The 6 Nations & RWC 2023 Thread

Comrade 86

A terrific game. Scotland showed immense heart and no small amount of skill too, but these Irish lads are so well drilled and so skilled that I never really thought they were in trouble. I hope the English lads were watching. That's what trying to compete with the best looks like and I think the Scots can hold their heads high. Let's hope after yesterday's abject and callow performance, we can say the same about our lads next week.

How good were ireland 2nd half? 

They are brilliant at the clearout, we couldn't get a hand on the ball at the breakdown. 

The world cup might be Hoggs swansong because he's the shadow of his former self. 

Win v Italy and it should be 3rd place. 

19 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The Ruck website reporting "leaked" news that Marcus Smith is dropped for the Ireland match with the midfield trio being Farrell tuilagi and Slade.

Whether true or not is awaited. The same article states that the only other change is Ribbans in for the injured Chessum.

I'm struggling to understand what the plan is to be honest, but it is what it is I guess, so just hoping we show a bit more than last time out. A lot of these players need to take a long hard look at themselves as they are not nearly as good as they seem to believe. The one change that you've not mentioned is that young Henry Arundell starts. Small mercies, but a tough baptism you'd think. 

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'm struggling to understand what the plan is to be honest, but it is what it is I guess, so just hoping we show a bit more than last time out. A lot of these players need to take a long hard look at themselves as they are not nearly as good as they seem to believe. The one change that you've not mentioned is that young Henry Arundell starts. Small mercies, but a tough baptism you'd think. 

In the last couple of interviews I've seen, Steve Borthwick has sounded somewhat platitudinous.

He has had restrictions true. But there really isn't a coherent style emerging as yet.

The 6N should have been a free hit given by the RFU. 4 games in and the boos rang round Twickenham and we see the same faces retreading.

I'm thinking Ireland by 40.

So super Saturday over with the expected 3 home wins.

Scotland made somewhat heavy going of Italy. Wales and England game to have a go, but not particularly close to the opposition.

Ireland didn't look that impressive but that was possibly down to the occasion.

Jack Piper, or is it Yakko Paper very harsh with the cards. Distinctly heard him say "high level of force" whilst dissecting the Steward incident. How does that work when the Irish bloke just charged into him head first as he stood still?

There's some footage around of Ryan charging into a ruck head first and catching an English player's head. Right in front of Piper. not even a word.

Cracking last day, least I thought so! The Italians went out fighting, which you love to see. It's hard to believe that they've not won a game this year, but they have been great to watch at times. Scored the best try of the tournament too. Scotland have improved and are rightly ranked above England now. They've played some wonderful, instinctive rugby and have troubled everyone they've met and are playing at a high level consistently now, rather than in snatches. 

Wales actually passed the ball for the first time in the Championship and lo and behold, they can still score tries. That said, France still put them away without really stretching themselves. If the form the French are showing now had been evident in their first couple of games, I think it'd likely have been them lifting the trophy, but the French will always be a little mercurial. Welsh fans will take the 'green shoots' and hope to see further evidence in France.

As it stands, it's Ireland who are the most consistent and well drilled team on the planet and they run out worthy winners. They have taken the breakdown to a new level and the speed at which they recycle possession is something to behold. They're a together group of lads and it shows in every aspect of their game. I watched them carefully in the key areas yesterday and a calmer exhibition of ferocity, you'd be stretched you name. Playing against them must be a grim and remorseless exercise.

As for England, they were unrecognisable from the collective capitulation of the game against France and much to their credit, were still in the mix when Jaco the Whacko got involved. Even when down to 13, they continued to put in huge defensive sets and never made it easy. We were improved in the set piece and even put points on the #1 ranked team in the world with less men on the field, which clearly irritated Peyper who barely stopped short of telling Farrell to f*** off. That did make me laugh, I have to admit! I also felt a few distinct rumblings of pride at times in the game, for the first time this season. Much work to do, of course, especially at the breakdown, but a deal of fire in the performance and that's what I most wanted to see. Something to work on at last...

A huge test now for Borthwick, but perhaps that hammering at the hands of France has actually helped his cause? Irrespective, improvement will be demanded for RWC23, which by the way, the French will win!