I despise Children In Need

BaaLocks

17 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The 25% discount thing came in when they introduced Mango cards, which must have been around the mid-2000's. I guess to incentivise people to use the contactless system - easier for the drivers, more convenient, the "future" etc

Scrapping Mango cards seems to have been done so that they can save money on having to manage their own travel card infrastructure, which makes sense for them - but shifts the cost burden  of maintaining a contactless payment medium, onto the passenger

So they've gone from a contactless system (and a 25% discount) that was available to literally anyone who wanted a mango card - to a contactless system that penalises people without bank accounts or smart phones

Too late for you but we got Miss Wolfie a contactless debit card thing that we can load up & she can then spend with it, instead of giving pocket money (cash). Pretty sure the Mrs has a regular payment set up, to go into it.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Where does the money go? We raise millions each year but I’ve never seen where it’s spent. 

Off their website

We use the money raised to support disadvantaged children and young people across the UK.

BBC Children in Need is currently supporting over 3000 local charities and projects in communities across the UK that are helping children and young people facing a range of disadvantages such as living in poverty, being disabled or ill, or experiencing distress, neglect or trauma.

In the last grant year alone, your support helped change the lives of over 600,000 disadvantaged children and young people, right here in the UK. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Off their website

We use the money raised to support disadvantaged children and young people across the UK.

BBC Children in Need is currently supporting over 3000 local charities and projects in communities across the UK that are helping children and young people facing a range of disadvantages such as living in poverty, being disabled or ill, or experiencing distress, neglect or trauma.

In the last grant year alone, your support helped change the lives of over 600,000 disadvantaged children and young people, right here in the UK. 

Hmm. I suspect they say that to keep you sending in money. I mean they haven’t even stitched a new eye on that flaming teddy since it started. Surely that wouldn’t cost much.

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Where does the money go? We raise millions each year but I’ve never seen where it’s spent. 

Local to me in Amber Valley:

Salcare, Heanor

Derbyshire Autism Support Group

Homestart

Derbyshire Carers Association

SV2 (supporting victims of sexual violence) 

If you search grants on their website you can find projects near you and more detail about what they are delivering.

Grants tend to be fairly short term, 1 - 2 years so change each year.

On 18/11/2021 at 20:47, angieram said:

Local to me in Amber Valley:

Salcare, Heanor

Derbyshire Autism Support Group

Homestart

Derbyshire Carers Association

SV2 (supporting victims of sexual violence) 

If you search grants on their website you can find projects near you and more detail about what they are delivering.

Grants tend to be fairly short term, 1 - 2 years so change each year.

Some good causes there.