The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Try telling that to the families and friends of the 128,000 who have died or more to the point those on here who have lost loved ones. You crass insensitivity is actually quite sickening. Whether you agree with lockdowns or not, it might make sense to actually consider what you are posting and what effect it may have on some before going off at the hip about #cultofcovid and other such bolarks.

When he typed #cultofcovid I wondered whether he was signing his name and had made a spelling mistake.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That is the most stupid pants-on-head thing I have read today. Congratulations.

Can you answer Texas and Florida then that have opened up regardless......I’m guessing not genius 

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Try telling that to the families and friends of the 128,000 who have died or more to the point those on here who have lost loved ones. You crass insensitivity is actually quite sickening. Whether you agree with lockdowns or not, it might make sense to actually consider what you are posting and what effect it may have on some before going off at the hip about #cultofcovid and other such bolarks.

Mate if you want to keep us locked up indefinitely then fair enough, I don’t and will stand by my opinion regardless of whatever you call me or think of my opinion. 

52 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Ok I’ll spell it out for you. There is no risk in opening up, there never has been a risk even without vaccinations (Florida and Texas are your baseline if you want to compare) For the past 18 months you’ve supported lockdowns and restrictions and actually demanded they happen. I don’t and want a return to normal ASAP 

Whilst it's bad for businesses still impacted by Covid, I hope they are been helped sufficiently by the government.

Apart from this, things are relatively back to normal, at least in terms of staying in the uk.

I think most of the uk has understood the 3 lockdowns have been needed, not just myself. There are few public figures who have not agreed with this..Ian Brown, Corbyn's brother and Toadmeister.

After the awful death toll over the last 15 months, a slightly longer and cautious approach to going back to normal doesn't really seem worth getting so worked up about.

You can still go to pubs and restaurants with 6 mates or 2 households. It's not that bad is it? If your livelihood has been impacted severely, then I hope the government have helped you sufficiently. 

1 hour ago, Norman said:

If you think the decision was as simple as that, we'd already have an answer to the date. Which was the point of my post. 

The decisions are not simple, but I'm not sure who you think are making them.

We haven't got an answer for the date yet as they are rightly waiting to understand the data.

The joke decision on India travel has caused this latest problem. Who do you think was responsible for this decision?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Experts?

In what?

We have one of the worst death tolls and have spent the best part of 14 months locked in our houses.

I'm struggling to see what expertise has been shown to date?

If only we had listened to the experts last September rather than those chancers behind the Great Barrington declaration.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Can you answer Texas and Florida then that have opened up regardless......I’m guessing not genius 

This is complete guesswork...

• The virus spreads more when people are in closer proximity.
  • People are in closer proximity during winter months. because they are indoors.
  • Texas and Florida are no longer in winter months.

Saying that:

•  between 3 and 5 times as many people are dying in Florida per day currently, compared with the United Kingdom (roughly 50 per day), with a population approximately one third of the UK, which makes their relative current death toll between 9 and 15 times worse than ours.
  • The current situation in Texas is comparable to Florida. In the last 21 days, a total of 540 people have died of Covid-19 there, compared to 136 in the UK. The population of Texas is 40% of that of the UK, so their relative current death rate is, once again, in the order of 10 times worse than ours.

What's your point?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Experts?

In what?

We have one of the worst death tolls and have spent the best part of 14 months locked in our houses.

I'm struggling to see what expertise has been shown to date?

The fact is that every single warning given is ignored by the government until it's too late - usually by around 3 or 4 weeks - and the bodies inevitably begin to pile up. Then they react.

It is a policy of crass, reactionary stupidity. The fact that some people blame the scientists over here echoes precisely the way that Fauci is looked upon by Trumpers in the USA.

I find it quaintly ironic that you, who used to so eagerly take the piss out of me when I used to speak about 'house arrest' when I was being advised to shield, are now claiming that you are now being victimised, complaining about exactly the same thing while I am now going about my business relatively normally, using public transport, visiting friends, even going on holiday and going to the pub.

Did I say 'quaintly ironic'? Sorry, I meant 'utterly pathetic'.

6 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Whilst it's bad for businesses still impacted by Covid, I hope they are been helped sufficiently by the government.

Apart from this, things are relatively back to normal, at least in terms of staying in the uk.

I think most of the uk has understood the 3 lockdowns have been needed, not just myself. There are few public figures who have not agreed with this..Ian Brown, Corbyn's brother and Toadmeister.

After the awful death toll over the last 15 months, a slightly longer and cautious approach to going back to normal doesn't really seem worth getting so worked up about.

You can still go to pubs and restaurants with 6 mates or 2 households. It's not that bad is it? If your livelihood has been impacted severely, then I hope the government have helped you sufficiently. 

We’re it simply about livelihoods then you have more of a point because in the main but not all cases the safety net has been decent ( let’s see going forward though),

It’s  much more than that though , personally I’m someone that gets his head down and gets through things but this last 18 months is weighing very heavy mentally and emotionally , I can tell you that since the jab I have felt physically and mentally exhausted and run down, could well be the feeling that we are never going to have a normal life again as the goalposts just keep moving ,who knows,

of course it’s very very sad when someone dies and we lose loved ones and friends ,I doubt anybody on here is callous enough to not give a shat but this virus affects a very small percentage of the population then you add the vaccine to the equation which supposedly protects a large number of that already small percentage and it’s time to start getting positive and getting life back,

we are human beings and we need to live and be happy , we are bogged down bombarded with caution caution, ,fear, fear from all angles ,

it’s time NOW to allow people to have their lives ,freedoms and choices back, sadly already for some they have been bombarded and scared so much they will never get back to normal

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

This is complete guesswork...

• The virus spreads more when people are in closer proximity.
  • People are in closer proximity during winter months. because they are indoors.
  • Texas and Florida are no longer in winter months.

Saying that:

•  between 3 and 5 times as many people are dying in Florida per day currently, compared with the United Kingdom (roughly 50 per day), with a population approximately one third of the UK, which makes their relative current death toll between 9 and 15 times worse than ours.
  • The current situation in Texas is comparable to Florida. In the last 21 days, a total of 540 people have died of Covid-19 there, compared to 136 in the UK. The population of Texas is 40% of that of the UK, so their relative current death rate is, once again, in the order of 10 times worse than ours.

What's your point?

My point is they have opened up (quite a while ago as well) returned to normal life without be highly vaccinated with no excess health issues and was asking why that would be based on your last post ridiculing my opinion. 

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

When Johnson says "I've seen nothing in the data..." I get very worried that the bumbling toff has been doing a bit of SQL and checking out the Tableau dashboards late into the night.

I'd much rather he said "I've been told there is nothing in the data....".

Interesting point really and I think you have said to other people their answers are in their own posts. Because I want politicians to be interpreting the data that scientista provide. They are NEVER going to say 'we have conquered Covid and the data shows there is no risk'. 

They have passed the buck previously when decisions get tough saying they are looking solely at risk to health from the disease. Someone else who understands (yes I know) economics, society, growth, infrastructure etc needs to decide what is a worthwhile risk. 

The goalposts will keep moving now we have variants. What interests me is that over-use of antibiotics is supposedly creating super-strength infections we can't treat so are we going to just keep going with vaccinations until Covid produces a variant that escapes it and quickly becomes the prevalent one? 

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

They have passed the buck previously when decisions get tough saying they are looking solely at risk to health from the disease. Someone else who understands (yes I know) economics, society, growth, infrastructure etc needs to decide what is a worthwhile risk. 

I think the frustrating part is that we have rarely been told how decisions are being made. Cummings said something similar about he thought things should be much more open.

If the decision making process was more transparent, then I think people would be more understanding. Well, assuming the decision process is actually reasonable, I'm not sure it is!

I also understand that decisions had to be made very quickly at the start and it was impossible to do this involving the whole of Parliament. But I can't see why decisions haven't been debated since. I read that this weekend it's still Johnson, Sunak, Gove and Hancock deciding what to do.  What's the point in the rest of the MPs during Covid?

Wouldn't it be more open and democratic if the evidence was presented to Parliament and they voted on the decision?  

One thing I am looking forward to is no longer having day by day analysis of numbers and deaths. We dont do with with other illnesses, such as the flu.

Im sure in some years if daily reports on flu were published they could be quite shocking and make us want to shut out doors to prevent catching it.

I dont see we will be an a covid free zone anytime soon, its going to be something we have to live with. Keep jabbing us each year, or at least the elderly and vulnerable and it will keep it under control and be another bug that sadly some each year will succumb to, just like the flu.

I know some countries are almost covid free, but even the likes of Australia and NZ have to open their borders at some point, they cant keep locking down if a handful of people are reported positive. I think even those countries will have to accept some fatalities each year from it.

5 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

Of course im not running a business that relies on customers, and i am sure those that do will disagree strongly. But in my head now a few more weeks for a more stable opening up has to be better than risking locking back down again later.

There could be a case that people won'r return to those places for a few weeks anyway until they are vaccinated, especially if cases keep rising. Might be better for the businesses to have a few more weeks of furlough than a few bad week of loss making opening.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

There could be a case that people won'r return to those places for a few weeks anyway until they are vaccinated, especially if cases keep rising. Might be better for the businesses to have a few more weeks of furlough than a few bad week of loss making opening.

Maybe, i think there will be a mix of people. Some would probably happily stand shoulder to shoulder in a packed pub right now vaccinated or not.

I wouldn't, i have had both my vaccines, but because of my medical condition its quite possible my levels of protection are lower than the general population, so I would avoid places like that. I would probably feel uncomfortable inside a packed cinema or theatre. Thats probably something i need to get my own head straight on, but i guess id want to see first if fully opening has any big impact on transmission, then hospitals and deaths and so on.

Of course I cant avoid them forever but yes id do it gradually, ease myself back in.

I have enjoyed going out for a beer, but its been outdoors, i have been in a restaurant since re-opening but felt safe as good social distancing was in place.

My biggest concern personally is returning to the work place, ive worked at home throughout and will continue to do so anyway most of the time but the plan is to return to the office partially at the end of this month. I still remain certain the workplace is where i pick up most of my bugs. Office environments are a breeding ground for bugs im quite positive.

If there is an extension i will certainly be asking my employer to refrain from bringing us back until that is over.

Obviously there is an element that (missing Albert) the thread remains the same people arguing from the same perspective. 

But I wonder what long term changes will remain, and will they be good. Personally I use Amazon a lot more now which is bad for the local area, jobs etc but I admit I love the ease. I also enjoy table service in pubs. 

When lockdown started at work we were all praised for carrying on, for schooling our children at the same time as working, for working flexibly etc. This week we had a meeting which was in person and 2 colleagues said 'I can't meet after 3 as I have the kids...' before lockdown that would not have been an answer that would have been accepted... 

Edited by Chester40

I must say the naming of the variants kind of passed me by a bit...but if Kent was Alpha from back in January and Delta is Indian now in June, I wonder once we get to Omega (Googled it) what will happen. Greek alphabet has got 24 letters (Google again), and our burning rate is quite high. it doesnt worry me but we might have created a bigger issue then what we were trying to solve. And i dont know what we were trying to solve either (didnt Google it)

those times when we cant travel i feel the variants provided a small dose of escapism, chinese, thai, brasilian, kent, indian, i preferred the old system. 

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Obviously there is an element that (missing Albert) the thread remains the same people arguing from the same perspective. 

But I wonder what long term changes will remain, and will they be good. Personally I use Amazon a lot more now which is bad for the local area, jobs etc but I admit I love the ease. I also enjoy table service in pubs. 

When lockdown started at work we were all praised for carrying on, for schooling our children at the same time as working, for working flexibly etc. This week we had a meeting which was in person and 2 colleagues said 'I can't meet after 3 as I have the kids...' before lockdown that would not have been an answer that would have been accepted... 

I love table service at pubs but don't see it being maintained in most places as it no doubt requires more staff. Some might do it, i hope they do.

I think working flexibly is a good one. Where i currently work, working from home was always something that you could do but only if absolutely necessary, but now its going to be maintained, at least partially. I will work from home 3 or 4 days a week even when we start back so thats a good thing me, for my work life balance certainly as i wont have to spend 2 hours a day in the car every day.

I think its forced many businesses to trust their staff, before they perhaps didnt, or felt they couldnt be managed. But now they have seen it can and does work, and productivity has been excellent.