Has progress finished?

Normanton Lad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange o/p but i've had this conversation a lot. I think society in general, how we talk and interact has not changed much in the last 30 years. I use 1990 as a benchmark year. 1960 everyone was like 'chumley warner' (harry enfield). Haircuts and fashion...massive difference between 1960 and 1990. Not so much today from 1990 to 2020. I think there were a large number of inventions from 60-90 but it seems 90-20 just improvements on what was already there. I've an old vhs video we took in 1988 of our home town and the only thing that dates it is the cars. Someone mentioned zx spectrum and gaming. In 2005 Doom 3 was released and I don't think graphics have moved on that much since that came out.

We need another world war. Obviously I'm being flippant, but necessity is the mother of invention. The number of inventions and advancements linked to or vastly accelerated by research conducted during war is frightening.

14 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

4k TVs with 8k on the way. 

Yet if you turn on the box it is full of cheaply filmed shows from the 1980s and 1990s. The colours in shows like Morse are totally washed out. Watching that on an 8k TV will be horrendous. The colour TV shows from the 1960s like The Avengers and The Saint still look good.

The area where there has been the greatest progress is genetics. The information about dna and  predisposition to various illnesses is exploding at a tremendous rate. It is so interesting that I can't understand why most people haven't bothered with dna testing. Perhaps they don't want to know if they have a higher chance of getting Alzheimer's  or if they are carrying a bad gene.

3 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

Perhaps they don't want to know if they have a higher chance of getting Alzheimer's  or if they are carrying a bad gene.

Frankly I'd rather drift unknowing into the fog of dementia unless I could do something about it!

On a practical note imagine the cost of life insurance, or  getting a loan if you had to say you were a cancer/cardiac/dementia risk.

46 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Strange o/p but i've had this conversation a lot. I think society in general, how we talk and interact has not changed much in the last 30 years. I use 1990 as a benchmark year. 1960 everyone was like 'chumley warner' (harry enfield). Haircuts and fashion...massive difference between 1960 and 1990. Not so much today from 1990 to 2020. I think there were a large number of inventions from 60-90 but it seems 90-20 just improvements on what was already there. I've an old vhs video we took in 1988 of our home town and the only thing that dates it is the cars. Someone mentioned zx spectrum and gaming. In 2005 Doom 3 was released and I don't think graphics have moved on that much since that came out.

I also see 1990 as about the time when things stopped changing. Someone mentioned video conferencing as progress, but I'm sure I was using Skype about 15 years ago. Some say computer games have advanced leaps and bounds but the graphics on games like Minecraft don't seem to be a sign of progress to me.

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I suppose you could if you wanted. Seems an odd thing to choose to do though. Personally I choose to watch good stuff. 

When things are filmed directly in 8k it may be worth it, but for now it seems a waste of money. I have a good quality 50" Sony which does a good job in 4k but also upscales standard HD very well. So much so that (for example) streaming Top Gear in 4k is barely any better than streaming in HD. Maybe a bit better contrast.

Certainly not enough to justify emptying my wallet into Sky coffers for UHD

Now if I had a 60+ incher that may be different.

I had the same argument about the evolution of football. They said that football in 2020 is a completely different game to 2010. I disagreed. Changes to the game are minimal compared to for example 1990 -2000. Maybe as a society we are evolving things rather than seeing massive changes in products/fashion etc. 

23 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Previously we had Concorde, now we have an air bus.. We’re going backwards, literally..

Concorde's a great example of technology not progressing, but it was so cutting edge that even now it'd be difficult to build anything faster. It could outrun just about every other plane on the planet, including military jets. But it was completely unviable from a commercial point of view, which is why only two airlines ever used them, i.e. the national flag carriers of the countries that built it. Plus by modern standards the cabin was cramped and not particularly luxurious, given the ticket prices. Like the moon landings, Concorde was proof of what human ingenuity and engineering could achieve, but having proved it there wasn't really any point continuing with it because of the enormous cost and practicality. Still a thing of beauty though.

13 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Concorde's a great example of technology not progressing, but it was so cutting edge that even now it'd be difficult to build anything faster. It could outrun just about every other plane on the planet, including military jets. But it was completely unviable from a commercial point of view, which is why only two airlines ever used them, i.e. the national flag carriers of the countries that built it. Plus by modern standards the cabin was cramped and not particularly luxurious, given the ticket prices. Like the moon landings, Concorde was proof of what human ingenuity and engineering could achieve, but having proved it there wasn't really any point continuing with it because of the enormous cost and practicality. Still a thing of beauty though.

I’m not so sure it’s not going to take off again.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cnn.com/travel/amp/boom-supersonic-jet-set-for-2021-take-off/index.html

3 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Fair enough, but it looks like it's going to be a niche thing with small passenger cabins (and pricing to match, I presume). I don't see Boeing or Airbus scaling it up any time soon.

18 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

That it was. 

You're right it was never commercially viable but I am sure the technology in that benefited other aircraft that came along later. 

I've worked at Heathrow all my life, it's still the only plane that made me stop and watch, every single time. Stunning.

I just watched all 14 mins of a guy talking about a 1990s microwave - proving that technology (and therefore progress) has indeed peaked.  After posting this I'm heading to eBay to see if I can get one for myself...

On the bright side it wasn't 14 minutes wasted, I'll be all over any Sharp Carousel pub quiz questions now ?

Archived