Leaked document about badger cull

sonofmidnight

In Derbyshire we have a very effective badger vaccination scheme in place which has been partially subsidized by the government. I know this because I am a member of the mid Derbyshire badger group. It has now been proposed that Derbyshire be included in the list of counties that will cull badgers.  In my life time I have seen a massive decline in our native wildlife. I can remember seeing hedgehogs and badgers and various insects on a regular basis. I can't remember when I last saw a hedgehog and younger friends have only seen dead badgers at the side of the road. If lock down has taught us anything it is how valuable our countryside and wildlife are essential for our health and well being. I don't want my grandchildren saying there used to be badgers. Sorry if this is political but I need to speak up for the badgers and other wildlife. I

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

In Derbyshire we have a very effective badger vaccination scheme in place which has been partially subsidized by the government. I know this because I am a member of the mid Derbyshire badger group. It has now been proposed that Derbyshire be included in the list of counties that will cull badgers.  In my life time I have seen a massive decline in our native wildlife. I can remember seeing hedgehogs and badgers and various insects on a regular basis. I can't remember when I last saw a hedgehog and younger friends have only seen dead badgers at the side of the road. If lock down has taught us anything it is how valuable our countryside and wildlife are essential for our health and well being. I don't want my grandchildren saying there used to be badgers. Sorry if this is political but I need to speak up for the badgers and other wildlife. I

There is a lot of social media misinformation about Badgers being the reason Hedgehogs are dying out. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

There is a lot of social media misinformation about Badgers being the reason Hedgehogs are dying out. 

Hedgehogs are in decline due to lack of hedgerows and food. Intensive farming is also to blame. They are down from 30million to under 1 million and I can see badgers going the same way. 

Just now, Dappled Ram said:

Hedgehogs are in decline due to lack of hedgerows and food. Intensive farming is also to blame. They are down from 30million to under 1 million and I can see badgers going the same way. 

I agree. It is a right wing campaign so we don't address environmental and farming issues.  

Was it ever proved a few years back that badgers were the cause of TB in cattle? I remember there was some circumstantial evidence for it and that badger numbers were high at the time but there that wasn’t national (so evidence was for further south than the midlands).  I do remember talking to a few farmers through work even they were highly sceptical about the need for a badger cull around here.

Seems a bit of an odd one, even in a year where wildlife has pretty much flourished I’d say it’s pretty rare to see a badger or even evidence of one.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Can’t believe you’re a member of the Mid Derbyshire Badger Group, I’m a member of the North East Derbyshire Badger Group. We are aligned with the Markeaton branch of the Derbyshire Doggers Group. 

Splitters?

5 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

It's a good job @davenportram isn't reading this. 

On 18/08/2020 at 18:54, angieram said:

https://action.wildlifetrusts.org/page/65732/action/1

Derbyshire Wildlife Trust (who carried out the vaccination programme) doing lots of work to try and reverse this decision. I am fairly sure they got a reprieve previously so not quite sure why it's back on the agenda. 

You can sign their petition at the link above.

Seriously guys if you want to help our ever dwindling wildlife please sign this petition.

On 19/08/2020 at 13:58, Malagaram said:

I think you are wrong there,he wrote his car off by driving into a badger,should be taking more care when driving a killing machine.

It was suicidal, I slowed down it didn’t move, I moved across the road and it ran infront if me and spread itself under both front wheels. Damaged the sump

i hate badgers

Archived