The 6 Nations & RWC 2023 Thread

Comrade 86

Honestly, I think we've just seen why Borthwick and Jones before him persisted with Farrell. That was as gutless a half of rugby as I've ever seen from a team wearing the red rose. Jack van Poortvliet should be nowhere near this team. Too many others believing they're a deal better players than they are.

Understand that Borthwick needed to steady the ship, but we may as well have a major clear out now as it can't get worse than this. 

A brilliant French performance, but how far off them were we?

I thought we were closer but player for player we were nowhere near.

Horrifying effort. Ireland will be wanting to go one better and put 60 on us next weekend.

And you wouldn't bet against them...

Don't envy Steve Borthwicks job for next weekend. He's got nothing to work with out of that lot and no time to do anything different.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A brilliant French performance, but how far off them were we?

I thought we were closer but player for player we were nowhere near.

Horrifying effort. Ireland will be wanting to go one better and put 60 on us next weekend.

And you wouldn't bet against them...

Don't envy Steve Borthwicks job for next weekend. He's got nothing to work with out of that lot and no time to do anything different.

I could understand it if England had fielded an inexperienced team. The pack were hurried into errors and the backs? Who on earth trains these guys?

Hesitant, disjointed, clueless. No cohesion at all. 

When did we last have a back line that could pass to each other and find a break?

France we’re brilliant but we made it so easy for them. Van Portvliet and Smith are out of their depth.

One of those games for England where almost everything France did in attack came off. 

France in the breakdown had the game of their lives and their strength on the gainline was immense. 

I guess Borthwick will come under scrutiny for letting Smith go back to Quinns while the backs were training with Ford and Farrell for a week. 

No better place for redemption than Dublin next week. 

Just back from my usual pub seat watching what can only be described as an embarrassment. Boys against men. France were brilliant, England were all over the place and clueless. Honestly I can't see where an improved performance is coming from. We even debated cancelling our table for next week's game as honestly can't see anything but the same result. 

To top it all off my best mate got a call after the fame say his father in law had suddenly died. His wife took the call whilst out for dinner with their 12 yr old daughter. He was due to fly up to EDH Friday as they have tickets for next week's game at Murrayfield.  Crap doesn't even begin to describe it ? 

6 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Just back from my usual pub seat watching what can only be described as an embarrassment. Boys against men. France were brilliant, England were all over the place and clueless. Honestly I can't see where an improved performance is coming from. We even debated cancelling our table for next week's game as honestly can't see anything but the same result. 

To top it all off my best mate got a call after the fame say his father in law had suddenly died. His wife took the call whilst out for dinner with their 12 yr old daughter. He was due to fly up to EDH Friday as they have tickets for next week's game at Murrayfield.  Crap doesn't even begin to describe it ? 

Ah f***, that's awful mate. Not much one can say really other than condolences to all concerned. Puts a poor game of rugby in perspective, that's for sure. 

Woke up at silly o'clock as usual and decided to review the game. Wish I hadn't. I tried to count the pens, turnovers, handling errors and the number of times JVP forgot to pick up the ball at the breakdown. Lost count around 20 mins in. I thought the process might reduce my levels of pissyness but it seems to had had the adverse effect.

Quick word on the Italians too - WTAF! I'm actually gutted for them as they seemed to be able to cut through the Welsh at will but also got nosebleeds every time they approached the white stuff. They'll be absolutely screwing as that's a game that they gift-wrapped, though I concede the Welsh had a fair bit of fortune too. That said, it would have been terribly hard on the Welsh lads had their season from hell ended with a wooden spoon too. Poor Italy though! 

Here's hoping Scotland and Ireland serve up the competitive treat so lacking in the other two games. Would love to see the Scots nick it, but I think it'll be a really tough brief, even with the Murrayfield crowd in full voice.

11 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Woke up at silly o'clock as usual and decided to review the game. Wish I hadn't. I tried to count the pens, turnovers, handling errors and the number of times JVP forgot to pick up the ball at the breakdown. Lost count around 20 mins in. I thought the process might reduce my levels of pissyness but it seems to had had the adverse effect.

Quick word on the Italians too - WTAF! I'm actually gutted for them as they seemed to be able to cut through the Welsh at will but also got nosebleeds every time they approached the white stuff. They'll be absolutely screwing as that's a game that they gift-wrapped, though I concede the Welsh had a fair bit of fortune too. That said, it would have been terribly hard on the Welsh lads had their season from hell ended with a wooden spoon too. Poor Italy though! 

Here's hoping Scotland and Ireland serve up the competitive treat so lacking in the other two games. Would love to see the Scots nick it, but I think it'll be a really tough brief, even with the Murrayfield crowd in full voice.

Are you a masochist? I don't think I ever want to see it again. That said,  if you want to see the perfect side play almost perfect rugby then watching France yesterday would be it. 

Gutted about Italy. They did some very good stuff but genuinely seemed terrified of the try line. They left at least 4 tries out there. It was bizarre. 

3 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Are you a masochist? I don't think I ever want to see it again. That said,  if you want to see the perfect side play almost perfect rugby then watching France yesterday would be it. 

Gutted about Italy. They did some very good stuff but genuinely seemed terrified of the try line. They left at least 4 tries out there. It was bizarre. 

My loyalty to this forum answers your first query mate! ?In truth, I probably average about 3 hours sleep a night so I have too much spare time on hands! 

I do feel for the Italians. They've put it up to every side they've faced at points during their games to date, but went missing at just the wrong time. This will have hurt them more than any hammering they've taken over the years as they did more than enough to win the game even accounting for unlucky bounces and some idiosyncratic refereeing. They are improving at a rate of knots now though and with quite a few talented young players, they could surprise one or two next season. Just praying we're not won of them as I don't think they've ever beaten us.