5 Subs Again Next Season

ram59

The International Football Association Board have decided to continue with 5 subs for next season.

Do we really need it?  Players will have a normal break and pre-season before next season, so I can't see any justification on health grounds and do we want the disruption that comes with up to 10 players substituted each game?

Another rule which favours the big teams.

I dont mind it too much, you dont have to use all 5 and the number of breaks in play remains the same with 3 so thats no different to 3 solo subs or 5 subs across 3 breaks.

Yes it favours bigger squads but for clubs at our level it also makes it abit easier for youth players to make the matchday squad which isnt a bad thing as long as your bench isnt full of them.

Not looked into it but with the World Cup being next Winter how does that affect the domestic league? Do we have less of a preseason break next year? This ruling will also bare in mind a lack of preseason last year, a compact season, straight into the euros then a new season starting a month after the final so again a lot of top teams will probably have players playing up until the end of June in the last 16. So thats 6 weeks til the new season for a a first proper rest in over a year plus a preseason again.

The five sub rule means managers can 'try out' unfit players and risk doing more permanent damage to recovering assets.

I know that players are now looked upon as expendable 'human resources' but the line between 'risking it' and 'giving them a chance to show what they can do' can be a very fine one at times.

Yes, a substitute goalie makes sense, so does a sub defender, but to have the option of changing (almost) half the team is crazy and merely favours those teams who can afford expensive seat warmers and indecisive managers.

PS  Frank Wignall was THE classic supersub. Like Cloughie said. 'We won the League with 12 players and the rest still don't know how we did it!"

Edited by Brammie Steve

10 hours ago, ram59 said:

The International Football Association Board have decided to continue with 5 subs for next season.

Do we really need it?  Players will have a normal break and pre-season before next season, so I can't see any justification on health grounds and do we want the disruption that comes with up to 10 players substituted each game?

Another rule which favours the big teams.

In the EFL it will boost the attendance