Fire Sale?

IslandExile

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm not sure Gordon's head was turned by a "big club". It looks to me as if Derby has drive this to capitalize on an asset not yet ready for the first team so whose future is inevitably a gamble.

The one that worries me is Sibley, purely because of Rooney's refusal to play him. Will Hughes (of course with much more experience) was in a similar position under Rowett with the manager not wanting him in the team, so had to find a way out. In the summer, Sibley was looking like an incredible option as an attacking midfielder with figures of £20-30m.

Derby are desperate for more goals. Sibbo started the Birmingham game (finally) and we won 0-4 and he might have scored 5 that day with just a little more match sharpness. He started the following game against Sheffield Wednesday and we might/could/should have been 0-4 up at half-time, but he was subbed off and hasn't played again. And Derby have completely stopped looking threatening. 

For his own career Sibbo needs to play. It's obvious to me he should be starting for Derby. Sadly it's not obvious to Rooney, so I can see the jewel of the academy going for peanuts this week to pay the wages for a couple of months. I would class that a fire sale.

Sibley has either been very good or very poor with very little middle ground. When he has played and not performed he offers very little and essentially needs to get more consistency in his game. You could argue he will only get that by playing but the position we are in Rooney has had to play the players he feels he can rely on week in week out. That unfortunately is not Sibley currently.

I think the comparison to Hughes and Rowett is way off mainly for the reasons above, also circumstances very different at the moment to when Rowett didn't play Hughes. 

I firmly believe Rooney Rates Sibley and understands what a talent he has but to date he can't afford to take to many chances/risks with the situation we have been in and he has needed 11 players out there that he feels he can totally rely on AT THE MOMENT. I think if he stays and we  get out of trouble he will be given more opportunities in time.

Incidentically his inconsistency is not a criticism but a fact generally for players of his age and some a lot older that play in is position and have bit of the game changing maverick about them.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Plus Mitchell-Lawson, Wilson; hector-Ingram, stretton, brown; Ibe, Gordon, Watson, Whittaker, 

A lot of those aren't good enough. We can't just rely on academy players. We need some senior pros in the building and fast

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'm not sure Gordon's head was turned by a "big club". It looks to me as if Derby has drive this to capitalize on an asset not yet ready for the first team so whose future is inevitably a gamble.

The one that worries me is Sibley, purely because of Rooney's refusal to play him. Will Hughes (of course with much more experience) was in a similar position under Rowett with the manager not wanting him in the team, so had to find a way out. In the summer, Sibley was looking like an incredible option as an attacking midfielder with figures of £20-30m.

Derby are desperate for more goals. Sibbo started the Birmingham game (finally) and we won 0-4 and he might have scored 5 that day with just a little more match sharpness. He started the following game against Sheffield Wednesday and we might/could/should have been 0-4 up at half-time, but he was subbed off and hasn't played again. And Derby have completely stopped looking threatening. 

For his own career Sibbo needs to play. It's obvious to me he should be starting for Derby. Sadly it's not obvious to Rooney, so I can see the jewel of the academy going for peanuts this week to pay the wages for a couple of months. I would class that a fire sale.

My biggest gripe about Rooney. In part I can understand it given the situation, that we need 11 scrappers out there. But we also desperately lack a spark. We only have two players who have that bit of magic, Sibley and Lawrence. 

Cocu saying Sibley was unaffordable seems a long time ago. 

With a week left of the window, we still have Bielik, Jozwiak, Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley.

I think talk of a fire sale is premature when we still have the core group of players the club would be planning its future around. Different story if these rumours start to solidify and become something concrete.

But as it is, Te Wierik, Holmes and Evans will all be looking to play first team football at this stage of their careers. It can’t be much of a surprise when squad players who are largely not in favour are moved on, especially in our current financial situation.

Gordon is one of our brightest prospects but we are at the mercy of youth system regulations. You can’t stand in a player’s way if a big club like Liverpool or United come calling especially if he hasn’t signed pro terms. So again, I think the club have been left with little choice.

For me, what will be interesting to see is what our plans are for Waghorn, Lawrence and Ibe moving forward and whether they are viewed as key players for the future.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

With a week left of the window, we still have Bielik, Jozwiak, Buchanan, Bird, Knight and Sibley.

I think talk of a fire sale is premature when we still have the core group of players the club would be planning its future around. Different story if these rumours start to solidify and become something concrete.

But as it is, Te Wierik, Holmes and Evans will all be looking to play first team football at this stage of their careers. It can’t be much of a surprise when squad players who are largely not in favour are moved on, especially in our current financial situation.

Gordon is one of our brightest prospects but we are at the mercy of youth system regulations. You can’t stand in a player’s way if a big club like Liverpool or United come calling especially if he hasn’t signed pro terms. So again, I think the club have been left with little choice.

For me, what will be interesting to see is what our plans are for Waghorn, Lawrence and Ibe moving forward and whether they are viewed as key players for the future.

Spot on

I don't know how you can gauge the difference between a fire sale price and the transfer market being depressed due to the ongoing Covid implications? 

An object is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it as those who have sold houses or sold cars will readily testify to anyway.

Archived