U23s v Southampton

Day

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Pretty much every team at this level seems to play the same game.

It's great to watch, but there's not a great deal of emphasis on defensive tactics from anyone, most games are end to end and it's very rare you'll see an U23 / U18 team try to shut out the game. Lots of space for attacking play

If you can convince every other Championship team to treat play their U23 squads & tactics every match you might be onto something.

We do it particularly well though,hence our success over the past few years.

15 minutes ago, archram said:

3 cracking strikes for the goals. Great save from our keeper- the commentators seem to always say keeper and never his name.

Kornell's was the best one - the first team needs some of that run of the ball!

Deserves it, though - he's had a great game.

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

There was nothing lucky about it. Being in the right place at the right time through your own efforts isn't luck.

Now if the ball had cannoned off the keeper, hit a defender's arse and gone in, that would be lucky.

That's the point.....making your own luck means being industrious enough to get yourself in the right place and right time to be able to take advantage of an opportunity.

It's the opposite of luck,hence the saying.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

That's the point.....making your own luck means being industrious enough to get yourself in the right place and right time to be able to take advantage of an opportunity.

It's the opposite of luck,hence the saying.

Which is  exactly what makes the saying obsolete nonsense.

Don't get (or make time tbh) a lot of opportunity to watch the U23 games but I did today and thought it was great.  Our attacking play in particular was fast and to the point, something I've not seen in the first team for ages.  Not seen much of Archie Brown personally but I was impressed with him in particular. Great to see Ibe - not quite fit I thought but he's definitely still got it so I'm excited to see his return to the first team.  Glad I caught the game. We've got some right talent at the club. 

Some great performances , McDonald, Watson and many others with Duncan to come. I be showed some good skill, but needs to lose a bit of timber, his goal was outstanding, CB was also good, he is enormous. I’ve will be a bit away from the first team yet but good start, he has talent, impressed by the U23

Few observations...

Jordon still has it. Mooted that he's carrying some excess timber but I think he's just a ducking unit to be honest. An absolute joy to see him put a marker down which puts to bed some imponderables. If he retains his natural pace, he can be our Adama Traore - tricky, rapid and nigh impossible to push off the ball. 

Bielik - a couple of 'off the pace' comments but in fairness, I thought he did really well first game back after an ACL. Prior to their goal he was really disruptive in an understated way, winning plenty of ball he was not entitled to. Also liked how he kept things simple. The surging runs will come as he gets sharper but first game back this was a very measured, patient and disciplined performance. I remain utterly convinced that if remaining calm and healthy, he will prove to be a class apart in this division.

Lastly, I've eulogised endlessly about our U23's and how good they are to watch but before we bemoan the lack of such intent in the senior squad, it's worth remembering that the stakes are miles apart. Raising the profile of our youth set up and kudos are the only tangible benefits at academy level. The stakes are rather higher at senior level.

Good run out for Belick 

Ibe scored a good goal but looks to me to be carrying far too much weight 

Archie Brown looks to be one for the first team at some point in the season should anything happen to Buchanan and Forsyth 

Whittaker - scored a good goal and looks a threat  

McDonald looks tenacious and skillfull at RB.  We seem well stocked there with Ebosele to come back from injury. Ibe took a good corner and also should have had an assist but Whittaker put wide.

Anyone else really impressed by Idem in goal? Such a presence, good feet and very agile.  

Archived