Tom Glick has left The Panthers- is he part of the Appleby group?

simmoram1995

33 minutes ago, seths-cap said:

The bands getting back together.

It was their slow, steady and sensible approach that took us to promotion contenders.

And some excellent scouting/buying - cant remember was that Simon Clough scouting? Would like the return of that although academy recruiters doing an excellent job but we shouldnt say so loudly or a pPL team will steal them also

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

And some excellent scouting/buying - cant remember was that Simon Clough scouting? Would like the return of that although academy recruiters doing an excellent job but we shouldnt say so loudly or a pPL team will steal them also

Pretty sure it was Simon doing a lot of the scouting.

6 hours ago, seths-cap said:

Pretty sure it was Simon doing a lot of the scouting.

I don't mind the odd Connor Sammon's when the likes of Martin, Ward, Forsyth and Eustace being given new life too after getting left to rot by former clubs and not forgetting the Scottish scouting trips to get Bryson and Russell. There isn't any club that'll have 100% success rates, on the large, Clough had a very good record for signing players who would last the length of time, and if they didn't they were cheap enough to flog on without too much effort. I'd much rather that the likes of Camara, Blackman, Anya etc being bought for big money on big wages, barely playing and leaving us for free/being paid to leave.

29 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

GSE ran a tight ship but were very professional.

Very few fans appreciated that though, until we got to Wembley. After that it was "we must pay whatever it takes to sign George Thorne" and it's been downhill ever since.

Loads of fans stopped going because they were fed up of a perceived lack of investment. I just hope that if we get out of this hole, people remember what caused it in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Very few fans appreciated that though, until we got to Wembley. After that it was "we must pay whatever it takes to sign George Thorne" and it's been downhill ever since.

Loads of fans stopped going because they were fed up of a perceived lack of investment. I just hope that if we get out of this hole, people remember what caused it in the first place.

By then we'd changed owners, as you know that is they key point. Oh that and the change of manager from Clough. ?

I mean, we could have 'gone again' with splashing lots of money.

Edited by RoyMac5

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

By then we'd changed owners, as you know that is they key point. Oh that and the change of manager from Clough. ?

I mean, we could have 'gone again' with splashing lots of money.

Summer 2014, we were still majority owned by GSE, though the news of MM investing might have changed expectations a bit. But there's no doubt in my mind that a majority of fans had grown bored of just ticking over and not spending. 

Just now, Crewton said:

Summer 2014, we were still majority owned by GSE, though the news of MM investing might have changed expectations a bit. But there's no doubt in my mind that a majority of fans had grown bored of just ticking over and not spending. 

We were going in the right direction, just painfully slowly. I think we finished higher each year under GSE after the first (with one exception when we had ridiculous injuries to all our good players)

We were stagnant and reliant in Clough's ability to trade in lower leagues picking out diamonds from the rough

There's a long way between how we went about business and how Mel went about business. The sweet spot would be somewhere in between. 

We played LB's up front. 

I'd give more credit to Nigel, Mac and Sam Rush than GSE and Glick. 

We might be going through hell now but it was boring as feck back then. So I'm not gonna pretend it was all fantastic. I'd take it, given the current situation. 

But it wasn't exactly happy times. "Barker type fees, don't want to end up like Portsmouth or Rangers"

As if those are the only options. Sell Moxey or go into administration.

Glick used to make out when fpp comes in that it would shake up the whole pyramid and Derby would be well set to take advantage. 

Like fpp was gonna suddenly whip the carpet from under all these super rich owners.

Then he went to Man City

GSE took over Derby with a debt of 31 million, thought it was a lot more, so of course they ran the club with restraints for they had too recoup investment and have the club in the black, which they achieved.

Since start of administration and reading the comments on this forum, many do not get it we are in a total financial mess and whoever purchases the club will NOT be SPLASHING THE CASH, and it will be an hard road back, however after this seasons exploits so far it should show all that you do not need too spend millions on players, just the right ones too gel for which Wayne has done very well, with experience and young academy players, so i look forward too exciting times next season.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

We were stagnant and reliant in Clough's ability to trade in lower leagues picking out diamonds from the rough

There's a long way between how we went about business and how Mel went about business. The sweet spot would be somewhere in between. 

We played LB's up front. 

I'd give more credit to Nigel, Mac and Sam Rush than GSE and Glick. 

We might be going through hell now but it was boring as feck back then. So I'm not gonna pretend it was all fantastic. I'd take it, given the current situation. 

But it wasn't exactly happy times. "Barker type fees, don't want to end up like Portsmouth or Rangers"

As if those are the only options. Sell Moxey or go into administration.

Been touching on this in the Mel example topic.

I was one that was bored to tears under GSE, Robbie Savage as captain, begging for a Shaun Barker type fee, even then the club was still losing money.

Ask me now, would I prefer that or no club, of course I would find a way to love Robbie Savage. 

You say there is a sweet spot between what Mel spent and GSE, there is, but the spot again is still losing money each month which is mad that it’s been accepted as a business model in football. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

You say there is a sweet spot between what Mel spent and GSE, there is, but the spot again is still losing money each month which is mad that it’s been accepted as a business model in football. 

Even so it doesn't have to end in a business going into administration.