v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

3 hours ago, jameso said:

OK, while I'm on my way there, indulge me: are you saying Bird has put in zero good performances so far this season?

By the way, just checking - do you wear an eye patch over both eyes during matches? 😜

Bird was invisible and z waste of space against Wigan and Oxford. No making excuses he was shocking. Against button he had a reasonable second half. But I expect so much more and I’m fed up of being continually disappointed in his lack lustre performances 

10 hours ago, Somersall Ram said:

Bird was invisible and z waste of space against Wigan and Oxford. No making excuses he was shocking. Against button he had a reasonable second half. But I expect so much more and I’m fed up of being continually disappointed in his lack lustre performances 

Let's put aside for a moment the issue that we've been watching different matches; let me ask you this:

When you say you "expect so much more", do you mean -

1) Bird is clearly a very good player so you expect more from him?

2) Bird gets talked about all the time (and apparently other teams are interested in him) so you expect more from him?

3) Derby clearly should be doing better (more successfully) so you expect more from a player picked to play for us? [Alternatively: League One is clearly a poor standard so anyone should be able to do better against this level of competition]

...or something else?

Having had a bit of time to digest and let the dust settle.

my considered thoughts fwiw

a hugely disapointing result but an even more worrying performance.

you could see way before they scored our lack of being able to do the fundamental basics.

communication and organisation was clearly lacking. Players going for the same ball… balls being played short when the runner went long, balls going long when the recipient was showing short. Their players picking up space with no one around them. Its a basic of any footballer at any level to be able to communicate, to pass player on, pick players up, To be aware of players and space around them…. And we were oblivious and amateur at all of this from the word go.

thats my biggest concern and critisism of the team and warne. I would expect under him the basics to be executed flawlessly ..he talks endlessly about the small things matter and doing the basics well.

well if the oxford game was an example of this he and the club are in trouble.

hes not stupid, he knows this league and im sure it will be addressed but im genuinely not sure the players are capable of it

how can u press hard and quickly with JC upfront.. he works hard yes… but not at any sort of speed .. its not his game… would wash and MW change that? Maybe ? I hope so

but i dont get how u can be a hard pressing team with a 6ft plus oil tanker up top

its all a little worrying, but its now he earns his crust

coyr!

53 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

hes not stupid, he knows this league and im sure it will be addressed but im genuinely not sure the players are capable of it

But does he? And is that important? It doesn't take long for it too change. The only thing that seems to be consistent with what other fans told us when we were relegated was the refs were crap and there was huge amounts of time-wasting. Other than that it is populated with different types of football playing teams just as the Championship is it seems to me.

Edited by RoyMac5

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But does he? And is that important? It doesn't take long for it too change. The only thing that seems to be consistent with what other fans told us when we were relegated was the refs were crap and there was huge amounts of time-wasting. Other than that it is populated with different types of football playing teams just as the Championship is it seems to me.

Roy… u dont get promoted from this league 3 times and not know it .. cmon 

if he knows beyond this league is in doubt, questioned , to be proved but to say he doesnt know this league is silly with 3 successful promotions from it on his cv 

hes in a select few in that respect 

i know what ur saying 

u could argue he dossnt know derby county… what we expect (the moon on a stick lol) 

Edited by NottsRam77

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

if he knows beyond this league is in doubt, questioned , to be proved but to say he doesnt know this league is silly with 3 successful promotions from it on his cv 

Promoted with ONE team he relegated, three times wasn't it? Perhaps say like with our Wee Billy it was 'horses for courses'?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

Over 5 seasons promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted. There are 2 ways to view the 2 relegations, IMO.

1. He isn't up to coaching in the SBC or

2. The Millers didn't have the money to pay for the players he wanted / Rotherham wasn't a big enough draw for players / both

When he left Rotherham to come to us last season they were in 8th. Does that mean 2. above is the more likely?

On paper he recruited well. Most fans seemed to be of that opinion until the "proper" games started. Unfortunately, football is played on grass, not on paper. Every new signing is a gamble that may, or may not, come off. The measure of PW will be to see if he can take the current situation and turn it round into something resembling the confidence everybody seemed to have going into the season.

On the start, we've never done better than 2 wins from the opening 6 games in any season in which we won the League or got promoted. We have a 2 in 7 (1975) and two 2 in 8s. The rest were all 2 in 6.

Also remember 2 years ago. the Dogs down the road lost their opening 7 and went up...

Might be worth remembering, might not, that his second promotion was in the Covid season which stopped at the start of March and didn't resume. They had still played 35 matches so their position was no fluke, but it may have saved them from a late-season slump similar to the one they suffered in the following season, and the one we suffered last season.

I know people get cranky about selective stats, so...

They hadn't won in 3 games when it stopped / They'd only one 1 in 5 when it stopped / They'd won 4 of their last 8 when it stopped / They'd won 9 & drawn 4 of their last 15 when it stopped

...vlcsnap-00050.jpg

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Over 5 seasons promoted, relegated, promoted, relegated, promoted. There are 2 ways to view the 2 relegations, IMO.

2. The Millers didn't have the money to pay for the players he wanted / Rotherham wasn't a big enough draw for players / both

When he left Rotherham to come to us last season they were in 8th. Does that mean 2. above is the more likely?

On paper he recruited well. Most fans seemed to be of that opinion until the "proper" games started. Unfortunately, football is played on grass, not on paper. Every new signing is a gamble that may, or may not, come off. The measure of PW will be to see if he can take the current situation and turn it round into something resembling the confidence everybody seemed to have going into the season.

On the start, we've never done better than 2 wins from the opening 6 games in any season in which we won the League or got promoted. We have a 2 in 7 (1975) and two 2 in 8s. The rest were all 2 in 6.

Also remember 2 years ago. the Dogs down the road lost their opening 7 and went up...

And changed the manager 🤣

2 hours ago, jameso said:

Let's put aside for a moment the issue that we've been watching different matches; let me ask you this:

2) Bird gets talked about all the time (and apparently other teams are interested in him) so you expect more from him?

3) Derby clearly should be doing better (more successfully) so you expect more from a player picked to play for us? [Alternatively: League One is clearly a poor standard so anyone should be able to do better against this level of competition]

...or something else?

Other teams are interested in Bird= one bid of reported £250k . Even though he is playing further forward , most of his passes are nothing balls. Hope Sibley is back soon, he can score goals.

24 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Im not bashing him.. quite the opposite 

im pointing out he has had success at this level 3 times… his record on a tiny budget in the league above is an open discussion

what im saying is  i wont question his record at this level

2 hours ago, jameso said:

...or something else?

I expect more from all our players not just Bird. The least they can do chase every ball. Tackle and intercept and use all their energy to try and win the match. I can accept losing if the opposition are better than us. But not Bird’s and others apathy. The absolute minimum is the walk off the pitch at full time exhausted as you have given everything. Something Bird is not doing !

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Other teams are interested in Bird= one bid of reported £250k . Even though he is playing further forward , most of his passes are nothing balls. Hope Sibley is back soon, he can score goals.

Well in the sense Bradley can score goals yes. His stats aren’t wonderful.

At least he can play a bit of football so that will be welcomed 😊

2 minutes ago, Somersall Ram said:

I expect more from all our players not just Bird. The least they can do chase every ball. Tackle and intercept and use all their energy to try and win the match. I can accept losing if the opposition are better than us. But not Bird’s and others apathy. The absolute minimum is the walk off the pitch at full time exhausted as you have given everything. Something Bird is not doing !

I honestly think we're watching different matches!

I agree with you about demanding effort. I've never thought we actually do the "press" that we're told we do - not like other teams have done it to us, anyway.

But... for me, Bird is giving everything, and playing well too.

Ah well... better keep that appointment with Specsavers after all then hadn't I? 😉

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Im not bashing him.. quite the opposite 

im pointing out he has had success at this level 3 times… his record on a tiny budget in the league above is an open discussion

what im saying is  i wont question his record at this level

Didn't think you were.

16 hours ago, jono said:

Sadly I disagree. I liked Liam, would have been comfortable if he had kept the job - he would have done no better or worse than Warne at this low point; but he was really Cocu remastered. Too many Championship players and L1 players are not consistent enough to play dreamboat football. Yes, if you have all the time in the world and an academy full of eager gifted lads you could do it. But we haven’t !

impossible to know. Although he'd be going some to be worse than this. 

Rosenior's very brief spell in charge at the start of last season let's not forget, he had almost an entire new squad to try gel together. The only thing really missing from our play at the start of last season was goals. Rosenior never had Didzy available, who completely carried the team throughout Warne's time. 

We did/do have gifted lads from/in the academy, who have grown up generally playing good attacking football. They have now either been sold or forced to play head tennis.

I would much rather watch Roseniors version of football than Warnes 'football' 

2 hours ago, Somersall Ram said:

What absolute nonsense.