Weird Season

ariotofmyown

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I personally think we need now to focus on the task in hand which is dragging us away from the bottom 3 then putting enough daylight between us and those teams to make being sucked back in a total improbability. That's no mean feat in itself so anything beyond this seems totally absurd. 

Thats exactly what the manager, coaches and players need to do.

As fans though, we can dream. I am convinced we will win the FA Cup AND make the play offs!??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are an average team who have done bad - there are lots of average teams doing either good average or bad whilst the relagated parachute teams basically have money and players in abundance so at least 2 of them will go straight back up if not all 3 - I hate the premiership money monopoly 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Almost half way through ?

To be honest, we only need to be a top 2 side for the remainder of the season to sneak in on the last day. It's not impossible but it is a massive ask.

Two points per remaining game is 27x2=54 add our 16 to make 70 points. Simples.

6 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I personally think we need now to focus on the task in hand which is dragging us away from the bottom 3 then putting enough daylight between us and those teams to make being sucked back in a total improbability. That's no mean feat in itself so anything beyond this seems totally absurd. 

Just getting out of the bottom 3 would be a good start, let alone pulling away from it. 

im a super optimistic person, and find myself getting carried away that we could make an improbably charge for the play offs. But actually, facts is facts, Wednesday was a good win, but still only our second win of the season (the first being very lucky), and we’re still in the bottom 3 (just, on goal difference, big still in it). 

let’s just win the next game, get out of the bottom 3, then start getting carried away with such dreams of actually pulling away from the bottom 3. 

We’ve definitely got a weird squad. We’ve not actually been that dreadful most of the season, in terms of not getting hammered very often, but we find ourselves in the bottom three. Some might say we’ve been unlucky, I’d argue we’re exactly where we should be. Because we just haven’t been able to score goals.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team with such a stark contrast between defence and attack. At the back we’ve been pretty solid generally, only letting in the odd goal here and there. I mean, we’ve kept 4 clean sheets on the bounce, that would be an achievement for even a good team! You certainly wouldn’t expect a team in trouble of relegation to have that record. The trouble is, we’ve been so incredibly bad going forward, that the odd goal here and there is enough to beat us most weeks. And that’s been a real concern, I haven’t seen a Derby team, or even any other Championship team, that toothless for a long time. That’s obviously been the result of both poor coaching, and poor summer recruitment. 

If we could sort our attack out, and start creating and finishing many more chances, then we would improve dramatically. I guess that’s fairly obvious, but I think the scale of the improvement would be surprising, given the foundations are there defensively. The question is, can we manage it? The game on Wednesday was much better in that regard, but it’s just one game at the moment. We need to show improved attacking threat consistently. That will be the key to our survival. The January transfer window will also clearly be vital in that regard.

For what it’s worth, anyone mentioning the playoffs needs their head testing. We’re far too far out, following our horrific start. We just need to focus on pulling ourselves safely out the relegation scrap and into mid table, then we can try again next year, with hopefully a far better organised summer.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Thats exactly what the manager, coaches and players need to do.

As fans though, we can dream. I am convinced we will win the FA Cup AND make the play offs!??

Where's your ambition? There are still enough points up for grabs for a late title push.

We'll win the league with a couple of games to spare. To officially draw an end to his playing career, Rooney will start against Sheff Weds in front of a sold out Pride Park.

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

May need 74points though it's more about just keeping in touch, we need to win 10 out of next 12 so it's not happening I think. 

Win the next three or four and we can then pressurise teams from the kick off as we have nothing to lose.. expected to be mid table but just go at them and enjoy football again. Could be exciting. Had enough of defensive tactics. We gave got talented players  We may have a top 8 level squad already. I have watched the Swansea game carefully. So many aspects done very well indeed. It was no fluke.

14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Win the next three or four and we can then pressurise teams from the kick off as we have nothing to lose.. expected to be mid table but just go at them and enjoy football again. Could be exciting. Had enough of defensive tactics. We gave got talented players  We may have a top 8 level squad already. I have watched the Swansea game carefully. So many aspects done very well indeed. It was no fluke.

Yes I think top 8 squad sounds about right similar to last season from January to the end of the season where we were a top 8 standard team. I think if we can keep these players we can be decent next season assuming we stay up but it would be nice to have a strong or even half decent start for once because it can't always be next season. Also with the Euros Jozwiak and Beilk will probably play for Poland so that could change things, if they play well we could get big money in although I'd prefer that type of player to stay. 

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Yes I think top 8 squad sounds about right similar to last season from January to the end of the season where we were a top 8 standard team. I think if we can keep these players we can be decent next season assuming we stay up but it would be nice to have a strong or even half decent start for once because it can't always be next season. Also with the Euros Jozwiak and Beilk will probably play for Poland so that could change things, if they play well we could get big money in although I'd prefer that type of player to stay. 

We need the two Polish guys. Ask them to find us an up and coming striker.

Euphoria says that we could go unbeaten until the end of the season if -

1. We always play like we did against Swansea

2. No flukey goals or disputable penalties against us 

3. No injuries 

4. We get three quality players at Xmas 

5. Lawrence and Ibe  always play really well.

6. No crazy refereeing decisions against us.

7. Takeover by Xmas

8. Rooney gets the job 

9. We do not lose any games.

Archived