The 6 Nations & RWC 2023 Thread

Comrade 86

24 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

There's a possibility I may be able to blag a corporate ticket to the principality so here's hoping.

I noted on the Ruck website that Henry Slade has over 50 caps! I must have not been concentrating.

Between England Wales and Italy for the wooden spoon. Italy currently must be favourites to get it, again.

Fingers crossed you land that ticket. I wind up my Welsh mates all the time, but they're good lads and give as good as they get. The Principality is the best stadium in the world to watch a game IMO, though it has got a little hostile in recent years, which is a shame. The atmosphere with the roof closed especially, is electric. They'll be up for this game in no uncertain terms and I expect the opening 15 minutes to be absolutely brutal. 

Point to note - Don't mention England and kitchen implements please! I'll ask the mods to ban you if you do it again ?

My daily egg-chasing whine - from the BBC site:

Sale centre Manu Tuilagi has been hit with a four-game ban for foul play in Saturday's loss to Northampton but could still be available for England's final Six Nations game against Ireland.

Tuilagi, 31, was given the suspension for an elbow to the head of Saints' Tommy Freeman at a citing hearing.

The ban will be cut to three games if he attends a World Rugby coaching workshop to improve tackle technique.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

My daily egg-chasing whine - from the BBC site:

Sale centre Manu Tuilagi has been hit with a four-game ban for foul play in Saturday's loss to Northampton but could still be available for England's final Six Nations game against Ireland.

Tuilagi, 31, was given the suspension for an elbow to the head of Saints' Tommy Freeman at a citing hearing.

The ban will be cut to three games if he attends a World Rugby coaching workshop to improve tackle technique.

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

He's been to the Owen Farrell school of tackling. If Borthwick promises he'll play he'll probably go and accept being told he's a naughty boy, if not, he'll just sit it out - I don't think you'll ever change who Tuilagi is sadly.  A player I always liked for his impact potential, but one who I think has never quite realised his potential either through injury or discipline. 

43 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

He's been to the Owen Farrell school of tackling. If Borthwick promises he'll play he'll probably go and accept being told he's a naughty boy, if not, he'll just sit it out - I don't think you'll ever change who Tuilagi is sadly.  A player I always liked for his impact potential, but one who I think has never quite realised his potential either through injury or discipline. 

That said though, why offer him tackle school when actually, just thinking about it, he wasn't tackling but running with the ball.  If anyone needs to go to tackle school, it's Freeman - leading with the throat is asking for trouble. 

55 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

That said though, why offer him tackle school when actually, just thinking about it, he wasn't tackling but running with the ball.  If anyone needs to go to tackle school, it's Freeman - leading with the throat is asking for trouble. 

Yep, that was the point I was making really. More absolute idiocy from the RFU. 

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Team announcement tomorrow. Game in Cardiff is on after player strike averted.

My possible ticket hasnt come off. Not to worry, the wingback armchair will be buffed and ready ?

Good news on the game going ahead, though shame you've not managed to grab that ticket. TV coverage is pretty good though in truth, so a decent bottle and a comfy wingback not a bad fallback. 

Glad to see the game's on, not least we have a table booked in the restaurant side of our local pub so not only get to watch the game on a nice big TV without any bobbing heads in the way, we can then scrum down on a Thai meal right after the game without moving from our seats. Another Singha Sir? oh go on then.  

5 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Glad to see the game's on, not least we have a table booked in the restaurant side of our local pub so not only get to watch the game on a nice big TV without any bobbing heads in the way, we can then scrum down on a Thai meal right after the game without moving from our seats. Another Singha Sir? oh go on then.  

Good call! Not sure I could do the pub / restaurant what with me screaming 'he's off his feet ref' every two minutes. Be a bit embarrassing for the GF ?

Bit nervous about this one as even when they're not playing well, the Welsh always turn up for England, especially at their place. I think it'll be a tight game, with me shouting a lot and getting plenty of eye-rolls from my better half.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Good call! Not sure I could do the pub / restaurant what with me screaming 'he's off his feet ref' every two minutes. Be a bit embarrassing for the GF ?

Bit nervous about this one as even when they're not playing well, the Welsh always turn up for England, especially at their place. I think it'll be a tight game, with me shouting a lot and getting plenty of eye-rolls from my better half.

Couldn't agree more - if it weren't for Italy I have a horrible feeling we'd be holding the wooden spoon this time round.  Like you say, Wales are always up for it against us....but then so are Scotland, Ireland........I'm very much hoping for an inspired performance which will make my red thai curry taste all the sweeter. 

Anthony Watson!! I didn't see that coming! Electric at his best but can't say I've seen too much of him recently what with his injuries. As predicted, Malins retains his position, so Arundel and Murphy will have to wait a little longer for starts.

Courtney, as predicted, will come off the bench, as he eases back from injury and Borthwick has stuck with the back row of Lewis Ludlam, Jack Willis and Alex Dombrandt. Itoje and Chessum are at 4 and 5 while JVP and Farrell retain their positions. The front row is also as was with the Baby Rhino and Kyle I'm Vey Angry Sinckler either side of Jamie George.

England: Steward; Malins, Slade, Lawrence, Watson; Farrell (capt), Van Poortvliet; Genge, George, Sinckler; Itoje, Chessum; Ludlam, Willis, Dombrandt.

Replacements: Walker, M Vunipola, Cole, Lawes, B Curry, Mitchell, M Smith, Arundell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64742769

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

England U21's give Wales a proper going over down in Colwyn Bay. Hopefully a portent for more of the same tomorrow. A lot of good performances from a very fluid and attacking English side but the outstanding player for me was the uncapped Tristan Woodman. Murderous in the tackle, covered the entire park and won an astounding 5 turnovers. A born jackal who was a thorn is Welsh sides all night. 

Two tough games against France and Ireland left for England who are now 3 from 3, with the Welsh still  to register a win in the tournament. Fingers crossed for a big performance from the seniors tomorrow to cap off a decent 6N weekend's work.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

England U21's give Wales a proper going over down in Colwyn Bay. Hopefully a portent for more of the same tomorrow. A lot of good performances from a very fluid and attacking English side but the outstanding player for me was the uncapped Tristan Woodman. Murderous in the tackle, covered the entire park and won an astounding 5 turnovers. A born jackal who was a thorn is Welsh sides all night. 

Two tough games against France and Ireland left for England who are now 3 from 3, with the Welsh still  to register a win in the tournament. Fingers crossed for a big performance from the seniors tomorrow to cap off a decent 6N weekend's work.

My head says that England have had 2 weeks to build on the Italy performance and should win, but Wales might be galvanised by the events this week. 

Get a start like Ireland did and Wales could crumble. The longer Wales stay in touch the more confidence they get. 

Its weird, there's actually more pressure on England to win today after the week Wales have had. 

Must admit, I didn't realise how much of a mess Wales rugby was in, if you have some spare time listen to this weeks 6 nations podcasts on bbc sounds. 

Enjoy the game, should be a cracker. 

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

My head says that England have had 2 weeks to build on the Italy performance and should win, but Wales might be galvanised by the events this week. 

Get a start like Ireland did and Wales could crumble. The longer Wales stay in touch the more confidence they get. 

Its weird, there's actually more pressure on England to win today after the week Wales have had. 

Must admit, I didn't realise how much of a mess Wales rugby was in, if you have some spare time listen to this weeks 6 nations podcasts on bbc sounds. 

Enjoy the game, should be a cracker. 

Cheers buddy. Will try to enjoy it but I do tend to get a bit tense watching England play. Much more so than when I'm watching footy. 

Agree with your assessment. Honestly, I expect us to win, but better England sides than this have gone to the Principality and been dismantled, so it's never a game I take for granted. 

As for Wales rugby, it's a terrible mess. I'm not going to rant on again but I do think that it's time to tear it all down and re-build from solid foundations. I'd pretty much same the same about England though for slightly different reasons. 

Enjoy the games yourself in any case. Tough one for your lads tomorrow as I'd expect a reaction from the last game, especially in front of the typically partisan Paris masses. Suspect the opening 15 will be absolutely brutal, but weather the storm and you never know. I fear for Italy today; suspect they are in for a royal tonking from the Irish ?

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Cheers buddy. Will try to enjoy it but I do tend to get a bit tense watching England play. Much more so than when I'm watching footy. 

Agree with your assessment. Honestly, I expect us to win, but better England sides than this have gone to the Principality and been dismantled, so it's never a game I take for granted. 

As for Wales rugby, it's a terrible mess. I'm not going to rant on again but I do think that it's time to tear it all down and re-build from solid foundations. I'd pretty much same the same about England though for slightly different reasons. 

Enjoy the games yourself in any case. Tough one for your lads tomorrow as I'd expect a reaction from the last game, especially in front of the typically partisan Paris masses. Suspect the opening 15 will be absolutely brutal, but weather the storm and you never know. I fear for Italy today; suspect they are in for a royal tonking from the Irish ?

I'm the same, can't fully enjoy watching my national side. 

Italy giving Ireland a decent game. 

As for tomorrow, we will probably give it a good go but France are a step up that I don't think we will conquer. 

Poor. Yes we've won in Wales, but I take zero comfort from that performance, bar our defensive set up which has improved markedly over the 3 games to date. Sinfield has quickly remodelled and we looked very strong today in that regard. That said, Wales offered next to nothing in attack and were absolutely there for the taking today. I literally lost count of how many really good offensive positions we either spurned or butchered. This was as grim a game as I've seen in a long while. 

My weekly gripes list...

JVP has to go - he's been given a run of games now and has been weighed, measured and found wanting. He offers nothing going forward and his box kicking is aimless and simply turns over possession. Honestly, if I see another 9 who can't pass without taking 1 or 2 steps first, I'm going to scream. Mitchell, Randall and Quirke all in a different league to my eye. We looked a different side the moment Mitchell stepped on the pitch, firing away bullets straight off the floor. As per the last game, we scored within minutes of him stepping on the field and looked a different side offensively.

Tactical kicking - my arse! How many overlaps are we going to squander with pointless kicking from hand. The last one from Slade when we had a 3 on two and 20 yards width to work with had me literally screaming at the telly.

The 10 slot - Farrell is a warrior, but his machine like accuracy off the tee has vanished and while he offers plenty in defence, as we saw today, he offers very little with ball in hand. Never thought I'd say it but his leadership qualities alone no longer justify him playing the full 80 every game. If we are to use a crash-ball 12, then we need a 10 who can buy us space and has the timing and slight of hand to give Lawrence the chance to break the gain line. By all means start with Farrell, but please, give Smith some meaningful game time. 

For me there remain far too many players living on their reputations, rather than their performances. And whilst I have nothing but respect for Cole and Maku, if they are the answer, what the hell is the question? Willis, Chessum and Ludlam are papering over the cracks for us right now and outside the set piece, Itoje seems a shadow of himself. 

A last moan would be the three subs with 40 seconds on the clock - WTAF is that about? We have a really strong bench but seem loathed to use it. If the likes of Smith, Arundel and Murphy are not going to be trusted against tiring legs, pick players who will be. 

Right, a de-stress Guinness or 6 required! Apologies for the rant ?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Poor. Yes we've won in Wales, but I take zero comfort from that performance, bar our defensive set up which has improved markedly over the 3 games to date. Sinfield has quickly remodelled and we looked very strong today in that regard. That said, Wales offered next to nothing in attack and were absolutely there for the taking today. I literally lost count of how many really good offensive positions we either spurned or butchered. This was as grim a game as I've seen in a long while. 

My weekly gripes list...

JVP has to go - he's been given a run of games now and has been weighed, measured and found wanting. He offers nothing going forward and his box kicking is aimless and simply turns over possession. Honestly, if I see another 9 who can't pass without taking 1 or 2 steps first, I'm going to scream. Mitchell, Randall and Quirke all in a different league to my eye. We looked a different side the moment Mitchell stepped on the pitch, firing away bullets straight off the floor. As per the last game, we scored within minutes of him stepping on the field and looked a different side offensively.

Tactical kicking - my arse! How many overlaps are we going to squander with pointless kicking from hand. The last one from Slade when we had a 3 on two and 20 yards width to work with had me literally screaming at the telly.

The 10 slot - Farrell is a warrior, but his machine like accuracy off the tee has vanished and while he offers plenty in defence, as we saw today, he offers very little with ball in hand. Never thought I'd say it but his leadership qualities alone no longer justify him playing the full 80 every game. If we are to use a crash-ball 12, then we need a 10 who can buy us space and has the timing and slight of hand to give Lawrence the chance to break the gain line. By all means start with Farrell, but please, give Smith some meaningful game time. 

For me there remain far too many players living on their reputations, rather than their performances. And whilst I have nothing but respect for Cole and Maku, if they are the answer, what the hell is the question? Willis, Chessum and Ludlam are papering over the cracks for us right now and outside the set piece, Itoje seems a shadow of himself. 

A last moan would be the three subs with 40 seconds on the clock - WTAF is that about? We have a really strong bench but seem loathed to use it. If the likes of Smith, Arundel and Murphy are not going to be trusted against tiring legs, pick players who will be. 

Right, a de-stress Guinness or 6 required! Apologies for the rant ?

? take the win, I did the 6 Guinness watching it. 

England killed Wales at the breakdown and should have been out of site in the 1st half. 

Both teams did far too many box kicks, it's was like watching Ireland from 3 years ago. (it's boring) 

Wales looked clueless, kicking to Steward time after time ?

The building blocks are there for you to mount a decent challenge at the world cup. 

I honestly think you'll give France and Ireland a good game.