SPL teams and their English equivalents

Jimbo Ram

As a lover of Scottish football I really enjoyed Celtic's narrow win over Dundee United yesterday. Got me thinking of how you might compare SPL clubs with teams in England. Here are my equivalents:

Celtic-Norwich City

Rangers-Sheff Utd

Hearts-Portsmouth

Aberdeen-Sheff Wednesday

Motherwell-Northampton Town

St Mirren-Notts County

Livingston-Wrexham

Hibs-Charlton

Kilmarnock-Tranmere Rovers

St Johnstone-York City

Ross County-Oldham Athletic

Dundee United-Bradford City

Thoughts???? Have a go yourself......

Rangers = Torquay United.

Edit: more serious answer: Rangers & Celtic are probably Championship level now. With the extra exposure they'd get playing in England, I'd expect them to be challenging for promotion to the Premier. Once there, with even more exposure and their gates, they'd settle somewhere in the middle.

Edited by IslandExile

Celtic-Saints

Rangers-Fulham

Hearts-Boro

Aberdeen-Bristol City

Motherwell- Rotherham

St Mirren-Port Vale

Livingston-Plymouth

Hibs-Bristol Rovers

Kilmarnock-Carlisle 

St Johnstone-Exeter City

Ross County-Newport County

Dundee United-Barnsley 

Fun fact-i know a player who turned down Hibs once and stayed at his league 1 club as they were a step down in terms of facilities and paid less in salaries 

Here's my attempt with some rationale. 

Rangers - Chelsea.  Both sets of fans have similar values. Union Flags galore, a political way of thinking. 

Celtic - Liverpool. Tend to play attacking football and both fans like a political sing song. 

Hearts - Villa. Both like a season in a lower division every so often. 

Hibs - Spurs. For all their attacking "philosophy" they don't win anything. 

Aberdeen - Arsenal. Never been relegated

Livingston - Bournemouth. Get back to a lower division with your rubbish crowds and stadiums 

Dundee utd  - Forest. European pedigree. Clough and McLean, 2 peas in a pod.

Killie - Newcastle. Stripes obviously, and both managers seem to like their reflection in a mirror

Ross County - Brighton. Extreme North  & South of the country. An away trip between these 2 would take ages....

Motherwell - Leeds. Both hammer throwers. Risdale and Boyle went to the same business school in the 90's. 

St Johnstone - Leicester. 1 City teams, Collecting trophies against the odds and becoming very thrifty in recent times. 

St Mirren - Palace. South London, South Glasgow. You require trainers to run round the athletics stadium and require trainers to run away from the locals in Paisley. 

Derby's equivalent? Must be Falkirk. Languishing 2 leagues below where they want to be, good supporter base, full of potential but have flattered to deceive for 2 decades. 

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

No way does a Championship side reach the Europa League final.

Rangers and Celtic are both PL quality.  

But the rest of the league is lower League One or League Two standard.

But they are SPL sides with SPL revenue, no way can they compete with prem clubs…..

Rangers - Derby

They've got Tom Lawrence scoring the occasional good goal, big crowds and have recently recovered from financial armageddon.

Their SPL recent haul is probably equivalent to our Brian Clough trophy - only two teams compete for that as well ?

7 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Because they have better players

Really ? How come no prem teams were in for Tom Lawrence? A case in point. He had the choice of Sheff Utd or Rangers. Rangers compete with Championship teams for players, can’t compete with prem teams on the budget they have. Like most things, all down to money ?