Has progress finished?

Normanton Lad

I rarely watch TV but I put on the box last week and it was showing a Homes Under the Hammer type show from 2005. It looked like it could have been filmed yesterday. It didn't look dated. I'm watching OZ - a great show by the way - from 2000 and that doesn't seem dated in any way. But if in 1965 you saw a film from 1950 it would have almost looked like ancient history. The idea of watching show about home improvement in 1975 when the show was filmed in 1955 or even 1960 would have been ridiculous. Everything had changed. Even from 1975 to 1990 there had been so many changes that you would never dream of getting home improvement or fashion tips from that era. But now the great changes we had in the second half of the 20th century seem to have stopped. Also everywhere is beginning to look the same.

Is this just a case of an older person not noticing change or are others thinking the same thing?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

I rarely watch TV but I put on the box last week and it was showing a Homes Under the Hammer type show from 2005. It looked like it could have been filmed yesterday. It didn't look dated. I'm watching OZ - a great show by the way - from 2000 and that doesn't seem dated in any way. But if in 1965 you saw a film from 1950 it would have almost looked like ancient history. The idea of watching show about home improvement in 1975 when the show was filmed in 1955 or even 1960 would have been ridiculous. Everything had changed. Even from 1975 to 1990 there had been so many changes that you would never dream of getting home improvement or fashion tips from that era. But now the great changes we had in the second half of the 20th century seem to have stopped. Also everywhere is beginning to look the same.

Is this just a case of an older person not noticing change or are others thinking the same thing?

I think it’s all about the colours nowadays, coloured window frames are back in fashion.  Mainly grey mind.  Kitchens have evolved in storage options, but a fitted kitchen can’t really go any further.

Flooring has gone from laminate crazy to general mix and match over all finishes now I think.

Smart options around the house are big trend setters, but you can’t really see that stuff.

1 hour ago, Normanton Lad said:

Look at how quickly we went from the wright brothers flight to passenger jets and super sonic travel,  since then we have gone to..the same. 

I'm sure behind the scenes the planes are more sophisticated, but in reality we haven't progressed much in that respect. 

38 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Look at how quickly we went from the wright brothers flight to passenger jets and super sonic travel,  since then we have gone to..the same. 

I'm sure behind the scenes the planes are more sophisticated, but in reality we haven't progressed much in that respect. 

Indeed. Always amazes me that there were only 11 years between the maiden flight of the Lancaster bomber and the Vulcan. 

1 hour ago, Normanton Lad said:

I rarely watch TV but I put on the box last week and it was showing a Homes Under the Hammer type show from 2005. It looked like it could have been filmed yesterday. It didn't look dated. I'm watching OZ - a great show by the way - from 2000 and that doesn't seem dated in any way. But if in 1965 you saw a film from 1950 it would have almost looked like ancient history. 

Progress hasn't stopped. It's just moved to different, more profitable areas. 

Try watching Homes under the Hammer ON a TV made in 2005 and you'll see the progress.

Or reading this forum on a phone from 2005. Good luck with that.

Want internet speeds from 2005? Or mobile phone signal coverage? 

Want to go back to driving without SatNav?

The biggest overall change is the pretty much all the information in the world is there for free for anyone to use on the Internet. Want to learn a new language, fit a radiator, change a tyre? Just pop along to YouTube and what a video. 

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Progress hasn't stopped. It's just moved to different, more profitable areas. 

Try watching Homes under the Hammer ON a TV made in 2005 and you'll see the progress.

Or reading this forum on a phone from 2005. Good luck with that.

Want internet speeds from 2005? Or mobile phone signal coverage? 

Want to go back to driving without SatNav?

The biggest overall change is the pretty much all the information in the world is there for free for anyone to use on the Internet. Want to learn a new language, fit a radiator, change a tyre? Just pop along to YouTube and what a video. 

I think you are right about the free information. That has made an enormous difference to our lives. I've saved a lot of money by watching DIY videos, but a lot of these skills would have been common knowledge to most men in the generation before mine. For example, my dad could fix his own cars, he could do most plumbing and electrical work and he did wallpapering and painting to a professional standard. I can't remembering him asking anyone to do something for him. He would have been too embarrassed to ask. He did everything himself. I don't think he ever read a book because he was always busy doing things. Although we are learning new skills from Youtube it is not really progress. We are just trying to catch up on all the practical skills that we have lost.

I bought my current TV in 2006 and it is still working perfectly. It cost me about £1300 then and I can't see any difference in the quality between that and more modern TVs. Although that might be more to do with my eyesight than the progress of TV technology. The cost of TVs has gone down considerably.

My internet speed in 2005 was probably about 8 mbps. That was good enough for most things I needed. When I first got on the internet at home the speed was .5 mbps and that was in the mid 1990s. The increase to 1 mbps made a big difference. My first broadband speed was 4 mbps I think. I'm now on 200 mbps.

The satnav has got me into more trouble than I want to think about, but I can't imagine going on my annual holiday abroad without it.

4 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

Strangely, I was having this discussion with the missus a while back. We'd been watching a documentary about the Glastonbury festival and the copyright at the end showed it was made years ago (around 2007 I think), but the hair styles and clothes gave nothing away; it could have been anytime in the last 15 years. If the documentary had been made 15 years earlier, in the early 90s, you'd have been able to tell, and even more so 15 years before that, in the 1970s. 

As others have said, technology and the way we live our lives have changed a lot in the last 10 or 15 years (social media, smartphones, downloading and streaming, etc.), but fashion-wise there's been remarkably little change. I don't know why, but it's certainly remarkable when compared to previous decades in the 20th century.

Unless, as you say, it's just that we're getting old ?

1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

Strangely, I was having this discussion with the missus a while back. We'd been watching a documentary about the Glastonbury festival and the copyright at the end showed it was made years ago (around 2007 I think), but the hair styles and clothes gave nothing away; it could have been anytime in the last 15 years. If the documentary had been made 15 years earlier, in the early 90s, you'd have been able to tell, and even more so 15 years before that, in the 1970s. 

As others have said, technology and the way we live our lives have changed a lot in the last 10 or 15 years (social media, smartphones, downloading and streaming, etc.), but fashion-wise there's been remarkably little change. I don't know why, but it's certainly remarkable when compared to previous decades in the 20th century.

I don't know how old you are, but I think this may be an age thing.

I'm positive I'd be able to tell the difference between style in 2007 and 2020.

7 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think you can tell the difference but I don't think it's as significant as say 1985 - 2000

if we are talking progress,  look at games consoles.  Ps1 to Ps5 = 25 years or so. Obviously there is a progression but I would say Ps1 over Zx Spectrum was a far more significant progression in what, 10 years or so?

27 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think age is bound to be a factor, but compare photos of what people were wearing and hairstyles in say 1975 and 1985, and then compare 2005 and 2015. Massive difference between the 70s and 80s; the difference between 2005 and 2015 would be much more subtle I think.

7 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

I think you are right about the free information. That has made an enormous difference to our lives. I've saved a lot of money by watching DIY videos, but a lot of these skills would have been common knowledge to most men in the generation before mine. For example, my dad could fix his own cars, he could do most plumbing and electrical work and he did wallpapering and painting to a professional standard. I can't remembering him asking anyone to do something for him. He would have been too embarrassed to ask. He did everything himself. I don't think he ever read a book because he was always busy doing things. Although we are learning new skills from Youtube it is not really progress. We are just trying to catch up on all the practical skills that we have lost.

I bought my current TV in 2006 and it is still working perfectly. It cost me about £1300 then and I can't see any difference in the quality between that and more modern TVs. Although that might be more to do with my eyesight than the progress of TV technology. The cost of TVs has gone down considerably.

My internet speed in 2005 was probably about 8 mbps. That was good enough for most things I needed. When I first got on the internet at home the speed was .5 mbps and that was in the mid 1990s. The increase to 1 mbps made a big difference. My first broadband speed was 4 mbps I think. I'm now on 200 mbps.

The satnav has got me into more trouble than I want to think about, but I can't imagine going on my annual holiday abroad without it.

I remember getting my first 2mp digital camera, and think it was amazing. Now the selfie cam on most phones would be embarrassed it if was compared with such a lowly mp. 

I don’t think progress has stopped though. At New Years I was trying to work out what had changed significantly since the Millenium. We’re not all wearing tin foil, and driving hover cars, which is quite disappointing.

but then I remembered we didn’t have smart phones in 2000. That’s a pretty big change. Computer chips that can do trillions of processes a second. ducking TRILLIONS!!! And that’s before we get to quantum computing. 

4k TVs with 8k on the way. 

internet speeds that mean streaming isn’t just an option, for many it’s the only way they watch tele, traditional TV guides are a total thing of the past. And video calls are the norm, not just sci fi. 

the internet and apps giving us more and more functionality and information at our fingertips. 

Smart homes (my house choca block with smart kit, you should see it at sunset, all the lights turn on, the blinds all close, all in beautiful synchronicity. it’s a thing of beauty). 

Electric cars, with electric planes not too far away. Reusable spacecraft headed to Mars. The international space station. 

Progress in robotics and AI has been pretty phenomenal.

thjng is, we’d kind of mostly perfected a lot of things, so anything else is just about tweaking that perfection. A tv can get bigger with a clearer image. A camera can get more mps, a computer chip can get faster. But there’s not that much left that can get invented like a great big ‘wow, we never had that before, how did we ever survive without it!!’ anymore. 

7 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

I had a theory about this the other day. I think throughout the 20th century there was a lot of experimenting. That’s what fashions are. It’s experimenting. The fashions you can practically live with on a daily basis stick, and the more outlandish ones, by which you can recognise a certain era from a mile off, punk, massive flares, baggy, day-glo t-shirts, are eventually put to one side. We’ve now got to a point where we’ve filtered out so much crap style, that all we’re left with is all the good stuff we kept from all the eras. 

just like with tech, all the good stuff has already been invented. It’s now just about tweaking what we’ve already got.

inventing something new would be inventing for inventings sake, without any real purpose. 

I often say I would have loved to have lived 200 or 1000 years ago. There would have so much cool stuff to invent, and it really wouldn’t have been that difficult to invent the screw driver, or the lever if you had just a slightly enquiring mind. 

but these days you really do have to be a super genius to think of something that’s not already been invented. Or a fashion style thats not already been tried and left on the floor of the fitting room of history. 

25 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I often say I would have loved to have lived 200 or 1000 years ago. There would have so much cool stuff to invent, and it really wouldn’t have been that difficult to invent the screw driver, or the lever if you had just a slightly enquiring mind. 

Fascinating subject. 

Would love to see what tools were used to make some of the precision buildings 8,000 years ago.

Was there a hi tech system that has been lost and we've had to re-invent? Where would we be now if the ancient skills had been passed down and improved on generation after generation.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Fascinating subject. 

Would love to see what tools were used to make some of the precision buildings 8,000 years ago.

Was there a hi tech system that has been lost and we've had to re-invent? Where would we be now if the ancient skills had been passed down and improved on generation after generation.

A very wise man once told me that there are no ‘new’ inventions really.

There are endless discoveries waiting to be made.

Progress is having the genius to discover and the ability and determination to see things through.

”Give us the materials and we will finish the job!” W S Churchill.

Archived