New Manager

dantheram

25 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

He did say ‘you never know’

Personally I can't think he would wind up here.  However that interview very much mirrored the kind of stuff McClaren said around the Newcastle job. It's a big club, I've got a job, nothing to see here, I'm just concentrating on the next two weeks. On that occasion the consensus was cries of traitor and he's definitely off.  This time ' no way he's coming here'.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

None of that really contradicts the notion you'd have to have been huffing glue to think Benitez was going to take this job at this point in time. They may be prefessional and ambitious and very good at keeping the tight ship, but trying to sell a club bottom the second division to someone who already has a job (very well paid) and if he wanted to change a job could easily get a job in a top league just seems such an unlikely pitch. What would entice him? Money would be silly, risk to his reputation would be significant, things are still in motion and we don't actually have an owner with the entire wealth of an oil-state behind him.

Suppose this conversation comes up in may or june next year the prospect may be entirly different. Takeover completed, the team recover to mid-table finish and the owners make a pitch on a this time we're serious basis.

I take your point RW. The excitement of having a manager like Benitez can sway the head but football is all about dreams. Taking over a Club like Derby is a challenge but with new Owners in for the long haul and a good amount of money to spend at some point it is a prospect like Wolves where we have all been impressed. I could not name the Owners but they have made a string of brilliant decisions and provided a possible model for us. They seemed to bring stability from day one. I have a feeling that this will happen with Derby. I used to say that you can identify an excellent headmaster by the excellent staff that he/she chooses. The right manager with an ability to get the team playing attractive football and bringing four or five key players on board will see us really starting to progress up the League. The ability of the Manager to attract very good players will probably involve a very good salary for the Manager and his team of coaches. I am now feeling much more hopeful of seeing some good football and more wins. It is very difficult to understand how the Championship and how to get promotion from it but Bielsa,  Espiritu Santo and  Bilic made short work of it. Studying the Wolves model could be very informative where close links to Portugal and the Football Agent Mendes has been an eye opener. COYR.

“The ability of the Manager to attract very good players will probably involve a very good salary for the Manager and his team of coaches. I am now feeling much more hopeful of seeing some good football and more wins. It is very difficult to understand how the Championship and how to get promotion from it but Bielsa,  Espiritu Santo and  Bilic made short work of it. Studying the Wolves model could be very informative where close links to Portugal and the Football Agent Mendes has been an eye opener. COYR.”

Over 140 pages and at last somebodies got it spot on.............well done Rampage.

Theres obviously big plans and big names being lined up, I’m predicting exciting times ahead!

.............so please stop mentioning Nigel Adkins and Paul Cook! ?

MM: "Your Highness, I mean Your Excellency, I mean, oh heck...anyway, we have lined up Wayne Rooney to be the manager of your new toy, err, I mean club".

SK: "But Wayne Rooney is a player. He is England's record goalscorer. It is good for us that he plays more for England, no? Makes people know we are a great club".

MM: "Quite, well he could assist Liam Rosenior who is qualified to be a manager."

SK: "Never heard of him. Oh, did I see him on Sky Sports once?"

MM: "He's a fully qualified coach. OK, how about John Gregory to come in and ease Wayne Rooney into the job".

SK: "Ah, the purple one. He comes to me in Dubai, asking for work. How do you say....mmm....'wide boy'. No."

MM: "Well what about two managers that a lot of people think will prosper at a bigger club: Steve Cooper or Paul Cook?"

SK: "Who? Why do you bother me with these names? Next"

MM: "OK, sorry. How about Eddie Howe? He took Bournemouth up to the Premier League and kept them there?"

SK: "I do not see Bournemouth in the Premier League. Did he not spend lots of Russian rubles too? I thought you told me we do not have to buy any new players because we have lots of wonder kids".

MM: "Well the former England Manager Steve McClaren is available".

SK: "He's funny. Did you see that interview he gave with the Dutch accent and his hair, have you seen his hair? Next"

MM: "Another ex-England Manager: Sam Allardyce?"

SK: "Mmmmm, I like the way he does business. No. I want Rafa Benitez. Get me Rafa Benitez".

50 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

MM: "Your Highness, I mean Your Excellency, I mean, oh heck...anyway, we have lined up Wayne Rooney to be the manager of your new toy, err, I mean club".

SK: "But Wayne Rooney is a player. He is England's record goalscorer. It is good for us that he plays more for England, no? Makes people know we are a great club".

MM: "Quite, well he could assist Liam Rosenior who is qualified to be a manager."

SK: "Never heard of him. Oh, did I see him on Sky Sports once?"

MM: "He's a fully qualified coach. OK, how about John Gregory to come in and ease Wayne Rooney into the job".

SK: "Ah, the purple one. He comes to me in Dubai, asking for work. How do you say....mmm....'wide boy'. No."

MM: "Well what about two managers that a lot of people think will prosper at a bigger club: Steve Cooper or Paul Cook?"

SK: "Who? Why do you bother me with these names? Next"

MM: "OK, sorry. How about Eddie Howe? He took Bournemouth up to the Premier League and kept them there?"

SK: "I do not see Bournemouth in the Premier League. Did he not spend lots of Russian rubles too? I thought you told me we do not have to buy any new players because we have lots of wonder kids".

MM: "Well the former England Manager Steve McClaren is available".

SK: "He's funny. Did you see that interview he gave with the Dutch accent and his hair, have you seen his hair? Next"

MM: "Another ex-England Manager: Sam Allardyce?"

SK: "Mmmmm, I like the way he does business. No. I want Rafa Benitez. Get me Rafa Benitez".

Benitez will come out f retirement to manage us when we qualify for the Champions League in 2097. ITK

2 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Under the circumstances he said what I expected him to say.

Did we expect him to admit talking to the new owners or any representatives.

He is on the list with Mr Rooney like it ir not.

Plus the fact he’s under contract at the moment so being a professional he won’t do what McClaren be did when  he was with us, and flash his knickers at Newcastle.

4 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

He is on the list with Mr Rooney like it or not.

Come off it, Richard.

The only list those two are on together is the betting list. 

6 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

He is on the list with Mr Rooney like it or not.

Do you mean that if we cannot get Benitez, it will be Rooney?

Or do you mean it will be Benitez with Rooney as his assistant?

Or do you mean the club is yet to decide between Benitez, Rooney and young Toby?

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

He didn't categorically say "no" in that interview.

Correct and he also said things change quickly in football, very interesting why he would say that if he has no intention of managing us. He could have said what he said regards us being a big club and respects us but it's not for him and he's had no contact.

20 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

? Rafa still remains top of the list.

Top of our list, as in who the owners want, or just the betting odds list?

I was expecting Rafa to just stop the link dead in its tracks, but he didn't.

His comments to me suggest he is very aware of interest, probably has spoken to someone about the potential, but the incentive isnt there to join Derby, yet.

Archived