IF

Yani P

OK this is just to get a feel for people's views on next season with lots of IFs in the scenario.

IF we stay up

IF the takeover happens in a timely fashion

And IF Rooney is given the financial support to bring in the players he wants (and if he decides its needed, new members of his backroom staff).

What would you personally consider the level of success required that would keep him in the manager role (short, medium and longer term)?

For me, it's got to be based on 2 things. Performance and results (I'm putting them separate as I wouldn't mind dropping points as much as long as we were playing well).

Performance: Competing in every game. Playing quick, direct football (and by 'direct', no I don't mean long ball). If we continue playing some of the rubbish we have this season, I wouldn't be sticking with him for very long... I do acknowledge that WR has said he wants to put his own stamp on the team in terms of playing style next season.

Results: Dependent on the above, I'd be happy with a midtable finish. Any early signs (before Xmas) that we could be getting dragged into a dogfight again, I'd be looking to make a change.

I think I would just want to see an exciting entertaining team..a fast free flowing team that played good attacking football and with a solid back line...not much to ask for?

Rooney was an exceptional player and an entertaining player. I hold on to the hope that this will be the style of football that he will want to develop and encourage once the club is on a level footing.

3 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

For me, it's got to be based on 2 things. Performance and results (I'm putting them separate as I wouldn't mind dropping points as much as long as we were playing well).

Performance: Competing in every game. Playing quick, direct football (and by 'direct', no I don't mean long ball). If we continue playing some of the rubbish we have this season, I wouldn't be sticking with him for very long... I do acknowledge that WR has said he wants to put his own stamp on the team in terms of playing style next season.

Results: Dependent on the above, I'd be happy with a midtable finish. Any early signs (before Xmas) that we could be getting dragged into a dogfight again, I'd be looking to make a change.

I would agree with both of those conditions of changing manager personally..

Obviously, it's relatively proportional to the ££££££££.

So assuming he gets a fat wedge:

Short term: competitive aggressive team that gives confidence were heading the right way.

Medium term: credible performance and style against top teams and optimistic league position.

Longer term: play offs or autos depending on budget he's given.

Lower amounts of backing and it's probably the same things but looking more at being midtable based on a midtable budget.

If we're running on shoe string budgets, well, that's just what it is....

46 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Short term: he improves our physical condition 

Medium term : he builds a squad with an identifiable style rather than matching up everyone else.

Long term: he has a proper integrated strategy for integrating academy players gradually or being moved on

All very noble but I agree with @Black ('n' White) Sheep, it has to be linked to results and performance.

There is no point in having a team of super fit players that are good at running around a lot if we still keep losing.

Style is important but it needs to be an entertaining and. Relatively successful style.

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

OK this is just to get a feel for people's views on next season with lots of IFs in the scenario.

IF we stay up

IF the takeover happens in a timely fashion

And IF Rooney is given the financial support to bring in the players he wants (and if he decides its needed, new members of his backroom staff).

What would you personally consider the level of success required that would keep him in the manager role (short, medium and longer term)?

Super League. 

Short term: he gets us playing attacking football scoring loads of goals 

Med term: he gets us playing attacking football scoring loads of goals 

Long term: he gets us playing attacking football scoring loads of goals

I don’t care about identity, development and all the new buzz word bs, excite us, attack and score more goals than the opposition.