The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Thought some of Cummings stories about last September were interesting, especially in terms of the popular narrative on here that it's all the evil media's fault.

His story was that in September, there was near unanimous government agreement that a lockdown was needed. All the data was pointing to things being critical by November, so everyone agreed: lockdown now, flatten the growth of infection and save loads of lives.

The only person who disagreed was Johnson so there was no lockdown.

Now Cummings himself was leaking to the BBC about what was going on, and presumably other leaks happening elsewhere. The evil media were reporting the actual understood danger, but was held up as an example of scaremongering.

Interestingly, Cummings also lambasted people like Professor Gupta of Barrington Declaration infamy, who were saying we already had Herd Immunity.  Johnson was swayed by these fringe opinions, whose influenced was greatly amplified by certain sections of the media who wanted/needed to believe everything would be fine.

These sections of the media seem to be the ones who also got things massively wrong, yet it's the likes of the BBC that still seem to be the most criticised. Cummings also said Johnson was impossible to deal with as he would change his mind continously based on Telegraph comment pieces. This seems to be a problem that really needs sorting.

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Population densities per square mile:

London 14,670

Leicester 12,000

Dallas 3,818

Austin 3,059

Houston 3,622

Is the other issue also the number of big cities close to each other in more densely populated countries ? meaning far more commuting and travel between them leading to a greater mixing of people. 

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Population densities per square mile:

London 14,670

Leicester 12,000

Dallas 3,818

Austin 3,059

Houston 3,622

15 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

Is the other issue also the number of big cities close to each other in more densely populated countries ? meaning far more commuting and travel between them leading to a greater mixing of people. 

Maybe all of the above, but they opened up no adverse effects and now living life normally again. We should do the same come June 21st no questions, no arguments. 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Maybe all of the above, but they opened up no adverse effects and now living life normally again. We should do the same come June 21st no questions, no arguments. 

I agree.  Provided we aren't in some sort of 3rd wave threatening thousands of lives, but nothing I have seen suggests we will be.

Now deaths are low I'd be interested to see the breakdown of died of or died with. I read 2 had died of the Indian variant after 2 doses but do we know it was the cause of death. 

2 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

I agree.  Provided we aren't in some sort of 3rd wave threatening thousands of lives, but nothing I have seen suggests we will be.

Now deaths are low I'd be interested to see the breakdown of died of or died with. I read 2 had died of the Indian variant after 2 doses but do we know it was the cause of death. 

If we are in a 3rd wave threatening loads of lives then what’s the point in the vaccination campaign, it’s already been stated they will work against all variations of Covid. Or am I missing something? 

24 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

If we are in a 3rd wave threatening loads of lives then what’s the point in the vaccination campaign, it’s already been stated they will work against all variations of Covid. Or am I missing something? 

It's not complete. 

I'm of the opinion that we will open up as planned, with a close eye on infection rates. I know Boris promised to never go back to lockdown after reopening, but would anyone be shocked if that turns out to be not 100% reliable? 

27 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It's not complete. 

I'm of the opinion that we will open up as planned, with a close eye on infection rates. I know Boris promised to never go back to lockdown after reopening, but would anyone be shocked if that turns out to be not 100% reliable? 

Why would we need to? 75% of UK hospitals are reporting ZERO Covid inpatients. It’s not complete but it’s doing it job and it’s time to move on. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I don't think so. I've been supportive of lockdown but think we are ready now.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Why would we need to? 75% of UK hospitals are reporting ZERO Covid inpatients. It’s not complete but it’s doing it job and it’s time to move on. 

We are all praying that things remain that way, but surely you can understand the concept of how Covid spreads by now.

Covid inpatients were ZERO in February and relatively nothing in August, but that meant nothing to a virus that can spread exponentially from a small handful of cases.

The metric of current Covid inpatients means almost nothing to what future Covid inpatients might be.

But don't be too hard on yourself, PM Johnson does not this understand this either.

And because you'll respond with "but the economy is ruined, what about mental health etc" I'm not saying the lockdown should continue, just that we need to keep monitoring the data and reacting accordingly.

8 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Yes. 12 hours for me. Compulsory masks.

I think the rate for the area where work is, currently stands at 8 per 100,000. So less than one person in 10,000. I'd have to be quite unlucky to meet them at work.

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier today, how come pupils in schools don’t have to wear masks yet people around my age have to wear them at work when we’ve had both vaccinations and are more likely to keep to distancing and hygiene rules than those at school ? ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We are all praying that things remain that way, but surely you can understand the concept of how Covid spreads by now.

Covid inpatients were ZERO in February and relatively nothing in August, but that meant nothing to a virus that can spread exponentially from a small handful of cases.

The metric of current Covid inpatients means almost nothing to what future Covid inpatients might be.

But don't be too hard on yourself, PM Johnson does not this understand this either.

And because you'll respond with "but the economy is ruined, what about mental health etc" I'm not saying the lockdown should continue, just that we need to keep monitoring the data and reacting accordingly.

I’m convinced you’re one of the ones who wants this way of life to stay forever. So so sad 

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I’m convinced you’re one of the ones who wants this way of life to stay forever. So so sad 

You must have missed the bit when I said "I don't think the lockdown should continue". 

Your mis-interpretation of fairly simple numerical trends has been staggering. Did they teach you nothing at Eton apart from rhetoric?

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You must have missed the bit when I said "I don't think the lockdown should continue". 

Your mis-interpretation of fairly simple numerical trends has been staggering. Did they teach you nothing at Eton apart from rhetoric?

Spondon school is the top of the league in teaching rhetoric, it must have rubbed off on me. You go hide behind your sofa until we are at zero cases, I’ll promote living our lives ??

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Spondon school is the top of the league in teaching rhetoric, it must have rubbed off on me. You go hide behind your sofa until we are at zero cases, I’ll promote living our lives ??

Talking of hiding, would be good to see a trend of your post count when that 2nd wave did actually hit, despite your constant ridicule of the forecasts. Fair play for just laughing it off when you did come back.

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Talking of hiding, would be good to see a trend of your post count when that 2nd wave did actually hit, despite your constant ridicule of the forecasts. Fair play for just laughing it off when you did come back.

I’ve never hid my opinion and am happy to discuss it in many a venue in our fair city over a pint ????

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not to the people who have been vaccinated.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you heard how all the vaccines are working against all the variants?

Yes, I've heard how the vaccines are effective vs current variants yes.

Do you know how effective they will be against future variants that could occur if we let Covid spread uncontrolled throughout the population with the removal of all restrictions?

Do you know the impact on non-vaccinated people if we yet again have huge infections numbers from current variants with higher transmission rates?

Do you think the economy can survive another few months of effective shutdown, or people could deal with another winter of lockdown? Would a delay of removing all restrictions be a price worth paying to stop this happening?

I really want all restrictions to be removed at end of June so I can go to 3 weddings over the summer, so my kids can have a bday party this year, so I can see lots of friends and family easily again.

But I really don't want another winter like the last one.

If we see exponential growth of cases each week until the end of June, opening everything up again will probably mean full lock down by September.

We'll be ok though, Johnson has spent the weekend getting married. Great optics on that.