Favourite UK holiday resorts?

ziggyram59

1 minute ago, sage said:

I went to the Derbyshire Miners Holiday Camp when i was 4. All kids 7 and above stayed in big dorms.

Like a public school for poor people.

Me Dad worked at BR so we had free rail passes. He didn't drive until I was 14 so all my childhood holidays were on the train to Skeggy or North Wales. We went to Dawlish once and Burnham on sea once as well but that must have been hard work for mum and dad with changing trains etc with 4 kids.

You could get straight through from Utch to Skeggy and Rhyl on special holiday trains in the 70's. It was a bit like the Ramaway trains of the same era only more violent with families falling out with each other!

10 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Me Dad worked at BR so we had free rail passes. He didn't drive until I was 14 so all my childhood holidays were on the train to Skeggy or North Wales. We went to Dawlish once and Burnham on sea once as well but that must have been hard work for mum and dad with changing trains etc with 4 kids.

You could get straight through from Utch to Skeggy and Rhyl on special holiday trains in the 70's. It was a bit like the Ramaway trains of the same era only more violent with families falling out with each other!

Did you go on the mystery train tours?

We did 2. One year we thought we were going to Tenby but ended up at Barry Island

The following year what we hoped was Great Yarmouth turned out to be Lowestoft.

We gave up at that point

2 minutes ago, sage said:

Did you go on the mystery train tours?

We did 2. One year we thought we were going to Tenby but ended up at Barry Island

The following year what we hoped was Great Yarmouth turned out to be Lowestoft.

We gave up at that point

Haha, no didn't do the mystery ones. Always assumed Rhyl and Skeggy were upgrades on Barry Island though.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yes. many times as a kid.

More recently, took me grandkids through after a trip to Llandudno but kept the windows shut and drove quickly.

We used to cycle through… until I turned left, and some scrote nicked my watch! 😲

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Been to Dawlish a few times lovely place. 

18 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Lived a short distance from Rhyl and from the 50's through to mid 70's it was great - for kids anyway. Now it's just like a coastal version of Stoke 😟

47 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Lived a short distance from Rhyl and from the 50's through to mid 70's it was great - for kids anyway. Now it's just like a coastal version of Stoke 😟

Yes, my grandparents used to live at KInmel Bay in the late sixties/early seventies and a Saturday evening trip into Rhyl was always a treat. It certainly seems to have gone downhill since then. Then again, I was very young at the time so perhaps it just didn’t seem so bad at that age.

Rhyl is a nice place to have in your rear view mirror. Kids loved it though

I like Blackpool but I'm not really sure why. Have a great 2 days there most years. But then, I don't hate Skegness like most people seem to. I do hate fantasy Island though. 

We go to a cottage near Snowdonia. Nice walks around it and then you've got all the places named here within 45 minutes. I love Conwy but every time I go it's soooo busy. 

The plan is Primrose Valley soon. Drive to Robin Hood's Bay because as a kid I loved it. Not been since. 

I just remembered last time I was in Rhyl a chap running a ride asked me to get on because it needed counter weight. Asked me for a token! 

Newquay, love the surfer vibes around the town. Took the kids a few weeks back & admitted to myself that it has a darker underbelly of stag / hen doo's... chavs...always did have - even back when my parents first took me back in '83.

Guess its like the opening scene of Moulin Rouge where Christian thinks he is in a bohemian heaven but in reality... Montmartre is my favourite place on the planet!