Ryan Shotton

Topram

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite like this story. Buying the local pub where you grew up and turning out for the local non league outfit is a throwback to how players used to wind down their careers in the old days.

I imagine he'll be looking for a professional club in January though. He's only 32.

58 minutes ago, Anon said:

I quite like this story. Buying the local pub where you grew up and turning out for the local non league outfit is a throwback to how players used to wind down their careers in the old days.

I imagine he'll be looking for a professional club in January though. He's only 32.

Never really understood the vitriol directed at Shotton. He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Never really understood the vitriol directed at Shotton. He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible either.

I thought he was pretty bad for us, although he has performed better elsewhere. Not that he didn't have his moments, of course, but he really had some stinkers. The performance against Forest where Antonio ripped him a new ******** comes to mind. It played out directly infront of me and I can still picture Shotton crawling on the floor trying to stop a cross with utter anguish in his face. 

I'm also not sure turning out for a non-league side and the opposition promptly scoring 3 goals will play to his favour either, although I doubt any of the goals were directly because of him. 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

He wasn't very good whilst he was here. It was Mac's fault not his though. McClaren tried to jam a square peg in a round hole by setting up to play out from the back and then exclusively signing centre backs who couldn't pass. He's just one of the many cases that shows that whilst McClaren is a world class coach, he's not a great manager and shouldn't be allowed to sign players.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

He wasn't very good whilst he was here. It was Mac's fault not his though. McClaren tried to jam a square peg in a round hole by setting up to play out from the back and then exclusively signing centre backs who couldn't pass. He's just one of the many cases that shows that whilst McClaren is a world class coach, he's not a great manager and shouldn't be allowed to sign players.

behave, he was a budget signing, and proved to be about the par at this level. Every bit as good and bad as every other defender we have had at Championship level. You'd easily find someone who thinks every one of them wasn't very good.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

behave, he was a budget signing, and proved to be about the par at this level. Every bit as good and bad as every other defender we have had at Championship level. You'd easily find someone who thinks every one of them wasn't very good.

If he was par for the level at Derby he would've lasted more than 30 games before being moved on. I think he's performed well elsewhere. We simply asked him to do things he wasn't very good at.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

If he was par for the level at Derby he would've lasted more than 30 games before being moved on. I think he's performed well elsewhere. We simply asked him to do things he wasn't very good at.

Michael Keane couldn’t get in ahead of other players at Derby. 

Shotton was just not first choice in any of the positions. Doesn’t mean he was useless. Didn’t we make a profit? 

23 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

16 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Michael Keane couldn’t get in ahead of other players at Derby. 

Shotton was just not first choice in any of the positions. Doesn’t mean he was useless. Didn’t we make a profit? 

I thought he was a £1m signing who we ended up selling for a few hundred grand

Archived