Review of matlock game

B4ev6is

Well guys we played pretty well and some decent touches on the ball I am please james collions getting first goal it was good cross in which scored good goal from. But 2nd half took a bit longer get into the games with james he got pace to burn and instant impact. And two new young lads he took the goal well and brown lad I was very very impressed with him I think he could make step up to first team but early doors buy signs are promising. But one man was slagging them off I turned around said for crying give lads a break for some this first time in a black and white shirt. He shut up after that I cant stand people slagging them off.

21 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well guys we played pretty well and some decent touches on the ball I am please james collions getting first goal it was good cross in which scored good goal from. But 2nd half took a bit longer get into the games with james he got pace to burn and instant impact. And two new young lads he took the goal well and brown lad I was very very impressed with him I think he could make step up to first team but early doors buy signs are promising. But one man was slagging them off I turned around said for crying give lads a break for some this first time in a black and white shirt. He shut up after that I cant stand people slagging them off.

Good to see you today. First of many wins, hopefully. 

I enjoyed going to a smaller ground for a change and it felt welcoming - kudos to both clubs for arranging this. (One negative - I've not stood for a full 90 minutes for 35 or so years, felt decidedly ancient with my achy back and legs!)

Agree with you about Brown - I felt he was a little uncertain for a few minutes then looked so much better after a few touches. Appeared to want to get in the box - nice to see.

I felt there was a far faster approach to getting forward and the "hold it and pass sideways or back" approach was far less evident. Having 90% of the possession but zero goals gets you nowhere, so I'm pleased we are looking to get the ball, move it forwards and get attacking. A strong back line will give confidence for this approach.

My son made an interesting comment, he felt it was like the Oxford match last season - a little scrappy at times, people not on the same wavelength and a few off the pace and that showed how having a good few pre-season matches is important. I think we will see a far better start to the season thanks to this.

Overall very steady and calm for the whole 90 as you’d expect in the first pre season friendly back.

I Thought Elder looked very composed with the ball at feet and showed a few nice passes, especially liked some of the switches to ward as getting ball from wing back to wing back can be deadly on the break. Also liked Wards confidence in his ability when trying crosses and shots.

Out of all the youth players I Thought Robinson and Bardell were probably the pick of the bunch, also thought Radcliffe was very neat and did very well for his goal, will be a good player for the 21s this season and maybe in a few cup games for the senior team.

11 hours ago, hydraulic ram said:

I enjoyed going to a smaller ground for a change and it felt welcoming - kudos to both clubs for arranging this. (One negative - I've not stood for a full 90 minutes for 35 or so years, felt decidedly ancient with my achy back and legs!)

Agree with you about Brown - I felt he was a little uncertain for a few minutes then looked so much better after a few touches. Appeared to want to get in the box - nice to see.

I felt there was a far faster approach to getting forward and the "hold it and pass sideways or back" approach was far less evident. Having 90% of the possession but zero goals gets you nowhere, so I'm pleased we are looking to get the ball, move it forwards and get attacking. A strong back line will give confidence for this approach.

My son made an interesting comment, he felt it was like the Oxford match last season - a little scrappy at times, people not on the same wavelength and a few off the pace and that showed how having a good few pre-season matches is important. I think we will see a far better start to the season thanks to this.

I like to stand but I did sit down I throught it was great you could take beer into the stands makes a change on that front. And able take my time in drinking it instead of rushing it down my neck. 

Libellous ? Don’t make me laugh it’s my opinion based on reading many of your replies to B4. Note I didn’t reply to your comment on the Billy Sharp section as that was a fair enough question. 
My ex partner had an autistic child with learning difficulties and sometimes what they were thinking comes out different to what they write as the mind races away and the writing expression doesn’t always catch up. 
All I am saying is don’t take his posts too literally and make allowances for his over enthusiasm that he has at times. 
Enjoy him as an enthusiastic Ramsfan and poster , engage in a respectful way like you did on the Billy Sharp post. 
That’s all I have to say on the matter. I’m sure after all that you are a reasonable chap and did not mean to come across as you seemed to. 

10 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

What formation did we play ? was it warnes prefered 3 at the back with wing backs ?

It was essentially the 3-4-3 we finished the season using, with two wings-backs, and two attacking midfielders narrow either side of the striker.

In the first-half, the midfield four were a “box” two CMs and two AMs. After the break it was more of a diamond, DM, CMs x 2, and AMC but it went back to a box when Robinson came back on for Thompson.

On 08/07/2023 at 19:56, B4ev6is said:

Did he have grey hair (the man slagging the Rams off )by any chance ?

On 10/07/2023 at 00:38, B4ev6is said:

I like to stand but I did sit down I throught it was great you could take beer into the stands makes a change on that front. And able take my time in drinking it instead of rushing it down my neck. 

Saw quite a few making use of this "freedom", including one or two who looked like they would be suffering the day after!