Return of the away singing block

therams69

On 01/01/2023 at 18:38, LeedsCityRam said:

This is good news. Atmosphere seems to be a particular issue when we're taking more than 2k (Liverpool being the exception) & thought we were really ordinary at Bolton. Real mix of fans where I was sat in lower tier (elderly, families & lads who had clearly been on the pop all day) & songs were dying out quite quickly. I'm hopeful it will also encourage those who havent enjoyed sitting alongside Stone Island types, that they can avoid them at away games.

Songwise, yes its about time we retired the Collymore song...he's a nobody now & must be thrilled we still give him any attention. I do like 'Spirit in the Sky' although still not made it out of top left of South Stand...we are capable of originality but need like minded fans stood together to spread the gospel.

It'd also be great to never ever hear Dale Cavese again & that's my only concern with Club84 (having read their previous manifestos). I don't mind the concept of tifo displays but needs to be very careful to avoid the absolute cringefest that is Crystal Palace's 'Holmesdale End' or Middlesbrough's laughable 'ultras'. These tinpot clubs need that cribbed Euro-ultra songbook as they've got minimal history & weak support. We should be looking at how Man Utd, Liverpool etc have such great away support...original songs well communicated by fan groups, banners that reflect English football culture/humour & a well pitched sense of their history & who they are.

Definitely agree with all of this. We’re a historic club with our own unique culture and traditions. It shouldn’t be hard to draw inspiration from our own back-catalogue rather than going down a watered-down European “ultra” style route. The tin-pot renditions of “X place is a s*******…” and “Is this a library” really irk me as well. 

I’m based in Manchester these days and regularly go and watch FC United with my red-inclined mates (when I’m not at Derby, of course). The atmosphere is always brilliant, the song-book never ending and original (drawing massively from United fan-culture of years gone by) with the whole ground making a right racket when it gets going. No tifo’s, drums or artificially created “atmosphere”, but an incredible array of flags, banners, scarves and an old-school attitude when it comes to supporting the team. 

Over the years the atmosphere and numbers both at Pride Park and away from home have improved significantly, no reason why we can’t build on this in our own way, whilst bringing back some of the classics.

”Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly, have you heard of the North Bank, Highbury?” , anyone…?

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

The Great Escape chant with no lyrics is a great one if done continuously and repeatedly and peppered with “Derby!” at the appropriate moment. It should be our mantra like it almost became last season - save for 21points - I see this season as the great escape from League 1. The repeated and continuous song becomes a mesmerising and lifting experience especially if it has a background rhythm and beat {almost like Samba drumming} and I believe it serves to help players rise and lift the tempo of the players. Think about the psychology of music and how that affects behaviour- it can energise, transmit energy and raise spirits. The barrage of noise can have the opposite affect on the opposing team and can dampen them and raise their anxiety level. 

it just needs leadership, organisation and planning. It seemed to occur organically at Port Vale the other night so can be achieved and yes many Port Vale fans separately said biggest noise by away fans for years. Blackpool away last year was likewise a huge atmosphere.

So establish the principles and repeat them. Very notable that Man Ure and Scousers have leaders amongst the crowd who “orchestrate” and “conduct”. 

We did that one against hull city of 2nd leg and I agree time to bring it back.

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Good to hear the 'we fight to the end' chant again. I remember how that almost brought me to tears last season.

Nice to be able to use it when we are just talking about fighting back at the end of a game, rather than nearly going out of existence. Agreed though, was stupidly emotional last season and it still was slightly when bringing back those memories.