Derby v Oxford Player Ratings

sage

Thanks to those of you who provided Rams' Player Ratings for the Oxford Utd Game.

I have created a nice Infographic to feedback the results but unfortunately due to a server issue ** I cannot upload it at the moment so a verbal report will have to suffice for now:

In descending order the ratings were:

Knight - 191

Sibley - 190.5 

Mendez-Laing - 183.5

Cashin - 179.5

Hourihane - 169

Davies - 166

Wildsmith - 166

Roberts - 161.5

Bird - 160

Barkheuizen - 153.5

Collins - 153

Smith - 151

Thompson - 42 (late sub - only received 7 ratings).

So Knight was the "statistical" MOTM. Sibley ran him very close which shows just what an impact he had as he was only on a relatively short time. Cashin had the largest single rating (9/10) but also the largest range of scores (9 - 6) which shows that for some people he is already a top performer but some people rate him less. 

The average aggregate team score was 80.98 (ie the average of each rater's  total score, divided by the number of raters) with a range of 13 (87 top and 74 lowest) showing the variability in raters' judgements.

When sorted from highest to lowest there is some ecological validity in the scores in that it matches my perception of which players had the better game and which  were the quieter ones (eg Smith, Collins, Barks). Once @David / @Boycie (**) sort out  the server issue I'll upload the Infographic which will become a regular feature of the Players' Ratings piece.

Thanks again for giving your ratings. Anyone can join. Don't be shy.

** {any resemblance to the Chuckle Bros. is purely coincidental "To me  David- to You Boycie"}.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

Good analysis. Wild to me Roberts so far down and Cashin so far up - maybe a bias based upon second half v first half. 

Cashin received some very high scores - in fact he got the highest rating of all ( a 9). For at least 1 rater he was MOTM. The scores are of course given for the performance in the game on the day, but often these scores will be biased by the degree to which the player is a "favourite" of the rater Eg I remember always wanting to give Bryson a high score even on those days when he was quiet by his own standards. These little biases run through everybody's scores potentially and do serve to blurr things. Eg Hourihane had a quiet game really by his standard, yet got 5th highest - though he did score a peach of a goal - so merited.

So, thanks for your observations @Srgand your scores; all good stuff.

Good to see that 3 Academy players appear in the top 4. Also underlines what a player Knight is; plays out of position but still puts in a MOTM performance. No wonder other Clubs are looking at him. Last season of his contract, I wonder what the Club's position is on Knight. I suspect if the right bid comes in, and it gives Knight the chance to play top flight, then we should take the money. But, with all due respect to Birmingham, I'd be a tad incensed if we lost him to a Championship Club. 

Edited by Ellafella

I think sometimes fans remember the ‘dynamic’ stuff where there’s a diving interception or a robust challenge and it influences their rating even if that individual had a mixed game.

I thought we were outmuscled in midfield and that we probably had three sixes there. The best attacks came down the flanks and in particular through NML and Knight, who for me were a mark above everyone else.

Roberts looks a player and whilst all four defenders were solid enough individually, there were enough ‘seat of their pants’ moments to show their inexperience playing together.

Cashin is a terrific prospect but he’s still learning how to use his body to best effect. He’s a great tackle and interceptor but occasionally gets turned or outmuscled by wily forwards who use their weight more cleverly.

That will come for sure, especially with CD’s experience next to him.

46 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think sometimes fans remember the ‘dynamic’ stuff where there’s a diving interception or a robust challenge and it influences their rating even if that individual had a mixed game.

I thought we were outmuscled in midfield and that we probably had three sixes there. The best attacks came down the flanks and in particular through NML and Knight, who for me were a mark above everyone else.

Roberts looks a player and whilst all four defenders were solid enough individually, there were enough ‘seat of their pants’ moments to show their inexperience playing together.

Cashin is a terrific prospect but he’s still learning how to use his body to best effect. He’s a great tackle and interceptor but occasionally gets turned or outmuscled by wily forwards who use their weight more cleverly.

That will come for sure, especially with CD’s experience next to him.

Spot on @Anag Ram. Average scores for our midfield were lower than overall average for the team, meaning defence and attack were given on average higher ratings. This is real food for thought as we really need Knight there. Midfield muscle I suspect is very key in League 1 and I think Smith is too lightweight and not even match fit yet. 

Edited by Ellafella

1 minute ago, sage said:

Lovely presentation but subs marks will be distorted unless you judge by average not total marks

Thanks & yes good point @sage; I've got both - Thompson got an average of 6 and Sibley 7.62 compared with Knight's 7.64. I will present both aggregated and average and present/compare going forward. I was hampered by the server issue but will build these in for next time. I'm happy to receive feedback to improve how the data gets visualized and thanks for your help @sage

Update: Oops - think I missed the boat!

Wildsmith   7

Knight.  7

Davies.   7

Cashin.   8

Roberts.  6

Smith.    6

Bird.   6

Hourihane   7

NML.       9

Barkheuizen.   6

Collins.       7

Subs

Sibley.  8

Thompson.  N/A

Edited by admira

57 minutes ago, admira said:

Update: Oops - think I missed the boat!

Wildsmith   7

Knight.  7

Davies.   7

Cashin.   8

Roberts.  6

Smith.    6

Bird.   6

Hourihane   7

NML.       9

Barkheuizen.   6

Collins.       7

Subs

Sibley.  8

Thompson.  N/A

OK Thanks @admira; I'll add these in, but won't re-issue the results but your contribution will impact on the analysis going forward. Posters have until Monday 6pm following the game on the Saturday (or 6pm on day +2 for a mid-week game).

Thanks for your scores.