Any pro carpet fitters out there?...

Mucker1884

Just after some pro tips, if I may, for fitting stair carpet (full width, not central runner) with underlay.

Would the gripper sticks need to go across the stair width only (Rear of tread + Bottom of riser) or are they also needed at each side of each tread?
Also, do you cut the carpet slightly too wide, and roll over the edges each side before tucking it all in behind the grippers, or simply cut bang on to stair width dims?

For reference, we have bull nose stair treads, but looking to fit waterfall stylee, not Hollywood stylee.
Also have a corner near both top and bottom (3 stairs to each 90 degree corner, so not 45 degree angles... assume 30 degree angles.

Any comments, tips, hints, dos and don'ts etc very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just after some pro tips, if I may, for fitting stair carpet (full width, not central runner) with underlay.

Would the gripper sticks need to go across the stair width only (Rear of tread + Bottom of riser) or are they also needed at each side of each tread?
Also, do you cut the carpet slightly too wide, and roll over the edges each side before tucking it all in behind the grippers, or simply cut bang on to stair width dims?

For reference, we have bull nose stair treads, but looking to fit waterfall stylee, not Hollywood stylee.
Also have a corner near both top and bottom (3 stairs to each 90 degree corner, so not 45 degree angles... assume 30 degree angles.

Any comments, tips, hints, dos and don'ts etc very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My advice is this.

If you want a quiet life, and the missus likes to moan, pay a professional. Then you can rest easy, you might not hear the last of it.

For what it’s worth though, I’ve never seen gripper on the tread along the stringer if you know what I mean.  As for the curved bit, they use carpet nails and work it around the curve tucking and nailing.  It’s a fine art.

If it’s done wrong you’ll not hear the last of it and it’ll bug the hell out of you for years.

38 minutes ago, Boycie said:

My advice is this.

If you want a quiet life, and the missus likes to moan, pay a professional. Then you can rest easy, you might not hear the last of it.

For what it’s worth though, I’ve never seen gripper on the tread along the stringer if you know what I mean.  As for the curved bit, they use carpet nails and work it around the curve tucking and nailing.  It’s a fine art.

If it’s done wrong you’ll not hear the last of it and it’ll bug the hell out of you for years.

Thanks, but it's time for a confession...

Not looking for tips to fit myself... it was fitted on Friday.  I'm so sorry I lied, but I didn't want to give the game away this early in the thread.

I'm actually looking to arm myself with facts and/or pro opinions etc... before I speak to the store manager tomorrow.  We're not as happy with it (the standard of fitting) as we initially thought when the fitters left.
We're all paid up, so need as much ammo as possible!

Our previous carpet... which lasted well over a decade, (maybe 12/13 years?) and has only been replaced due to change of colour scheme, was superbly fitted, with gripper sticks to the ends, plus rolled edges.  All very tight and snug.
You couldn't stab your finger in and pull the carpet out anywhere.

This one, you can!  Pretty much anywhere you want!  ?

There are other niggles, that I intend to physically show to the manager.  I don't particularly need any pro-back-up with those, as it's clearly shoddy workmanship (imo).

... Add in a very small landing, about 2.5m long x similar width to the stairs, and it took them 5.5 hours... after advising at the start that it should take "About an hour and a half, maybe two".  (I only asked as I needed to go to cash point to settle up the balance upon completion, as they couldn't take card payment).
This is certainly not a problem in itself, (the time it took them) but due to the lack of noise/activity at the start, we got the impression they were sat on the landing scratching their heads, wondering how to do it!  That landing took over 2 hours alone!  (We weren't physically watching over them, very much "leaving them to it", and only interrupting them to pass them another cuppa!).

Perfectly polite/professional manner, but just like coppers of today, they were both 12!  ?
They certainly didn't have "years of experience behind them"... which again isn't a specific problem in itself, of course... we all have to start somewhere.

As a Contracts Manager myself, (construction industry... industrial/commercial steel frame buildings, cladding/roofing), I already know how I would like the conversation (with the store manager) to go, and what I'm hoping his/her response and/or attitude to be, but then I appreciate we don't all work to the same standards, and some are not so fussy as others, when looking to ensure a satisfied customer... particularly when the bill is already paid!

Hence the plea for tips/advice, to at least make it look like I know what I'm talking about.

So far, as evidenced in my OP, I have armed myself with the terms "Waterfall" and "Hollywood"!  ("Bull Nose" I was already aware of!  ?

?

EDIT:

And now... I've added "Stringer" to my bow!  So thanks for that, too.

Hopefully I'll look more Eddie Expert than Billy Bullship before I make the call tomorrow!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

The cash payment given to the fitters when you purchase a carpet is normally the fitters to keep as they’re self employed.  Hopefully the shop will help you, but in theory they will ask the guys to come back, you probably won’t want that, or they’ll send someone else.  The shop will have to pay another fitter, the worst case is if the carpet can’t be rectified and the shop will have to supply a new piece and pay another fitter.

Hopefully it can be taken up and refitted again, but it sounds like they’ve not stretched the carpet over the grippers and that’s resulted in the loose fit.  I’m sure they’ll sort you out, was it a largish outlet?

Edited by Boycie

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Thanks, but it's time for a confession...

Not looking for tips to fit myself... it was fitted on Friday.  I'm so sorry I lied, but I didn't want to give the game away this early in the thread.

I'm actually looking to arm myself with facts and/or pro opinions etc... before I speak to the store manager tomorrow.  We're not as happy with it (the standard of fitting) as we initially thought when the fitters left.
We're all paid up, so need as much ammo as possible!

Our previous carpet... which lasted well over a decade, (maybe 12/13 years?) and has only been replaced due to change of colour scheme, was superbly fitted, with gripper sticks to the ends, plus rolled edges.  All very tight and snug.
You couldn't stab your finger in and pull the carpet out anywhere.

This one, you can!  Pretty much anywhere you want!  ?

There are other niggles, that I intend to physically show to the manager.  I don't particularly need any pro-back-up with those, as it's clearly shoddy workmanship (imo).

... Add in a very small landing, about 2.5m long x similar width to the stairs, and it took them 5.5 hours... after advising at the start that it should take "About an hour and a half, maybe two".  (I only asked as I needed to go to cash point to settle up the balance upon completion, as they couldn't take card payment).
This is certainly not a problem in itself, (the time it took them) but due to the lack of noise/activity at the start, we got the impression they were sat on the landing scratching their heads, wondering how to do it!  That landing took over 2 hours alone!  (We weren't physically watching over them, very much "leaving them to it", and only interrupting them to pass them another cuppa!).

Perfectly polite/professional manner, but just like coppers of today, they were both 12!  ?
They certainly didn't have "years of experience behind them"... which again isn't a specific problem in itself, of course... we all have to start somewhere.

As a Contracts Manager myself, (construction industry... industrial/commercial steel frame buildings, cladding/roofing), I already know how I would like the conversation (with the store manager) to go, and what I'm hoping his/her response and/or attitude to be, but then I appreciate we don't all work to the same standards, and some are not so fussy as others, when looking to ensure a satisfied customer... particularly when the bill is already paid!

Hence the plea for tips/advice, to at least make it look like I know what I'm talking about.

So far, as evidenced in my OP, I have armed myself with the terms "Waterfall" and "Hollywood"!  ("Bull Nose" I was already aware of!  ?

?

EDIT:

And now... I've added "Stringer" to my bow!  So thanks for that, too.

Hopefully I'll look more Eddie Expert than Billy Bullship before I make the call tomorrow!  ?

5.5 hours sounds about right.

Grippers should be across the width (rear). They arent required on the sides. Underlay can be stapled/nailed or glued down. 

Carpet is to be cut to the width of the stairs, although trimming down after isn't an issue. It's to be laid from bottom of the stairs going up, and forced I to the crevasses as you go. Nails/staples should be used to ensure the carpet stays nice and tight. It'll almost certainly come away from the grippers without that additional securing method.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carpet is to be cut to the width of the stairs, although trimming down after isn't an issue. It's to be laid from bottom of the stairs going up, and forced in to the crevasses as you go. Nails/staples should be used to ensure the carpet stays nice and tight. It'll almost certainly come away from the grippers without that additional securing method.

image.png.5b3e5017f6e35b20a230800c526d83ad.png

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I’m sure they’ll sort you out, was it a largish outlet?

Hadn't googled them before yesterday, so had no idea.

I now know they appear to have branches nationwide.

Whether that's a franchise thing, or traditional branches of a nationwide company, I've no idea.

Will call them (or call in the shop) tomorrow, and see how things go from there.

If anything interesting* happens, I'll update on here.  ?

*It's carpets... not sure how interesting it can get!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2022 at 13:56, Mucker1884 said:

Hadn't googled them before yesterday, so had no idea.

I now know they appear to have branches nationwide.

Whether that's a franchise thing, or traditional branches of a nationwide company, I've no idea.

Will call them (or call in the shop) tomorrow, and see how things go from there.

If anything interesting* happens, I'll update on here.  ?

*It's carpets... not sure how interesting it can get!  ?

Presume from the lack of an update it wasn't very interesting. Or it got very interesting and you've been rolled up in one and thrown off a bridge.

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Presume from the lack of an update it wasn't very interesting. Or it got very interesting and you've been rolled up in one and thrown off a bridge.

?

Let's just say, it's still ongoing, and I still await the fitter to return to "put things right".  Manager has popped round, and agreed it needs little tweaks.

They're all talking the talk, but yet to see them walking the walk.  For the record, I'm a patient guy, who see's good in everyone (Read "gullible"? ?‍♂️).

But yes you're right... not particularly interesting!  ?

22 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

?

Let's just say, it's still ongoing, and I still await the fitter to return to "put things right".  Manager has popped round, and agreed it needs little tweaks.

They're all talking the talk, but yet to see them walking the walk.  For the record, I'm a patient guy, who see's good in everyone (Read "gullible"? ?‍♂️).

But yes you're right... not particularly interesting!  ?

It's not the fella from Tijuana is it, I had him fit mine and he had to come back to fit the Underlay...Underlay I said.

I'll get me carpet grippers ?

49 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

It's not the fella from Tijuana is it, I had him fit mine and he had to come back to fit the Underlay...Underlay I said.

I'll get me carpet grippers ?

Jeez!  ? 
With jokes like that, it's time for me to say Tatami* owd mate!

If anyone else posts 60+ year old jokes on here, I swear I will Kilim!*

*The above carpet-related puns were brought to you in association with relatedwords.org.  

??

4 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

I'm just left wondering, what is a professional carpet, and how does it differ from the bog-standard carpet you or I could buy from the high street chains?

The bog standard carpet gets laid once, then forgotten about.
The professional carpet... or "Pro", informally...  gets repeatedly laid, regularly and often.

#wonder no more ??

Edited by Mucker1884
I went and added one of those ash-tag-lines, so more people get to see my post. Clever, huh!