The Oldies "I remember when" thread

Elwood P Dowd

This is really old:

Dept store in my youth had this "pay by wire" system, way ahead of its time.

You paid real money over the counter. The assistant put it in this canister and hooked it to a wire. Pulled a cord and it disappeared across the shop to a central cashier. Some time later the wire would jiggle a bit and the cannister came flying back with your change! 

As a nipper it fascinated me and I never did figure out how it worked. Maybe even then I was showing the traits that made me become an engineer.

27 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Eagerly opening a new box of cereal (corn flakes?) to get to the plastic submarine. If you put baking soda in them they were supposed to rise to the surface - mine turned onto their side then sank without trace.

Ah...a U boat then?

28 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

This is really old:

Dept store in my youth had this "pay by wire" system, way ahead of its time.

You paid real money over the counter. The assistant put it in this canister and hooked it to a wire. Pulled a cord and it disappeared across the shop to a central cashier. Some time later the wire would jiggle a bit and the cannister came flying back with your change! 

As a nipper it fascinated me and I never did figure out how it worked. Maybe even then I was showing the traits that made me become an engineer.

Geriatram is the man who can tell you all about this, Not sure which department store it was on the East Street area of town, Money was put in a canister and shot through a very long tube, A minute later said tube was back with change and receipt.

This guy who was known as "the fiddler on the roof" made a few bob but was caught and served time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2780392/Thief-hides-Sainsbury-s-roof-collects-14-500-cash-pods-sent-tubes-register-cash-office.html

7 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Geriatram is the man who can tell you all about this, Not sure which department store it was on the East Street area of town, Money was put in a canister and shot through a very long tube, A minute later said tube was back with change and receipt.

This guy who was known as "the fiddler on the roof" made a few bob but was caught and served time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2780392/Thief-hides-Sainsbury-s-roof-collects-14-500-cash-pods-sent-tubes-register-cash-office.html

Midland Drapery.....

I remember the "pay by wire " system in Derby Co-0p , great fun to watch as a nipper . The Co-Op store in East st.  had a system of vacuum tubes , the money was placed in a small cylindrical container , then whisked away down the brass tubes to a distant room . A minute later your change arrived with a whoosh and a clatter , along with your cheque number receipt , of course . 

6 hours ago, Frogram said:

I remember the "pay by wire " system in Derby Co-0p , great fun to watch as a nipper . The Co-Op store in East st.  had a system of vacuum tubes , the money was placed in a small cylindrical container , then whisked away down the brass tubes to a distant room . A minute later your change arrived with a whoosh and a clatter , along with your cheque number receipt , of course . 

Lansom tubes. Used on ships allot too iirc. 

7 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

The best one was Muffin the Mule, It wasn't until I was old enough that I found out that a Muffin was something you had before bedtime ?

Reminds me of the old gag "did you know that Muffin The Mule was a sexual offence?"