Snapped my achillies

NottsRam77

Just wandered if anyone else has done this

did it last tuesday playing footy, just turned out of a situtation with the ball to come back inside when there was a loud snap and a shoot of pain to the back of my achillies.

@JaLoRam has been wonderful sharing his experience with me and what i should expect and what lies ahead.

just wandered if anyone else had done it and had any handy hints as to how to get by, with mobility, washing with this dam boot on, anything else they found helpful in any way shape or form with any aspect of it

its mental torchure, im 45 and if another person says end of playing career i think ill cry, even though i know its probably the case 😞 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

did it last tuesday playing footy, just turned out of a situtation with the ball to come back inside when there was a loud snap and a shoot of pain to the back of my achillies.

@JaLoRam has been wonderful sharing his experience with me and what i should expect and what lies ahead.

just wandered if anyone else had done it and had any handy hints as to how to get by, with mobility, washing with this dam boot on, anything else they found helpful in any way shape or form with any aspect of it

its mental torchure, im 45 and if another person says end of playing career i think ill cry, even though i know its probably the case 😞 

Injuries are horrible. Be patient, don’t try to rush back and keep it protected. You’ll be back!

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

45? Let's be honest, you was done 5 years ago, now just trying to eek more seasons out until you can only get a game in walking football.

I'm 45 and played football last Tuesday and my achilles was pretty sore at start. Should have stopped right away when felt how saw it was but continue. Think I pulled the bottom of my calf and thought after I was lucky I didn't do what you hVe done. Get well soon and hope you get back playing again soon.

Watched my son-in-law play in a charity seven a side yesterday. His team were over 40 and drinking throughout but they did pretty well.

He was scythed down for a penalty and his leg started to balloon to the hilarity of all.

This morning he’s a clinical emergency with compartment syndrome.

So easy for fun to turn nasty.

All the best Notts Ram.

Football is all iv known and playing it has been a massive part of my life not just for fun but physical and mental well being

iv always been competitive so going back and playing and not pushing myself to make that tackle, track my man or getting into that pocket of space to get on the ball would be totally alien to me and probably not be able to stop myself from Doing so. So iv not idea how i make a return and not risk rupturing it again.

and the thought of walking football just doesnt do it for me atm 

Just bloody gutted atm

I empathise mate. Played eleven a side  for over thirty years for my village team. 
Giving up was so hard and I couldn’t watch amateur football for years.

You’ll play again I’m sure but you will also find loads of other good stuff to do in life.

Football is all iv known and playing it has been a massive part of my life not just for fun but physical and mental well being

iv always been competitive so going back and playing and not pushing myself to make that tackle, track my man or getting into that pocket of space to get on the ball would be totally alien to me and probably not be able to stop myself from Doing so. So iv not idea how i make a return and not risk rupturing it again.

and the thought of walking football just doesnt do it for me atm 

Just bloody gutted atm

Haven’t got any advice on the playing side but have you thought about managing? Keeps you in and around it without the risk.

16 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I empathise mate. Played eleven a side  for over thirty years for my village team. 
Giving up was so hard and I couldn’t watch amateur football for years.

You’ll play again I’m sure but you will also find loads of other good stuff to do in life.

Cheers buddy, yer its going to be tough i think

i enjoy swimming so thats something, although tbh i largely did it help me stay fit and improve my stamina for football lol (the irony) but itll have to be my new go to for general fitness. 
where i get that release and competitive buzz from though iv no idea atm

could go in goal maybe, but its hardly the same, with respect to keepers 

9 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Haven’t got any advice on the playing side but have you thought about managing? Keeps you in and around it without the risk.

Thats not a bad shout u know.

it is something iv thought about vaguely, got offered the chance to years ago one of the local kids sides but wanted to play.

maybe thats something to revisit, my son isnt old enough yet to be playing but thats an obvious thing to look at when he is.

maybe i could look into coaching badges or something in the meantime

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Thats not a bad shout u know.

it is something iv thought about vaguely, got offered the chance to years ago one of the local kids sides but wanted to play.

maybe thats something to revisit, my son isnt old enough yet to be playing but thats an obvious thing to look at when he is.

maybe i could look into coaching badges or something in the meantime

May I go left field and suggest a women’s team. One of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. 

Perhaps consider becoming a referee... OK, you may not be able to quite keep up with play, but that doesn't stop the other feckers... and there's the added bonus of you being biased towards Derby, as opposed to all the aforementioned other feckers!  👀

2 hours ago, Srg said:

May I go left field and suggest a women’s team. One of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. 

Im open to all ideas atm buddy 

the local village club has a big womans set up so could be quite possible. The mens sides have fallen away quite some bit from what they used to be, used to have about 5 mens sides playing on the weekend once got into the fa cup premlinarys, back in the day. So quite like the idea of trying to help them get back to where they were.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Perhaps consider becoming a referee... OK, you may not be able to quite keep up with play, but that doesn't stop the other feckers... and there's the added bonus of you being biased towards Derby, as opposed to all the aforementioned other feckers!  👀

Couldnt be a referee lol

so many reasons 😂

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Didn't they get beat like 10-0 every week whilst you was coaching them? 😂

25 minutes ago, David said:

Didn't they get beat like 10-0 every week whilst you was coaching them? 😂

They did when I started. 4 years later won the league and cup double before leaving.