Nigel Clough & Cocu similarities

10 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

@cheron85 there was a definite change. We went deeper and stopped trying to take the game to the opponent, allowing them more time on the ball. Whether that was by design, or by lack of fitness.... who knows? But it was clear.

But perhaps it was Bournemouth changing what they were doing!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DRBee said:

But perhaps it was Bournemouth changing what they were doing!

I was talking about the last few games in general. But no, Bournemouth didn't change anything from what I saw, other than they accepted the gift of Derby tailing off.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

You missed out the horror show at home against Burnley.........trying to work out why ?

and reading at home. and leicester at home.

We were a mid-table team and we started the season getting turned over at home by the eventual top 2 and reading (who always seem to do us). I'd say that was par for our then course.

But we COULD play at times and were starting to show that more often....

15 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

@cheron85 there was a definite change. We went deeper and stopped trying to take the game to the opponent, allowing them more time on the ball. Whether that was by design, or by lack of fitness.... who knows? But it was clear.

Okay well I didn't see the Bournemouth game but I thought the difference after half time against Cardiff and Forest was that they stepped up their games - I thought we were forced back for a period to which Cocu changed a couple of things and we came back into the games

I fully agree we were more on the back foot after half time in both of those games - We just obviously see different reasons causing it

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

None obvs. 

Tell me Cocu is a proactive, positive manager and we'll call it quits. 

Okay

Cocu is a proactive, positive manager

Are we done here? That was easy...

I think what we have at the moment is a lack of creativity throughout the team. 

What I mean by that is that with the best will in the world none of our defenders is likely to score more than a couple of goals across a season. 

Our midfield pairing of Shinnie and Knight is great but never likely to be prolific. 

That leaves a front three of Lawrence, Jozwiak and Waghorn who are likely between them to get perhaps 25-30 goals over the season. 

So, whilst we look tidy and more robust, we aren't going to be beating teams by more than the odd goal. 

We have to release the handbrake and take a risk to win games and may get the odd hammering as a result but winning one in three is the same as drawing three. 

We need 4-3-3 soon. 

26 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think what we have at the moment is a lack of creativity throughout the team. 

What I mean by that is that with the best will in the world none of our defenders is likely to score more than a couple of goals across a season. 

Our midfield pairing of Shinnie and Knight is great but never likely to be prolific. 

That leaves a front three of Lawrence, Jozwiak and Waghorn who are likely between them to get perhaps 25-30 goals over the season. 

So, whilst we look tidy and more robust, we aren't going to be beating teams by more than the odd goal. 

We have to release the handbrake and take a risk to win games and may get the odd hammering as a result but winning one in three is the same as drawing three. 

We need 4-3-3 soon. 

Agreed, take last season for instance, after Christmas we scored in every single league game apart from WBA away regularly scoring 2s & 3s - and that was with a 4-2-3-1, never mind a 4-3-3. Now we just seem to go for the 'frightened' 5-2-3 formation

Clough was and I think still is very bitter about him being removed from the club and I can partly understand why as he took the club from near relegation to a solid mid table outfit and replaced a lot of the highly paid trash with better quality players on much lower transfer fees and wages

As history proved unfortunately he was not able to mould this new talent into a team challenging for promotion which Maclaren did and we were never likely to make this quantum leap when he was in charge. 

Cocu doesn't have the habit of stammering during post match interviews yet though this may come in time and counterpointing each word with ummmm and also doesn't have the unfortunate habit of publically criticising his team so can't think of any other similarities. Starsign perhaps? Favourite type of tea?

Archived