Unsung NHS Heroes (potentially polical depending on how you read it)

bimmerman

On 13/02/2023 at 21:24, bimmerman said:

Today I've had surgery to remove a load of metalwork from my leg that's been holding it together since my car accident a few years ago(see what do you drive thread for pictures...). I have to say the NHS nurses, doctors, anesthetists and everyone I've come across have been absolutely fantastic 

This is absolutely a service we can't afford to lose. Please do everything in your power to support them..use your votes when the time comes

What vote do we have on the NHS?

Of course we will have both parties using it as a vote winner but in reality neither of them will do much to improve it.

In my opinion it has been in a gradual decline for about 20 years now, a period that has had Government from both of the major parties. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

There was even a Thanksgiving Sevice* held in St Paul's Cathedral for the NHS in 2021. So, yes, "worshipping". Here's a piece about it in the Church Times: https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2021/9-july/news/uk/st-paul-s-marks-anniversary-of-nhs-newly-honoured-by-the-queen

As it happens my books are indeed well-reasoned, sadly unlike your posts.

* service

Have you actually read what you've linked and do you actually know what the word 'worship' means? I assume that as a renowned scientist / novelist / editor / film critic / scriptwriter (you're quite the Renaissance man, are you not!), you possess sufficient wit to grasp the meaning of the word? If so, would you kindly find me one post on here (since this is the platform you've addressed) that 'worships' the NHS, or have you simply mistaken dcfcfans.uk for the Church Times? 

Let's cut to the chase here; you have chosen to sermonise folk on 'worshipping the NHS' on a forum where that has not happened and in a thread where folk have already acknowledged it's failings, as has been the case on numerous other threads. You've used the phrase 'please can we stop worshipping (the NHS)' so your audience clearly isn't the Church Times and its readership, is it? See where I'm going with this? 

You'll have to excuse my poorly written and poorly thought-out observation that you've made yourself look a bit of a fool, amongst other things.

47 minutes ago, Norman said:

But you can do it to Carl?

"As for Musky Elon preserving the light of consciousness... Gimme a break. Some folk are so keen to worship at his altar"

Do you think there might be a clue as to the tongue in cheek nature of one post, versus the doubling-down on the other. Also, have you noticed that one post refers to comments made on this forum, whereas the other refers to something written in the Church Times.

Way to go on completely missing the point though, but I guess you were so anxious to chime in that you shot your load a tad early.

That Church Times article says that the Queen awarded the George Cross medal to the NHS, so if anyone is guilty of worshipping the NHS it's her.

I don't know about anyone else, but  I'm really not OK with people disrespecting the late Queen's memory by suggesting that she needs to get over her blind adoration and worship of the NHS. She's barely cold in the ground and she's having her legacy trashed. Shocking stuff

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

That Church Times article says that the Queen awarded the George Cross medal to the NHS, so if anyone is guilty of worshipping the NHS it's her.

I don't know about anyone else, but  I'm really not OK with people disrespecting the late Queen's memory by suggesting that she needs to get over her blind adoration and worship of the NHS. She's barely cold in the ground and she's having her legacy trashed. Shocking stuff

It's got to be the most bizarre defence of a ridiculous standpoint ever. Yeah but, Church Times.... Really!?!

I feel way better about my Musky Elon comments now though, so every cloud... ?

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What vote do we have on the NHS?

Of course we will have both parties using it as a vote winner but in reality neither of them will do much to improve it.

In my opinion it has been in a gradual decline for about 20 years now, a period that has had Government from both of the major parties. 

I think there is a belief that given the chance, this government would have us paying for treatment. I don't want to start a debate on that as it's been done to death before now and will only re-open old wounds anyway, but I'm guessing that Labour is currently viewed by the majority as the party most likely to increase funding. Whether that is true or not, we will have to wait and see. 

Just now, maxjam said:

I've only skimmed but other than you making it personal, I thought we were talking in general and not about anyone on here?

That was your first mistake then wasn't it?

I see the Guardian has now become a credible news source Chex Maxjam. That's a marked change.

Welcome to the red side comrade.

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think there is a belief that given the chance, this government would have us paying for treatment. I don't want to start a debate on that as it's been done to death before now and will only re-open old wounds anyway, but I'm guessing that Labour is currently viewed by the majority as the party most likely to increase funding. Whether that is true or not, we will have to wait and see. 

I was of the understanding that it was enshrined in law that the NHS could not be privatised but I may be wrong.

I was also of the understanding that investment in the NHS is at levels never seen before but once again I may be wrong or have had the wool pulled over my eyes by misleading articles. 

I still believe that we should be looking at improving efficiency before increasing investment, just my opinion and I guess it could be argued the 2 go hand in hand. 

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm pleased to see they referenced the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony, which IMO became utterly nauseating with the way it went on and on about the NHS.

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

That was your first mistake then wasn't it?

I see the Guardian has now become a credible news source Chex Maxjam. That's a marked change.

Welcome to the red side comrade.

I've never been on the blue side, just not off the deep end red as they currently are.

And I always try to find Guardian links where possible, anything else gets instantly dismissed ?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was also of the understanding that investment in the NHS is at levels never seen before but once again I may be wrong or have had the wool pulled over my eyes by misleading articles.

From the most recent ONS 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/healthcaresystem/articles/howdoesukhealthcarespendingcomparewithothercountries/2019-08-29

In 2017, the UK spent £2,989 per person on healthcare, which was around the median for members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development: OECD (£2,913 per person).

However, of the G7 group of large, developed economies, UK healthcare spending per person was the second-lowest, with the highest spenders being France (£3,737), Germany (£4,432) and the United States (£7,736).

As a percentage of GDP, UK healthcare spending fell from 9.8% in 2013 to 9.6% in 2017, while healthcare spending as a percentage of GDP rose for four of the remaining six G7 countries.

In 2017, the UK spent the equivalent of £560 per person on health-related long-term care, which was less than most other northern or western European countries, but a similar amount to France (£569) and Canada (£556).

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was of the understanding that it was enshrined in law that the NHS could not be privatised but I may be wrong.

I still believe that we should be looking at improving efficiency before increasing investment, just my opinion and I guess it could be argued the 2 go hand in hand. 

Wouldn't disagree with any of that to be honest, which is kind of the crux of my last half dozen posts on this subject. I think most folk can see that reform is required and I also think most folk would like to see that in progress rather than the NHS simply being used for half-baked manifestos and political manoeuvring.

I'll be voting Labour again at the next general election in the hope that they keep their promises, but my confidence is diminished.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I've never been on the blue side, just not off the deep end red as they currently are.

And I always try to find Guardian links where possible, anything else gets instantly dismissed ?

Ah, the old I'm a centrist spiel. Gotta run but I'll leave this here for you.

Why I'm a centrist who always ends up backing right-wing policies

by Martin Bishop, political centrist and floating voter, of Swindon

PEOPLE often say to me, ‘Martin, why do you bother calling yourself a centrist when you always take right-wing views?’ They just don’t understand the benefits of centrism.

Firstly, it means I’m above simplistic ‘left’ and ‘right’ dogma. So not only can I choose the best policies from anywhere on the political spectrum, I’m also superior to you mere partisans, which gives me a lovely warm feeling.

And because my views are in the centre, they’re more sensible. Take the economy. Yes, Truss got it wrong. But everyone knows the Tories can be trusted with the economy. 

I can’t explain why, they just can, and Labour would fritter decent people’s taxes on takeaways for fat unemployed skivers. Being a centrist means I’m able to take this nuanced view.

Secondly, it means you’re not right-wing, which has unpleasant associations with the BNP or racist pensioners droning on about National Service. That’s nothing like me, a cool guy who listens to Florence + The Machine and cooks baltis.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/why-im-a-centrist-who-always-ends-up-backing-right-wing-policies-20230214231606

17 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

PEOPLE often say to me, ‘Martin, why do you bother calling yourself a centrist when you always take right-wing views?’ They just don’t understand the benefits of centrism.

Firstly, it means I’m above simplistic ‘left’ and ‘right’ dogma. So not only can I choose the best policies from anywhere on the political spectrum, I’m also superior to you mere partisans, which gives me a lovely warm feeling.

And because my views are in the centre, they’re more sensible. Take the economy. Yes, Truss got it wrong. But everyone knows the Tories can be trusted with the economy. 

I can’t explain why, they just can, and Labour would fritter decent people’s taxes on takeaways for fat unemployed skivers. Being a centrist means I’m able to take this nuanced view.

Secondly, it means you’re not right-wing, which has unpleasant associations with the BNP or racist pensioners droning on about National Service. That’s nothing like me, a cool guy who listens to Florence + The Machine and cooks baltis.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/why-im-a-centrist-who-always-ends-up-backing-right-wing-policies-20230214231606

Lol, so you bemoan others choice of link yet infer a conclusion from a Daily Mash article.

Yup, time to run myself now, nothing left to discuss ?

Edited by maxjam

13 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

image.png.bf2442c6b05a4b427d28f5759b9664c2.png

Just now, maxjam said:

Lol, so you bemoan others choice of link yet infer a conclusion from a Daily Mash article.

Yup, time to run myself now, nothing let to discuss ?

Where did I bemoan your choice of link? I welcomed you comrade.

As for the Mash, you're only having a hissy because it's you to a tee sweetcheeks.