The Rugby Union Thread

Comrade 86

Arundell continues to score at an average of over one try per game in Toulouse. Interesting that they appear to be switching him to 15, presumably to get him ball in hand and in space more often. To say I'm jealous is something of an understatement and it's fair to say the locals have rather taken a shine to him. I cant say I know what he's like under a spiral bomb, but assuming he's at least adequate (starting at 15 for Toulouse suggests he might be) then what a prospect he is running from deep or on the angle. Seething, I am! 😂

Also, had not realised that Saffa skipper Siya Kolisi lad joined them this season as well and the French sides look terrifying, even if you set aside La Rochelle (and frankly, who will do that?!?!).

For any of you thinking a libation or several and a game of rugby from the warmth of your living room might trump the 9th Christmas market of the season, Toulouse take on the Quins tomorrow @5.30PM and I wouldn't put anyone off watching the game, which really ought to be a belter.

Bah humbug!

4 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Don't worry, we've got Borthwi......oh. 

I actually feel sorry for him. He was dumped in the job too near to the World Cup to change anything and the RFU seem intent on handicapping him to the hilt. Shawn of some of our top players, it's hard to see where the improvement, but Borth did take Leicester to the title in his second season there, so whilst not half full, my glass still contains some liquid. Just!

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

I actually feel sorry for him. He was dumped in the job too near to the World Cup to change anything and the RFU seem intent on handicapping him to the hilt. Shawn of some of our top players, it's hard to see where the improvement, but Borth did take Leicester to the title in his second season there, so whilst not half full, my glass still contains some liquid. Just!

Agree he did a fantastic job at Leicester but I've seen little to like in terms of picks, tactics, poor subtitutions etc. for what is a big step up to manage England.  Very keen to see what the team looks like for...blimey, just 7 weeks time.  

14 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Agree he did a fantastic job at Leicester but I've seen little to like in terms of picks, tactics, poor subtitutions etc. for what is a big step up to manage England.  Very keen to see what the team looks like for...blimey, just 7 weeks time.  

Got to say I'd been really disappointed with him in the handful of games he got with the squad before the RWC, but let's not forget he was the one coach to outthink Rassie in the last 4 to 5 years. We were a few minutes from reaching the final and even with the weaker side of the draw, we had no right to on any form we've seen since 2019. I want to see Steve be more Steve and less Eddie, but I can understand why he may have felt that to tinker too much might have caused as many problems as it solved. He earned massive credit with me for that, despite ignoring the claims of some promising young'uns. Roger Sweeney though, can go eat a bowl of chubbies. Seems intent on overseeing the decline of rugby in the UK and needs sacking given he's not got the class to admit he's not up to the job and step away himself. Clinging on a for a fat salary for all he's worth.

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

How you guys have let Shaun Edwards and Farrell slip through your net (for now) beggers belief. 

Do you reckon it's their choice or somehow their faces don't fit with the RFU? 

20:80 Both proud Englishmen, their records on the pitch tell their own story on that score, but I don't think they feel there's any appetite for the overhaul of the English game that is now required. It took a long time for the French to employ the likes of Galthié but when they did, he fundamentally changed the set-up from the youth teams up. The RFU's main raison d'etre is lining their own pockets at the expense of English rugby fans and the game in this country. Only the Welsh have messed up their domestic teams more, but then it's jobs for the boys isn't it? It won't change while Sweeney is at the helm, that's for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Sad day today

A football man now but I grew up watching Union, the great 60/70’s teams on grass and mud. Wales playing the equivalent of total football. The names of them and their rivals ring out today, Barry John, Gareth Edwards, Jeane Pierre Romeu, Grant Batty, Gerald Davies, Phil Bennet and so many others

JPR Williams left us today. He has a place waiting in my pantheon of the greats. 

I maybe rose tinted but the way those teams played in that era was, at times, high art. We talk about ball on the floor, they moved the ball hand to hand and on the day it was electric.  

Edited by jono

8 hours ago, jono said:

Sad day today

A football man now but I grew up watching Union, the great 60/70’s teams on grass and mud. Wales playing the equivalent of total football. The names of them and their rivals ring out today, Barry John, Gareth Edwards, Jeane Pierre Romeu, Grant Batty, Gerald Davies, Phil Bennet and so many others

JPR Williams left us today. He has a place waiting in my pantheon of the greats. 

I maybe rose tinted but the way those teams played in that era was, at times, high art. We talk about ball on the floor, they moved the ball hand to hand and on the day it was electric.  

Not at all. It was indeed electrifying and that was intensified by the commentary of the day. Those names became legends.

JPR was a tough guy but it’s his rugby that should be remembered (as well as his successful day job).

A smidge before my time but I've watched both videos any number of times over the years, so for those who do remember JPR, here's a couple of links. The second conveys the sense of man and player rather well I think and while I agree that there were some great players back then, it's a very different game now. Check out our set pieces - blimey! 😂

Well this is interesting! Andy Farrell named Lions Head Coach for their next tour (June 2025). Pre-empt to the England job thereafter? In any case, well done to him, thoroughly earned and deserved. Had my doubts when he first took the Ireland job but boy has he set me right on that score. Seems I'm a shyte judge of an international rugby coach 😂

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67935698

England's Six Nations squad

Forwards: Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Alex Coles, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Chandler Cunningham-South, Ben Curry, Theo Dan, Alex Dombrandt, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George (capt), Joe Heyes, Nick Isiekwe, Maro Itoje, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Tom Pearson, Ethan Roots, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill.

Backs: Oscar Beard, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Fraser Dingwall, Immanuel Feyi-Waboso, George Ford, Tommy Freeman, George Furbank, Ollie Lawrence, Alex Mitchell, Tom Roebuck, Henry Slade, Fin Smith, Marcus Smith, Ben Spencer, Freddie Steward.

Arundell, Willis, Marchant, Ribbans among others who are ineligible for England selection under residency rules, yet Welshman Immanuel Feyi-Waboso is fine as he wants to finish up University in England. Don't get me wrong, Immanuel is free to choose and I welcome a player of his outstanding ability, it's just restriction of trade enforced by the RFU that makes me want to scream.

On that subject, Arundell has extended to 2026 with Racing 92, so we can look forward to seeing him pulling on a French jersey not too long thereafter. You couldn't make it up!

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

England's Six Nations squad

Forwards: Ollie Chessum, Dan Cole, Alex Coles, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Chandler Cunningham-South, Ben Curry, Theo Dan, Alex Dombrandt, Ben Earl, Ellis Genge, Jamie George (capt), Joe Heyes, Nick Isiekwe, Maro Itoje, Joe Marler, Beno Obano, Tom Pearson, Ethan Roots, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill.

Backs: Oscar Beard, Danny Care, Elliot Daly, Fraser Dingwall, Immanuel Feyi-Waboso, George Ford, Tommy Freeman, George Furbank, Ollie Lawrence, Alex Mitchell, Tom Roebuck, Henry Slade, Fin Smith, Marcus Smith, Ben Spencer, Freddie Steward.

Arundell, Willis, Marchant, Ribbans among others who are ineligible for England selection under residency rules, yet Welshman Immanuel Feyi-Waboso is fine as he wants to finish up University in England. Don't get me wrong, Immanuel is free to choose and I welcome a player of his outstanding ability, it's just restriction of trade enforced by the RFU that makes me want to scream.

On that subject, Arundell has extended to 2026 with Racing 92, so we can look forward to seeing him pulling on a French jersey not too long thereafter. You couldn't make it up!

Here we go again, good old 6 nations. 

It's shaping up to be a strange one though with all nations missing some stalwarts. 

Our back line looks frightening with so much strength that Chris Harris doesn't make the squad but it's possibly the forwards that give me concern. 

Possibly the weakest in a long time and makes the omission of Hamish Watson even stranger. 

I'm going to Cardiff in week 1 for our ritual capitulation, however I see aslef have called train strikes that weekend.....😡 and at the moment no trains are available. 

16 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Here we go again, good old 6 nations. 

It's shaping up to be a strange one though with all nations missing some stalwarts. 

Our back line looks frightening with so much strength that Chris Harris doesn't make the squad but it's possibly the forwards that give me concern. 

Possibly the weakest in a long time and makes the omission of Hamish Watson even stranger. 

I'm going to Cardiff in week 1 for our ritual capitulation, however I see aslef have called train strikes that weekend.....😡 and at the moment no trains are available. 

I'd fancy your chances of seeing off Wales, even in their own backyard tbf, but sorry to hear about the trains. Are you based in Scotland - maybe a flight instead. Edinburgh to Cardiff is about £100 IIRC.

16 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I'd fancy your chances of seeing off Wales, even in their own backyard tbf, but sorry to hear about the trains. Are you based in Scotland - maybe a flight instead. Edinburgh to Cardiff is about £100 IIRC.

I'm not far from Loughborough and normally get the train straight through from Derby to Cardiff. 

I think Cardiff to Leicester is still running so can Uber it home from there. 

2002 was the last time we won in Cardiff.....surely due a win at some point. 

45 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I'm not far from Loughborough and normally get the train straight through from Derby to Cardiff. 

I think Cardiff to Leicester is still running so can Uber it home from there. 

2002 was the last time we won in Cardiff.....surely due a win at some point. 

Ah, that's a deal easier. It's a long old hoodoo I grant you, but the Welsh are a mess right now and I'd be confident tbh.