Page turner books thread

Leeds Ram

8 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

I really recommend the Harry Flynn books from Steve Cavanagh. I'd class them as suspense, detective, courtroom drama genre.

He's matured as a writer and his most recent 3 books are outstanding. 

Thirteen

50-50

The Devil's Advocate

Agreed - though I think you mean the Eddie Flynn books ?

• 1 month later...

Finished reading Francis Fukuyama's latest offering, a slim but useful book on the growing problems liberalism faces in the world today. On the fiction front, finished Phillip Roth's The Plot Against America last week too, an oldy but a goody i think that I'd definitely recommend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread! (wish I thought of it). I'll come out with the classics in time but for now...

12 days on the Somme, Sidney Rogerson

Unexpected stocking filler off the wife (never heard of it). First World War Diary of an Officer (not officer class?) in the trenches during the opening days of the Battle of the Somme.

What makes it so readable is that the horrors of the trenches are side-lined - its more about day to day life. In one bit three of them are trying to get a light to cook as they hear the opening salvo starting the battle, knowing that 1000s of their countrymen are dying it's simply hey-ho! (my words!)

4 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Great thread! (wish I thought of it). I'll come out with the classics in time but for now...

12 days on the Somme, Sidney Rogerson

Unexpected stocking filler off the wife (never heard of it). First World War Diary of an Officer (not officer class?) in the trenches during the opening days of the Battle of the Somme.

What makes it so readable is that the horrors of the trenches are side-lined - its more about day to day life. In one bit three of them are trying to get a light to cook as they hear the opening salvo starting the battle, knowing that 1000s of their countrymen are dying it's simply hey-ho! (my words!)

Similar vein . A bit of an old one I can recommend.

image.png.1fb922793bc01156e266be809e12d59d.png

And this one.  Really good read

image.png.36a7435cdc2678a8e627bfa9a3c3ec09.png