  Coutts ran the ball to the corner flag to waste time at home with an hour of football still to play, rather than shooting at distance at an open goal. 

Clough stood on the sidelines clapping, that summed up his lack of ambition and his negativity.  Thats why attendances dropped, not fickle fans, just ones who could not believe a team at home would be wasting time rather than take a shot at an open goal....

Edited by RAM1966

44 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We’d have been to the premier league by now if we’d have kept him… and that would have brought back those fickle fans who stopped attending under him 👀👀

Obviously. I mean he’s been stuck managing in League 2 for the last god knows how many years with no other club interested in having him as their manager, but if we’d have kept him we’d be smashing the Prem. 🙄

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The long term isn't the manager it's the way you want to play the game and recruit players accordingly. The manager should slot into that system.

Agree but that long term has to be kick started and Warnock isn’t the ‘philosophy’ you’d start it all with is it? If you wanted a long term idea of what the football looks like - such as Swansea on their way up the divisions. 

I’’m not advocating sacking Warne but he’s drinking in the last chance saloon.  

Other than a difficult 10 months at Ipswich, Paul Cook has been extremely successful in the lower leagues, with Wigan, Portsmouth, Chesterfield. 
he’d cost compensation so wouldn’t happen, but would prefer him to Warnock. I can see why fans are craving for him but it would feel like employing Steve Evans. 

Slim pickings for decent managers out there at the moment who are out of work so if it happened then I think Clowes would go for Warnock.

Cheers 

Gangway D from the terrace 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Agree but that long term has to be kick started and Warnock isn’t the ‘philosophy’ you’d start it all with is it? If you wanted a long term idea of what the football looks like - such as Swansea on their way up the divisions. 

We've got ourselves into another mess, we need promotion and Warne was the expert hired. If we need promotion we should have chosen someone with wide experience not just with a small-time club in the Sheffield area.

11 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Obviously. I mean he’s been stuck managing in League 2 for the last god knows how many years with no other club interested in having him as their manager, but if we’d have kept him we’d be smashing the Prem. 🙄

Jesus wept why don’t you be purposely more obtuse? I said been to the prem. I didn’t say smashing it. I’d expect a 1 year stint. 

He took us from 20th to 10th over 4 full seasons anyone who doesn’t recognise that being the correct trajectory ought to get back to infant school maths lessons. I suspect it’d have taken 2 more years to be challenging for the play offs. 

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Jesus wept why don’t you be purposely more obtuse? I said been to the prem. I didn’t say smashing it. I’d expect a 1 year stint. 

He took us from 20th to 10th over 4 full seasons anyone who doesn’t recognise that being the correct trajectory ought to get back to infant school maths lessons. I suspect it’d have taken 2 more years to be challenging for the play offs. 

The facts are there, a 10 place improvement in 4 seasons, lets have another statue outside the ground!

Schteve took that team and made the play-offs by be being more direct and playing attractive attacking football.  

Clough is too negative and doesn't have that in the locker, which is why hes in League 2, its where he belongs!

Edited by RAM1966

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Don’t think we’ll get rid of Warne but if we don’t finish in the top 6 he should be sent packing before the refs finished blowing the final whistle. 

No improvement on last year would be abject failure. 

Cant see us making top 10 with these poir performances...

No one mentioned a statue. Are you so lacking in any sort of argument that you have to resort to ridiculous exaggerations of any defence of someone who steered us through a rough time in our history whilst improving year on year. 

Interesting that at a relatively big club in league 2 he’s been allowed the time he’s been given. Almost as if the chairman there thinks he’s doing a good job - 4 years with anyone in this day and age is nothing to be sniffed at. Managers do not get time. 

4 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

The facts are there, a 10 place improvement in 4 seasons, lets have another statue outside the ground.

Schteve took that team and made the play-offs be being more direct and playing attractive attacking football.  

Clough is to negative and doesn't have that in the locker, which is why hes in League 2, its where he belongs!

Edited by IlsonDerby