The 6 Nations & RWC 2023 Thread

Comrade 86

With RWC 2023 later this year, the 6 Nations comes around with some added spice this year. Now in the post-Eddie Jones era, can England prosper under newly appointed Steve Borthwick? Can the Irish take their Autumn Series form into the 6N and beyond to France? Will the French prove they are the strongest squad out there? Are the Scots doomed to be the nearly men and can Wales find any form at all? Chuck in the Wallabies looking to surge back under, yep, you guessed it, the irrepressible Eddie J and the All Blacks, desperate to re-establish their former dominance, this could be a belter of a year for egg-chaser fans.

Yours truly's long-range guesses:

6 Nations - Ireland

RWC - France

Best of luck to all!

I'm looking forward to it. 6 nations ???????matches all in diary, tables to be booked at my local for each game, except Eng / Italy which I'm going to.  

As for the RWC, seriously thinking of going for a long weekend in the fans zone as couldn't get tickets. Meeting Australia / Eddie in the quarters has to be in the stars. 

3 hours ago, BucksRam said:

I'm looking forward to it. 6 nations ???????matches all in diary, tables to be booked at my local for each game, except Eng / Italy which I'm going to.  

As for the RWC, seriously thinking of going for a long weekend in the fans zone as couldn't get tickets. Meeting Australia / Eddie in the quarters has to be in the stars. 

Done the Italy away leg and it's wonderful. Typically a sunny Spring day and perfect rugby conditions, then the whole of Rome to explore afterwards. And don't even get me started on the food... 

#notjealousatall:/

3 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I think the Calcutta cup may be moving back over the border after 4 years. 

From a Scotland point of view, Wales and Italy at home are must wins. 

Can we give Ireland a game at Murrayfield. 

England and France away are 2 losses. 

I'd wager you win both of those. TBH, I've no idea what to expect from my lot this year, though it hopefully can't be worse than the last. Please, pretty please, with bells on!

15 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Done the Italy away leg and it's wonderful. Typically a sunny Spring day and perfect rugby conditions, then the whole of Rome to explore afterwards. And don't even get me started on the food... 

#notjealousatall:/

Mate of mine has done the Italy away game, along with the French one.  And each time he took his wife instead of me. What's that all about?!  

15 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'd wager you win both of those. TBH, I've no idea what to expect from my lot this year, though it hopefully can't be worse than the last. Please, pretty please, with bells on!

I'm hoping for great things, but quietly expecting to be disappointed.  Fingers and toes are crossed for a rejuvenated England side. Would like to see the likes of Radwan given a shot. 

On 16/01/2023 at 16:29, 86 Hair Islands said:

With RWC 2023 later this year, the 6 Nations comes around with some added spice this year. Now in the post-Eddie Jones era, can England prosper under newly appointed Steve Borthwick? Can the Irish take their Autumn Series form into the 6N and beyond to France? Will the French prove they are the strongest squad out there? Are the Scots doomed to be the nearly men and can Wales find any form at all? Chuck in the Wallabies looking to surge back under, yep, you guessed it, the irrepressible Eddie J and the All Blacks, desperate to re-establish their former dominance, this could be a belter of a year for egg-chaser fans.

Yours truly's long-range guesses:

6 Nations - Ireland

RWC - France

Best of luck to all!

That will do me!

Merci beaucoup

I didn't realise how lop sided the World cup draw is. 

NZ, France, Italy, SA, Ireland and Scotland on 1 side - top 4 sides in current rankings. 

Never a better chance for England, Aus, Wales to get to a final. 

Townsend named his squad today. No Darcy Graham or Rory Darge. Both big misses. 

Jamie Ritchie a deserved captain which hopefully let's Hogg concentrate on his own game. 

24 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

How are those WC seedings worked? Farcical.

On the 6N, I already dislike the shenanigans around the OF suspension and the manoeuvres of Borthwick to fiddle him into the England squad.

New era my big hairy sweaty crevice....?

What manoeuvres? Maybe also give Borthwick a chance before writing him off before a single game has been played. 

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What manoeuvres? Maybe also give Borthwick a chance before writing him off before a single game has been played. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/01/11/owen-farrell-ban-farcical-decision-has-thrown-steve-borthwick/

Was referring to this article. not a situation that Borthwick created, but he didn't take any principled stance, preferring to wait for a "clarification" from the RFU.

I have nothing against Borthwicks style,which although debated considerably over social media, I haven't witnessed. He had a free hit effectively for this 6N. So he had a chance to try something truly different.

41 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I have nothing against Borthwicks style,which although debated considerably over social media, I haven't witnessed. He had a free hit effectively for this 6N. So he had a chance to try something truly different.

Did he? Setting aside the musings of experts on social media, also well covered has been the fact that Borthwick is only permitted to make 5 changes from the England Performance Squad from the autumn. 'Free hits' and 'chances to try something truly different' are opinions at odds with the facts. On the contrary, I'd say he's on a hiding to nothing unless by some miracle, we suddenly become world beaters overnight.

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Did he? Setting aside the musings of experts on social media, also well covered has been the fact that Borthwick is only permitted to make 5 changes from the England Performance Squad from the autumn. 'Free hits' and 'chances to try something truly different' are opinions at odds with the facts. On the contrary, I'd say he's on a hiding to nothing unless by some miracle, we suddenly become world beaters overnight.

The 45 player squad?

Clubs were prepared to relax that 5 changes  deal had the RFU requested them. Did they?

All the reports I've seen mention 3 dropped from a 30 something squad for Scotland.may, Nowell and billy v. And 5 new caps. And a bunch of recalls. No confirmation of which names were already in the 45 autumn squad so whether or not a request for changes beyond the old agreement was even made or contemplated is not clear.

Borthwick himself has not been shy in coming forward to say why his selection is "exciting". With OF as captain. so we'll see.

6 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The 45 player squad?

Clubs were prepared to relax that 5 changes  deal had the RFU requested them. Did they?

All the reports I've seen mention 3 dropped from a 30 something squad for Scotland.may, Nowell and billy v. And 5 new caps. And a bunch of recalls. No confirmation of which names were already in the 45 autumn squad so whether or not a request for changes beyond the old agreement was even made or contemplated is not clear.

Borthwick himself has not been shy in coming forward to say why his selection is "exciting". With OF as captain. so we'll see.

Wow, you're dying to see the man fail, aren't you! I think more balanced supporters may be willing to give Borthwick some time, especially given he's had literally no time at all as yet to put his stamp on things.

Ignoring unsubstantiated tittle tattle, here's some facts about the style (and product thereof) you've stated yourself you've not witnessed; he took a poor Leicester side to the Premiership title in only his second season at the reins, securing 20 wins from 24 games with a +274 points difference. Not only did they finish 7 points clear in the regular season, but they also won the Grand Final which, let's be honest, has not been a given since its inception and he achieved all of this securing the 4-try bonus point in 11 of 24 games played.

Now some might say that this should entitle him to some respect and a fair crack, others clearly not, but if you are expecting some magical transformation overnight, then good luck with that, because even Borthwick isn't that good. What he will try and do, is work tirelessly and quietly (unlike Eddie J) to get the same players who play well week in, week out in the Premiership, playing with the same flair, courage and ambition in the 6N and beyond. 

And yeah, Farrell ? Given how much he winds you up, just think what he's like to play against.

23 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Wow, you're dying to see the man fail, aren't you! I think more balanced supporters may be willing to give Borthwick some time, especially given he's had literally no time at all as yet to put his stamp on things.

Ignoring unsubstantiated tittle tattle, here's some facts about the style (and product thereof) you've stated yourself you've not witnessed; he took a poor Leicester side to the Premiership title in only his second season at the reins, securing 20 wins from 24 games with a +274 points difference. Not only did they finish 7 points clear in the regular season, but they also won the Grand Final which, let's be honest, has not been a given since its inception and he achieved all of this securing the 4-try bonus point in 11 of 24 games played.

Now some might say that this should entitle him to some respect and a fair crack, others clearly not, but if you are expecting some magical transformation overnight, then good luck with that, because even Borthwick isn't that good. What he will try and do, is work tirelessly and quietly (unlike Eddie J) to get the same players who play well week in, week out in the Premiership, playing with the same flair, courage and ambition in the 6N and beyond. 

And yeah, Farrell ? Given how much he winds you up, just think what he's like to play against.

No, I'm indifferent to Steve Borthwick the coach.

Sinfield is however very interesting and rightly hugely respected for the work he's done.

I am critical of the England rugby establishment which appears to be trying to emulate the FA model of commercial success for the top league at the expense of all else.

If the England coach is going to go about his business quietly then good luck to him. Lancaster did an did some good things,but was ultimately not a success.

He can't influence anything much for the 6N so why doesn't he do himself a favour, just get through it and save the quotes about his vision etc for afterwards?

50 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No, I'm indifferent to Steve Borthwick the coach.

Sinfield is however very interesting and rightly hugely respected for the work he's done.

I am critical of the England rugby establishment which appears to be trying to emulate the FA model of commercial success for the top league at the expense of all else.

If the England coach is going to go about his business quietly then good luck to him. Lancaster did an did some good things,but was ultimately not a success.

He can't influence anything much for the 6N so why doesn't he do himself a favour, just get through it and save the quotes about his vision etc for afterwards?

You're not really indifferent though are you? As you seem unaware, Sinfield was recruited by Borthwick at Leicester, so he's not interesting as you put it, he's already proven having helped guide them to the Premiership title last season. And as you place so much faith in quotes, he cites Borthwick as the best he's worked with throughout his entire career, as a player and coach.

As for the silly 'save the quotes' line, Borthwick has done nothing but answer the questions posed to him by the press. He's in the highest profile coaching job in the game, so playing the trappist monk is not really going to wash. I'll leave it there as you've already made your mind up based on the flimsiest of excuses, so this is a pretty pointless debate.