New Manager

dantheram

5 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

I'll have to take your word for that. I can't say I've ever read anything about McClaren having any input into the academy, but if he did that's great.

Bringing through the youth was only one point however in my original post of why I don't think we should reappoint McClaren.

I’m not advocating Mac 3, I just know from listening to a lot of his and Mel’s interviews Mac was not impressed by the set up and quality of players. Mel was keen for for the academy to produce players, Mac put the wheels in motion to get us to the position we are now. Yeah obviously the hard yards are down to Mel and Wassall. 

I’d not like to go back to Mac, I think it would be too emotion driven and trying to recreate something that probably can’t be recreated. Although I do think the team we have now might suit his style of football so I wouldn’t have been adverse to him stepping in until the new owners come on board to bring someone in. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not quite. Mac said the current U21s (now U23s) weren't good enough to step up, which resulted in the likes of Calero, Koblenz and Santos being signed.

Investment in the academy started when Clough was here, which was when the academy was 'ring fenced', Wassall came in and got everything set up. But, it wasn't until Mel took over that the cash was available for ramping investment up considerably, and moving up to Cat 1 status.

So what I said only in your words... love it 

4 hours ago, enachops said:

No I agree, he’s done a decent job. But - Potter moulded the playing style and philosophy. Cooper has continued this. That wouldn’t be the case at Derby. We’d need to change from Cocu’s slow build up play - can Cooper stamp his own style on players who have played in a different way previously? He hasn’t spent much so there are question marks over recruitment? He did great at loan players, the issue is with that - the older the England U17 group get the more difficult they are to loan. His contact list then may run dry? Question marks, like I say as he is still quite inexperienced. A tough call. 

Unpopular opinion but I think Cocu is the ideal manger to be taking over from I believe he will have done the hard yards for someone else to reap the rewards. 
cocu didn’t want it to be boring and slow but he was too afraid to change something early enough to make a difference Nigle Clough was similar but they both liked possession based good football. Just lacked a cutting edge. I think someone like Cooper may come in and just give us something extra to score some goals. 
Mac said when he came in everyone was comfortable with the ball it was easy for him to coach. I think Cocu will have the same, everyone is comfortable with the ball at their feet they just need to play the ball forwards more and be braver. 

16 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

I’d not like to go back to Mac, I think it would be too emotion driven and trying to recreate something that probably can’t be recreated. Although I do think the team we have now might suit his style of football so I wouldn’t have been adverse to him stepping in until the new owners come on board to bring someone in. 

>>"trying to recreate something that probably can’t be recreated."

And, ultimately did not lead to promotion.

>>"I wouldn’t have been adverse to him stepping in until the new owners come on board to bring someone in."

It's like this Steve, we want you to give the fans something to cheer about this season, until the new owner is settled in and we can appoint somebody better.

Sorry @DCFC27, just being frivolous. I know what you mean. I agree with your later post - why not give it to Mac3, a brilliant coach. And, as discussed in the DoF thread, have someone else, not Mac, in charge of transfers.

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

>>"trying to recreate something that probably can’t be recreated."

And, ultimately did not lead to promotion.

>>"I wouldn’t have been adverse to him stepping in until the new owners come on board to bring someone in."

It's like this Steve, we want you to give the fans something to cheer about this season, until the new owner is settled in and we can appoint somebody better.

Sorry @DCFC27, just being frivolous. I know what you mean. I agree with your later post - why not give it to Mac3, brilliant coach? And, as discussed in the DoF thread, have someone else, not Mac, in charge of transfers.

Tbf his actual signings record wasn’t too bad and his contact list is great, so I’d love to have had him on board as a DOF or in a coaching capacity to someone. One thing that lets him down is his actual man management skills, over 46 games you do need to be able to deal with some problems and difficult results. But overall I think he always seemed to have a shrewd signing or be able to coach teams better than anyone. But somehow he managed to loose the respect of one of the most respectful players we’ve had in Bryson. 

34 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

So what I said only in your words... love it 

Except Mac didn't "revitalise the academy". He felt the U21s at that moment in time weren't ready for the step up. He didn't comment on any players in younger age groups.

For example, I believe Bird and Sibley were already in the academy before Mac joined the club.

Anyone yet suggested Paul Simpson?

I'm sure he's having a positive effect as number 2 at Bristol. But he did well in his own right as manager of a couple of lower league clubs. Was one of them Stockport?

Then he was triumphant with the young England team.

Derby connection, twice over, always a Ram and all that ?

14 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I don't know. We're still heavily reliant on the growth of our academy/young players. He doesn't have a overly stellar reputation with regards to progressing young players, certainly not a well-known reputation. 

A manager with an emphasis on the coaching side is what we need. An Arsene Wenger lite, if you will. 

He’s available last I checked ?

Ryan Lowe please. Had him in mind for a little while and, after listening to the Not The Top 20 Podcast, I'm convinced.

He's less of a gamble than someone with zero experience, and he's shown huge promise in every job he's had. I think most competent managers could keep us up this season, but I'd rather us bring someone in who can take us forwards afterwards.

1 hour ago, Shang said:

It's believed that Bayern are grooming him to be a long term manager for them, he won't be allowed to go anywhere that will compromise that.

Bayern will block him from leaving another club? That's hard to believe.
It's also hard to believe he'd step straight into the Bayern management seat from a 3rd division Spanish side (effectively U23 level). He should be looking for a club to use as a stepping stone, with a club our size being perfect as a next step.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ryan Lowe please. Had him in mind for a little while and, after listening to the Not The Top 20 Podcast, I'm convinced.

He's less of a gamble than someone with zero experience, and he's shown huge promise in every job he's had. I think most competent managers could keep us up this season, but I'd rather us bring someone in who can take us forwards afterwards.

He's a brilliant up-and-coming manager who I think would be great, however his favoured formation wouldn't suit our team, he's played  3-5-2 in most of his games, but then again he could be playing that to suit his Plymouth team

6 minutes ago, secretsquirrel said:

Interesting call on the phone in last night-saying we should look for someone who has graduated from the-Hennes-Weisweiler Academy in Germany really impressive list of managers who got their licence here Klopp ,Flick Tuchel, Neaglesman

There's plenty of those as about 20-25 graduate each year and not all of them are doing that well. But obviously, they are bunch of more educated managers so therefore a could be better options than those who only have UEFA Pro License.

Archived